Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Passenger Trains > Food on Amtrak

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/19/20 16:22
Food on Amtrak
Author: RvDs57

We are taking No 6 from Sacramento to Chicago next week, we have done this a couple of times before within the last few years.
I understand that the food has changed recently.  If anyone would like to comment .... is it decent or should I buy a 6 pack of 
double-doubles from In n Out and fast freeze them for the trip.

Date: 09/19/20 16:58
Re: Food on Amtrak
Author: RevRandy

O, you will open a hornet's nest with this one!

Food in the dining cars are for sleeping car passengers -- the cafe selections in the lounge car are about the same as always. 

Many do not like the current meals (Flexible Dining) served in the diner/rooms because they are not freshly-prepared.  Others do not like them because of their own particular tastes or preferences.

I, for one, like the meals.  They are complete (salad, hot roll with butter, entree, and brownie/blondie dessert ... more continental for breakfast but a decent breakfast sandwich).  When properly heated in convection ovens, they can be quite tasty.  I particularly like the Shrimp in Lobster Sauce, Pasta with Meatballs, and the Enchiladas.  The Western trains have more options than the Eastern ones. do. 

Be sure to look at: https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/Flexible-Dining-Menu-West-0720.pdf

Enjoy the trip.  

Date: 09/19/20 19:09
Author: Molino

Didn't Amtrak used to have employee's who were trained Chef's?
Now somebody just pulls a frozen meal in a bowl out to zap it ??    

Date: 09/19/20 19:25
Author: dcfbalcoS1

And those salads are pretty much able to fit easily into a tiny desert cup. No need for salad dressing as there is not enough lettuce to put it on.

Highly reccomend bringing food with you and even calling fast food places way ahead of time to see if they will deliver to you at some Amtrak stops !! Amtrak does NOT care about your meals and will be happy when they no longer have to provide anything. Remember: Livestock was required to be unloaded, fed and watered over half a century ago. They were treated better than you are in today's time as far as eating on Amtrak.

Date: 09/19/20 21:24
Author: wzd

True, but the livestock had a different final destination.

Date: 09/19/20 21:25
Author: goduckies

Lol hyperbole much lol

Posted from Android

Date: 09/19/20 21:34
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

The last In-N-Out eastbound on Amtrak #4 SWChief is Kingman, Ariz, about four miles east of Amtrak Kingman Station.
https://locations.in-n-out.com/201-Kingman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/20 21:35 by Lurch_in_ABQ.

Date: 09/19/20 21:50
Author: pdt

Molino Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Didn't Amtrak used to have employee's who were
> trained Chef's?
> Now somebody just pulls a frozen meal in a bowl
> out to zap it ??    

Is Amtk transportation, or a tourist dinner train?   Havent seen many chefs on airplanes, busses, or ferries recently.

Date: 09/19/20 21:59
Author: railcity

pdt Wrote:
> Molino Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Didn't Amtrak used to have employee's who were
> > trained Chef's?
> > Now somebody just pulls a frozen meal in a
> bowl
> > out to zap it ??    
>
> Is Amtk transportation, or a tourist dinner
> train?   Havent seen many chefs on airplanes,
> busses, or ferries recently.

I would ever take Food from Restaurants on Amtrak, more things to carry on board and where are you going too Heat the food up at?? for LD trip and being on train for few days with that food??

Date: 09/19/20 22:20
Author: Mudrock

You can always do what I do is take you voucher to the cafe car and get you decent food there.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/20 22:21 by Mudrock.

Date: 09/19/20 22:32
Author: PHall

RvDs57 Wrote:
> We are taking No 6 from Sacramento to Chicago next
> week, we have done this a couple of times before
> within the last few years.
> I understand that the food has changed recently. 
> If anyone would like to comment .... is it decent
> or should I buy a 6 pack of 
> double-doubles from In n Out and fast freeze them
> for the trip.

How do you plan to thaw and heat them? There are no public use microwaves on the train.

Date: 09/20/20 01:29
Author: SP4360

If you are in a sleeper, eat the box, throw out what's inside.

Date: 09/20/20 03:56
Author: andersonb109

There are chefs on VIA's Canadian  At least when it used to run. And on Delta, where there are no chefs, the food is pre cooked but NOT pre-plated. So you can get it the way you want. Filet as good as any restaurant cooked medium to well. Sauce or on the side. Etc. On Amtrak you take what they want you to eat. Do to personal tastes, I will now do only one night on an LDT and have substantial meal prior to boarding.  Dunkin or Tim Hortons brought on board works just fine for breakfast. They do still have OJ. What is really missing is the social experience in the diner. Now it's just bare and empty although on Superliners you can eat your meal there. On eastern trains, at least the two I've been on since the virus you are forced to eat in your room. 

Date: 09/20/20 04:48
Author: Flyer92122

It's got so bad the title of your  thread is an oxymoron for all intents. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/20 17:17 by Flyer92122.

Date: 09/20/20 06:52
Author: ns1000

SP4360 Wrote:
> If you are in a sleeper, eat the box, throw out
> what's inside.

Do you like yours plain or with salt and pepper....:<)

Posted from Android

Date: 09/20/20 08:28
Author: RvDs57

Thanks for the comments, yes we do have a sleeper. I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves.  

Date: 09/20/20 09:18
Author: emd_mrs1

andersonb109 Wrote:

> What is really missing is
> the social experience in the diner.

and thank goodness!

Michael

Date: 09/20/20 09:33
Author: 2839Canadian

To heat the food you brought with you you will need a Sterno Oven and fuel.  Available at most Wal Marts.  

Date: 09/20/20 10:35
Author: wilewil

Yes there were some trained chefs on Amtrak (and in their training center), they even sent some to the CIA (Culinary Institute).  They had an extensive training program in Wilmington.  That was before political demands to make meals "break even".

Of course, today, due to the virus, they have to minimize for safety. and they have to contend with reduced demand.

I think you should look at Rev Randy's previous post with a picture of his meal on 97.  It looks to me to be very much like any "fast casual" establishment's offerings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/20 10:39 by wilewil.

Date: 09/20/20 12:33
Author: SP4360

Another unsocial person heard from. Too busy with your nose buried in your phone to interact with people?

emd_mrs1 Wrote:
> andersonb109 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > What is really missing is
> > the social experience in the diner.
>
> and thank goodness!
>
> Michael

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0682 seconds