Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Passenger Trains > l.a. metro to consider eliminating fares......

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 10/13/20 06:21
l.a. metro to consider eliminating fares......
Author: goneon66

Date: 10/13/20 06:35
Re: l.a. metro to consider eliminating fares......
Author: SAAP

A homeless shelter on wheels

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/13/20 06:58
Author: andersonb109

So people who actually use the service wouldn't have to pay. But those that don't get an increased tax burden. Why on Earth would anyone think this is a good idea?  

Date: 10/13/20 07:12
Author: portlander

Excellent!

Date: 10/13/20 07:32
Author: choodude

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So people who actually use the service wouldn't have to pay. But those that don't get an increased tax burden. Why on Earth would anyone think this is a good idea?  

For the same reason that folks that use highways think it is a great idea that over half of the costs of roads are paid for by your property taxes and general revenue taxes.

Brian

Edit.

In a civilized society, many services are provided and paid for by citizens who may not be using that particular service.

I'm paying for your road even though I don't use it. I'm paying for schools even though I don't use them. There's a pretty long list.

By your mindset, apparently you should live on a mountain top by yourself away from Civilization. You won't be able to have food brought in because the services needed for such a task will not be paid for by you. Good Luck, especially in the winter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/20 08:28 by choodude.

Date: 10/13/20 07:39
Author: Lackawanna484

In NY, the cost of collecting fares was a high % of total fares prior to MetroCard. I don't know the current %.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/13/20 07:55
Author: dan

some of the lines out in the LA area are free now thought a friend told me, he is out there riding today : he said ;   LA metro and and Santa Monica big Blue busses are not collecting fares, But LA Metro and is charging to ride their light rail and subway system.
 L.A Metro buses and Santa Monica Big Blue Buses are not collecting fares. But L.A. Metro is charging to ride their light rail and subway system.L.A Metro buses and Santa Monica Big Blue Buses are not collecting fares. But L.A. Metro is charging to ride their light rail and subway system. 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/20 15:42 by dan.

Date: 10/13/20 08:06
Author: milepost20

andersonb109 Wrote:
> So people who actually use the service wouldn't
> have to pay. But those that don't get an increased
> tax burden. Why on Earth would anyone think this
> is a good idea? 

The people of Luxembourg and their elected representatives--who are citizens
of planet Earth--obviously feel it is a good idea.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/luxembourg-free-public-transport/index.html

Date: 10/13/20 08:24
Author: joemvcnj

There are Fare-Free zones in some American city transit systems.

Date: 10/13/20 08:42
Author: 4451Puff

When I opened the article to read, an automobile ad popped up offering a loan with a term of SIX years. Maybe the interest from those loans will be the funding source for this "free" service being proposed. 

Date: 10/13/20 08:43
Author: goneon66

milepost20 Wrote:
> andersonb109 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So people who actually use the service wouldn't
> > have to pay. But those that don't get an
> increased
> > tax burden. Why on Earth would anyone think
> this
> > is a good idea? 
>
> The people of Luxembourg and their elected
> representatives--who are citizens
> of planet Earth--obviously feel it is a good
> idea.
> https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/luxembourg-free
> -public-transport/index.html

are you comparing an affluent country with a great economy to a transit system with a deficit that is in NEED of revenue/funding?

Date: 10/13/20 08:49
Author: RRBMail

> are you comparing an affluent country with a great
> economy to a transit system with a deficit that is
> in NEED of revenue/funding?

Not sure what your question means. But in my view, he is comparing a First World transit cuntry to a country sliding toward Second World transit status. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/20 09:48 by RRBaron.

Date: 10/13/20 08:57
Author: PHall

goneon66 Wrote:
> https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/news/metro-mig
> ht-make-bus-and-rail-service-free-in-los-angeles-0
> 82720
>
> 66

This is for Metro, which is the busses and light rail only. Does not include Metrolink.
Metrolink is an entirely different agency that covers five counties. LA Metro is only in LA County.

Date: 10/13/20 09:27
Author: bradleymckay

SAAP Wrote:
> A homeless shelter on wheels
>
> Posted from iPhone

LOL! Probably true at night.

Allen

Posted from Android

Date: 10/13/20 09:29
Author: dan

don't take the elevators at these places, they have secondary uses

Date: 10/13/20 09:38
Author: 4451Puff

dan Wrote:
> don't take the elevators at these places, they
> have secondary uses

Not just limited to the elevator.....https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Human-waste-shuts-down-BART-escalators-3735981.php

Date: 10/13/20 10:15
Author: robj

Other countries besides Luxomberg - Lets look at Japan, Great Britian, France, China
1/2 the cost of highways are subsidized?.  Not sure where that comes from but if at all correct, probably an aggregate.  to make a comparison you would have to evaluate each region.
Having said that, a motorist who works pays both halves, of the highway, direct thru fuel taxes, and indirect thru share of other taxes plus the cost of transit.

Problems - Whether right or wrong you can lose political support - people who do not have access or it does not work for them who have to buy a car, insurance, gas, maintain a car may be less supportive of a free ride system.

Success may lead to need for increased need for capital expendetures
Lack of success - you are providing a service you cannot give away, and probably does little to mitigate congestion.
You no longer have even small amount of your "own" revenue and become totally dependent on the political winds.

Bob

Date: 10/13/20 10:30
Author: trainjunkie

milepost20 Wrote:
> The people of Luxembourg and their elected
> representatives--who are citizens
> of planet Earth--obviously feel it is a good
> idea.

Wow. This is the dumbest argument ever. Luxembourg (the country) is a quarter of the size of just Los Angeles COUNTY and has a population of less than 700K compared to LA County's 10 million. Why do people assume what works in some countries should automatically work in the U.S.? 

Date: 10/13/20 11:06
Author: Lackawanna484

Paying $3 or $4 per gallon in federal fuel taxes will make a difference in comparing France or Switzerland to the US.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/13/20 11:28
Author: pdt

Almost as dumb as me not being able to read a thread about passenger  trains without comments from "BitterOldMen.com"

The only reasoin I can see for making LA county transit free, is if the cost of collecting the money is greater than the money coming in.   OTOH, even if collecting fares is break even, if it provides jobs for ppl, i wouldnt eliminate it.

And, unfortunately, I have to agree, that if its free, homeless ppl will start to live on the trains and busses.

The homeless....Yes, Its a big problem in the temperate climate cities.     Seems to me that most of the homeless have some sort of mental functionality problem..whether from alcohol, or drugs or mental illness.  I just dont think you can dust these ppl off, and say, OK, show up at work at 7am 5 days a week.  It seems to be outside their ability.  And basic things like saving money to pay for food or rent seems outside their ability too.  They live in the present only. 

My suggestion would be to rehab some old buildings , and have community living with cots, and  bathrooms.  Basic food could be provided by a food bank.    It wouldnt be a hotel with separate rooms for everyone, just very basic shelter.
Ive known ppl who have been homeless at times, and they have all had drug use problems,  an inability to plan anything in advance  , problems with dealing with any kind of authority (like a boss telling them what to do at work) and very poor decision making skills. 

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0728 seconds