Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Passenger Trains > Airlines: we want our CARES money

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/17/20 06:55
Airlines: we want our CARES money
Author: Lackawanna484

American Air and Southwest met at the White House this morning. Either give us pay check protection forgivable grants, or we will lay off 35,000 people and drop "hundreds" of outlying airports.

This industry specific request excludes Amtrak, but is consistent with requests from restaurant industry, hotels, health services, and office developers.

This is clearly intended as a shot across the bow of both the House and Senate to get a bill completed. Nobody wants to lose their airport

Stay tuned...

Posted from Android

Date: 09/17/20 07:07
Re: Airlines: we want our CARES money
Author: andersonb109

Opening in restaurant dining with reasonable restrictions and eliminating quarantine requirements when entering certain cities and states would also help the situation.

Date: 09/17/20 07:28
Author: Molino

I want a second stimulus check in my bank acount.

Date: 09/17/20 07:39
Author: Juniata

Hell; I’d settle for a FIRST stimulus check in my bank account.

Molino Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want a second stimulus check in my bank acount.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/17/20 08:01
Author: Valleyman

So let me get this straight, Airlines, Amtrak, Restaurants, Hotels and so on. Want tax payers to foot the bill so they can sit at home and collect a paycheck? Or instead of sitting at home collecting a pay check, they plan to fly empty planes. Staff empty Hotels and any other business not currently open. Why not raise taxes to fund CARES! Oh wait, continue to print more money and devalue the US dollar even more. Does anyone on this site think there’s no ceiling on the National debt? The ceiling is when we can’t pay the interest on the debt. 

Im not against helping the down and out. However, about 90% of the people who have died from COVID19 had underlying conditions or were over 80. Why not protect that group. That means, no visiting grandma and grandpa, people with health issues need to stay home. The rest of us wear masks and get back to work.

Valleyman

Date: 09/17/20 08:36
Author: trainjunkie

Hey, didn't you get the memo? You are not allowed to use logic based on current science and medical statistics to suggest a reasonable return to normalcy. You must live in fear. At least until November 4th.

Date: 09/17/20 09:36
Author: BobB

trainjunkie Wrote:
> Hey, didn't you get the memo? You are not allowed
> to use logic based on current science and medical
> statistics to suggest a reasonable return to
> normalcy. You must live in fear. At least until
> November 4th.

Unfortunately every country that has tried a real reopening has seen cases and deaths spike (Spain, Israel, for instance, not to mention Florida).  Precautions are going to have to remain at least until there's a good vaccine and a lot of people have taken it.

Date: 09/17/20 11:14
Author: masterphots

If some airlines can't make it in this environment,  then go ahead and furlough workers, leave airports, etc. and let's seen what happens.  IATA is looking at 2023 or later before air travel gets back to 2019 levels and they don't see premium bookings ever recovering.   So let's see how much Congress really cares about some small airports here and there,  where fares are usually so high most drive to the nearest big airport.   Meanwhile, Delta just sold $9 billion of bonds/collateralized loans.   They had projected demand for $6.5B,  but the issue was so oversubscribed they obtained $9B.   And no furloughs in the cards either.   Maybe AA, UA and SW should look at DL and perhaps learn something.

Date: 09/17/20 11:18
Author: masterphots

BobB Wrote:
> trainjunkie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey, didn't you get the memo? You are not
> allowed
> > to use logic based on current science and
> medical
> > statistics to suggest a reasonable return to
> > normalcy. You must live in fear. At least until
> > November 4th.
>
> Unfortunately every country that has tried a real
> reopening has seen cases and deaths spike (Spain,
> Israel, for instance, not to mention Florida). 
> Precautions are going to have to remain at least
> until there's a good vaccine and a lot of people
> have taken it.

Your three examples are all where people resisted wearing masks, keep their distance, etc.   As valleyman posted above, wear a mask and let's get back to work.  And there probably won't be a good vaccine available worldwide until well into 2021 if not later.  So we'd better learn to deal with the reality of living with C19 and go about our business.

Date: 09/17/20 11:34
Author: Lackawanna484

Congress is deathly afraid of losing local airport feeder service to rural areas / congressional districts.  Much more than they're concerned about three days a week rail service.

Date: 09/17/20 11:43
Author: wabash2800

Let's just forget the unemployment addition and give everyone $5000, that ought to stimulate stimulate the economy for those working and help out those unemployed...

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Molino Wrote:
> I want a second stimulus check in my bank acount.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/20 16:19 by wabash2800.

Date: 09/17/20 12:04
Author: railcity

wabash2800 Wrote:
> Let's just forget the unemployment addition and
> just give everyone $5000, that ought to stimulate
> stimulate the economy for those working and help
> out those unemployed...
>
> Victor A. Baird
> http://www.erstwhilepublications.com
>
>
> Molino Wrote:
> -----
> > I want a second stimulus check in my bank
> acount.

They should have giving everyone 1 Million Dollars to each person USA in the first round in March?? That would cost around 330 Million Dollars. But give 99% of the Money too Big Company and not the little people that really needs it.

Date: 09/17/20 12:28
Author: TAW

railcity Wrote:

> They should have giving everyone 1 Million Dollars
> to each person USA in the first round in March??
> That would cost around 330 Million Dollars.

mmmm....330 million million dollars

TAW

Date: 09/17/20 14:12
Author: cchan006

Valleyman Wrote:
>  Or instead of sitting at home collecting a pay check,
> they plan to fly empty planes. Staff empty Hotels and
> any other business not currently open. Why not raise
> taxes to fund CARES! Oh wait, continue to print more money and
> devalue the US dollar even more. Does anyone on
> this site think there’s no ceiling on the
> National debt? The ceiling is when we can’t pay
> the interest on the debt. 

The planes I've been on were "empty" (1/5 - 1/10 capacity) in March and April, but since then, airlines have adjusted their routes/frequencies, and in the last 3 months, they were filled better than 50%, some full. Other TO members who have travelled by air recently can vouch for that as well. I flew American, Alaska, Southwest, and United domestically.

I'm not disagreeing with your premise - I'm a little surprised they (AA and SWA) want more stimulus money. Looks like many got drunk on our "boom" economy and can't deal with a recession, COVID or not. See masterphots' comments above, where one airline, Delta, is doing something about it.

As for interest, note how powers-to-be have been pushing the interest rates lower? (They already know)

As for inflation (printing money), there are off topic ways to deal with it, always painful. Bursting an asset bubble is a way to make wealth "disappear" for example. This isn't a pleasant topic, especially during election season where people are ready to point fingers.

Date: 09/17/20 14:19

masterphots Wrote:
> Your three examples are all where people resisted
> wearing masks, keep their distance, etc.   As
> valleyman posted above, wear a mask and let's get
> back to work.  And there probably won't be a good
> vaccine available worldwide until well into 2021
> if not later.  So we'd better learn to deal with
> the reality of living with C19 and go about our
> business.

Vaccine "narrative" has become highly political, unfortunately. As SARS of the 2000s have taught us, it has been difficult to find an effective vaccine for various strains of the coronavirus, and it's not from lack of trying with more than a decade of research. So yup, the rest of us have to make adjustments and go about our businesses.

Date: 09/17/20 14:22

trainjunkie Wrote:
> Hey, didn't you get the memo? You are not allowed
> to use logic based on current science and medical
> statistics to suggest a reasonable return to
> normalcy. You must live in fear. At least until
> November 4th.

People ignorning the COVID politics, but instead focusing on what medical professionals (instead of the overrated term "science") are saying, irrational fear can be controlled. Some TO members are finding that out, as well as many people in a few states I've visited in the past few months.

Date: 09/17/20 14:41
Author: sphogger

"Meanwhile, Delta just sold $9 billion of bonds/collateralized loans.   They had projected demand for $6.5B,  but the issue was so oversubscribed they obtained $9B.   And no furloughs in the cards either.   Maybe AA, UA and SW should look at DL and perhaps learn something."
Zombie company bonds bought by The Federal Reserve?

sphogger

Date: 09/17/20 14:45
Author: abyler

TAW Wrote:
> railcity Wrote:
> -----
>
> > They should have giving everyone 1 Million
> Dollars
> > to each person USA in the first round in
> March??
> > That would cost around 330 Million Dollars.
>
> mmmm....330 million million dollars

Meh, what’s 6 orders of magnitude error between friends?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/17/20 14:58
Author: dcfbalcoS1

I don't want the stimulus check crap. I want this country back to work and let's stop this charade.

Date: 09/17/20 15:27
Author: mp51w

Our local Comfort Inn is near capacity today!  So there is some recovery in the travel sector, mostly because of the automobile in this case.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0648 seconds