Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Passenger Trains > North American Railway Stations Part 25

Date: 09/14/20 03:44
North American Railway Stations Part 25
Author: andersonb109

This is the the former Interurban Terminal building in Milwaukee. It is currently the cities Public Services Building. The large green doors are where the cars entered.  I found it quite by accident while looking for the site of the Milwaukee Road's Everett Street Station demolished in the mid 1960's. I've never seen a color street side photo of that great station. But the last photo in this series is my kit bashed Walther's model of the structure (two kits combined to do the complete station, not the cut down version the kit provided). 

Date: 09/14/20 03:45
Re: North American Railway Stations Part 25

A few more details and historic plaque.

Date: 09/14/20 03:48

Here's the Walther's model of the nearby Milwaukee Road Station. It's replacement will be posted tomorrow. 

Date: 09/14/20 05:57
Author: KimHeusel

Great find!! Thanks for posting.

Kim Heusel

Date: 09/14/20 08:08
Author: agent1522

Great pictures.  While there, did you try to locate where the former C&NW station was?  I know it was a lakefront location and was torn down to make room for an expressway interchange. On previous trips I've found some abandoned tracks that might have led to the station.

Date: 09/14/20 10:19
Author: BRAtkinson

agent1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great pictures.  While there, did you try to locate where the former C&NW station was?  I know it was a lakefront location and was torn down to
> make room for an expressway interchange. On previous trips I've found some abandoned track that might have led to the station.

As the Google map shows, Former C&NW station site SE quadrant of Wisconsin Ave & Cass St  (Michigan St terminated at Cass and forced everyone to northbound Cass)  there's no trace whatsoever of the forner C&NW station.  If you go south on the map to where the line crossed the Milwaukee River west of the southernmost point of Summerfest, the old swing bridge is still there and maybe a track or two.  Going northward from the station, all the tracks from there to Wiscona in North Milwaukee are gone.

In the '50s & 60s, I rode with my Mom many times while dropping my Dad off at that station (or the Milwaukee Road station) on his weekly trips to Chicago and beyond for business.  I must have ridden with him about 50 times as a youngster. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/20 10:24 by BRAtkinson.

Date: 09/14/20 13:02
Author: boejoe

Great job on the kit construction.

Date: 09/14/20 18:09
Author: IC_2024

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great job on the kit construction.

Agreed — well done, Bruce! I had an idea to use that same one to recreate IC’s Central Station, but never got motivated to do it.
This one captures the Everett St MILW depot in all its glory !

Date: 09/14/20 21:49
Author: coach

The private RR's built truly amazing, beautiful, inspriing, welcoming stations back then.  Spectacular, really.  I so wish I could have seen them.

Great model!!!!!!!!!

Date: 09/15/20 15:22
Author: krm152

Absolutely excellent photos wonderfully capture this historical treasure.
Thanks for restarting with #24.
ALLEN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds