Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Passenger Trains > North American Railway Stations Part 54

Date: 10/13/20 03:07
North American Railway Stations Part 54
Author: andersonb109

Another station that requires little introduction. Of course it's the famous Washington Union Station.  After years of neglect including a pre-fab station built out back where the end of the tracks now are, the station was restored to it's original splendor. Included are shops, restaurants, a food court, great hall without a pit in the middle (that's a different story), and plenty of Amtrak, MARC, and VRE trains. Currently there are plans for development of air rights over the tracks. Lets hope they are kept a a low enough height so as  to not take away from the frontage view of the station. 

Date: 10/13/20 12:36
Re: North American Railway Stations Part 54
Author: krm152

Have benn through there and have cjanged trains there many years ago.
Thanks for posting this great series.
ALLEN

Date: 10/13/20 13:08
Author: agent1522

I remember That big hole in the middle.  I kept wondering where the replica GG1 was. 

Date: 10/13/20 13:55
Author: andersonb109

Good one. I thought of that as well first time I visited the hole. For those who aren't aware, the station was turned into a visitors center during the 1976 bi centenial. Carpet and everything. Few visited as the cities attractions such as the U.S. Capitol Bldg. were right outside the main enterance. 

Date: 10/13/20 15:23
Author: WP17

I have been curious for a long time where the Amtrak station (and what it looked like) was located from the mid 70s until the station was restored in the late 80s. By station I'm referring to the ticket windows, baggage check, and waiting area.

Can someone indicate where the Amtrak facility was located and any photos would be really helpful.

Thanks
WP17

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0346 seconds