Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Passenger Trains > My Trip to Springfield, MA from 9/5/20-9/12/20

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/13/20 13:08
My Trip to Springfield, MA from 9/5/20-9/12/20
Author: Passfanatic

With many states still on the COVID-19 hotspot list, I felt that for the sake of me, my family, my job, and my friends, I would travel on a vacation to a state that is not on the list of hotspots or close to becoming one. If I can help it, I would rather not do any 14 day quarantines especially because I have a job to return to that has been going very well with me. I decided why not spend a week in Springfield, Mass railfanning in the Springfield area and maybe doing a ride to the Hartford area. I followed through with my idea. On Saturday 9/5/20, I took Amtrak Train # 88 from Newark Penn Station to New Haven and originally was going to take Amtrak Valley Flyer Train # 488 from NHV to Springfield. However, 488 was running very late. It all started out when the station announcer at New Haven told passengers that there was a minor mechanical difficulty and the train would be running 15 minutes late. After 15 minutes late, 488 didn't leave the yard at New Haven and people were starting to get very annoyed including myself. I think there was only one more announcement between 15-30 minutes after the original departure time of 488 from NHV. There were no more annoucements for almost 30 minutes after 5:30. Amtrak Northeast Regional Train # 140 which was running on time into NHV was taking passengers who were supposed to take 488 without any penalty fee. I decided why not take 140 and I did. During my extra long layover in New Haven, I was able to photograph other Amtrak trains, some Metro North, and Ctrail trains. Let the pictures begin.

-ACS-64 # 602 on the head end of Amtrak Train # 88 after arriving at New Haven Union Station a few minutes ahead of schedule

-A rear view of the business class Amfleet I trailing Amtrak Train # 88 as it leaves NHV heading to Boston

-CTrail SLE Train arriving into New Haven Union Station with a Mafersa Set being pushed by a P40

Date: 09/13/20 13:13
Re: My Trip to Springfield, MA from 9/5/20-9/12/20

-MNR M8 set at New Haven Union Station

-Amtrak P42 # 108 passing the NHV Station platform to layover just east of the station in preparation to head up Amtrak Train # 140 from NHV to SPG after the Sprinter gets detached from the train

-Amtrak Train # 140 arrives into NHV Station with the Sprinter # 649 which will soon get replaced by P42 # 108

Date: 09/13/20 13:21

Pictures taken on 9/6/20
-Amtrak Ex-Metroliner Cab Car on an out of service Shuttle Train at Springfield Station

-Though Sunday, Amtrak was running their Saturday schedule so this is a view of Amtrak Train # 147 at SPG which I took to Windsor Locks

-In Windsor Locks, Ct along the canal near the Algonquin Power Company, northbound Ctrail Train # 6400 passes me as I stand on the second pedestrian bridge over the canal. I stand in the public access area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/20 13:25 by Passfanatic.

Date: 09/13/20 13:25

-P40 # 836, sporting the Connecticut Commuter Rail logo, shoves Ctrail Train # 6400 along the canal near the Algonquin Power Company in Windsor Locks

-Now P40 # 836 is back and this time it is leading Ctrail Train # 6401 along the canal in Windsor Locks. In a little under a half a mile, he will arrive at the Windsor Locks Station

-A typical Hartford Line consist of MBB cars protect Ctrail Train # 6401 as it heads away from me

Date: 09/13/20 13:31

-Amtrak Ex-Metroliner Cab Car leads northbound Amtrak Hartford Line Shuttle Train # 450 along the canal just after departing Windsor Locks Station almost a half a mile from where I took this picture-the first pedestrian grade crossing heading north

-P42 # 96 shoves Amtrak Train # 450 past the Algonquin Power Company in Windsor Locks

-Southbound Amtrak Valley Flyer Train # 461, being led by an Ex-Metroliner Cab Car crosses Rt. 140 in Windsor Locks with the new Montgomery Mill apartments on the right. In under a mile, 461 will arrive at Windsor Locks Station.

Date: 09/13/20 13:44

As long as if I am in Windsor Locks, I decide why not pay a visit to the Connecticut Trolley Museum. I was pretty impressed with what I saw, although I noticed trolleys that were not in the best shape. Here are three pictures inside the museum.

Date: 09/13/20 13:46

-The yellow trolley was the one that I rode on the excursion

-Passing a very old boxcar on the trolley excursion

-inside the trolley that I am riding as we travel into the woods in East Windsor

Date: 09/13/20 13:48

-two trolleys at the museum that weren't in good shape

-At last, one of the New Orleans Streetcars which is running as one of the excursion trolleys

-Looking east along the Connecticut Trolley Museum right of way

Date: 09/13/20 13:49

Some more pictures at the museum before I leave

Date: 09/13/20 13:58

Now, my visit to the museum is done and I Ubered to Windsor Locks Station. Even though I don't like the station from a business perspective, I decided to still get some shots there of the station as well as southbound Ctrail Train # 6455 which I took one stop to Windsor with the 836 leading four MBB Cars. The Windsor Locks Station is supposed to move about a mile north of the present location to a spot much closer to the downtown area as well as near these residential spaces along the Connecticut River.

Date: 09/13/20 14:09

-Northbound Amtrak Hartford Line Shuttle Train # 464 arriving and departing Windsor Station. The typical P42 and Amfleet Sets won't be around forever so this is the time to start getting as many pictures as possible of them before they are replaced.

Next group of pictures on 9/7/20
-the new building that is part of Springfield Union Station. This is the main entrance to the transportation center that handles Amtrak, Ctrail, Peter Pan and Greyhound Bus Lines, as well as Pioneer Valley Transit Authority

Date: 09/13/20 14:14

-In Windsor, Connecticut with the current station behind me, I had the pleasure of catching northbound CSO-4 freight train heading north on a nice Labor Day morning

-Northbound Ctrail Train # 6400 slows for its stop at Windsor, Ct Station with an ex-MBTA MBB cab car leading three other MBBs with a P40 pushing

-P40 # 840 pushes Ctrail Train # 6400 out of Windsor Station heading toward its next stop at Windsor Locks

Date: 09/13/20 14:16

-The Windsor Station building along with a new Ctrail Station sign

-The Farmington River Bridge that belongs to Amtrak's Springfield Line

-Southbound Ctrail Train # 6401 crossing the Farmington River just before arriving at Windsor Station

Date: 09/13/20 14:20

-Southbound Amtrak Valley Flyer Train # 461 being led by P42# 118 pulling two Amfleet I trailers and an Ex-Metroliner Cab Car arriving and departing Windsor Station on a nice Labor Day morning

-Northbound Ctrail Train # 6402 arrives into Windsor Station heading to Springfield, Mass from New Haven

Date: 09/13/20 14:27

-Even though it was Monday, because it was Labor Day, Amtrak was running a Sunday schedule. Southbound Amtrak Shuttle Train # 465 departs Springfield, Mass Station for its trip through the Connecticut River Valley and Central Connecticut. It will end its run at New Haven Station. I took this picture from the parking garage next to the viaduct.
                                                  Next group of pictures from 9/8/20
-On Tuesday morning, Sept 8th, I headed over to the old West Springfield Station to see if anything was running on the CSX Boston & Albany but I wasn't able to get any train on camera. I got to see the tail end of one as I arrived to the tracks here. Anyway, here is a picture of an old station in W. Springfield, now a church.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/20 13:36 by Passfanatic.

Date: 09/13/20 14:44

-Looking east along the CSX former Boston & Albany Main through West Springfield with the old W. Springfield station behind me

-Viewed from the Connecticut Riverfront Walkway, we are looking east along CSX's Boston Line and the junction with Amtrak's Springfield Line

-Amtrak Train # 449, being led by P42 # 145, has just departed Springfield Station and is about to head underneath the pedestrian bridge where I was standing when I took this picture

Date: 09/13/20 14:51

-Amtrak Train # 449 heads away from me and across the Connecticut River into W. Springfield heading to Albany and Chicago.

-Amtrak Shuttle Train # 475 has just started its journey on the Springfield Line just after departing Springfield Union Station. I took this picture from the riverfront walkway

-A pedestrian underpass beneath Amtrak's Springfield Line leading to the Riverfront Park in Springfield

Date: 09/13/20 14:56

-Amtrak P42 # 99 leads northbound Amtrak Train # 474 through Springfield along the riverfront on the left and Downtown Springfield on the right. I took this picture from the Memorial Bridge overpass. In a few minutes, it will end its run at Springfield Union Station.

-Southbound Amtrak Shuttle Train # 417, being led by an Ex-Metroliner Amfleet Cab Car, has just departed Springfield and rounds the very sharp curve onto the Mill River Springfield Line right of way bound for New Haven, Ct

-Looking down Amtrak's Springfield Line as viewed from the Memorial Bridge in Springfield, MA

Date: 09/13/20 16:22

These next group of shots were taken on 9/9/20.

-Viewed from the pedestrian overpass near the Basketball Hall of Fame, we have a southbound Amtrak Shuttle Train with a P42 leading heading to New Haven with an Ex-Metroliner Car bringing up the rear

-View up Amtrak's Springfield Line with the Skyline of Downtown SPG in the background

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/20 13:35 by Passfanatic.

Date: 09/13/20 16:27

A few Ctrail trains going in different directions as I took the pictures of them from the pedestrian overpass near the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1998 seconds