Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Passenger Trains > The Silver Meteor in better days!

Date: 10/13/20 15:56
The Silver Meteor in better days!
Author: RFandPFan

Amtrak #98 at Alexandria, Virginia in 1995.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/13/20 16:34
Re: The Silver Meteor in better days!
Author: regalstream1516

Thank you for posting this neat video.  I remember the incredible Corridor to Florida business that Amtrak inherited and gradually ruined.  This is a perfect example of what Amtrak and our apathetic political leadership has allowed to be ruined.  The train in this video has multiple sleepers, a slumbercoach, dining and lounge options, with coaches.  A capacity of more than 700 passengers.  High prices, sorry service, and marginal equipment have left us what we have left today.  Sad state of affairs.

Date: 10/13/20 19:57
Author: Raja

Now THAT is a train!

Date: 10/14/20 05:22
Author: jeff56

This Silver Meteor served both coasts. The Tampa section is first with a sleeper; coaches and lounge.
The Miami section starts with the diner, 2 sleepers, Slumbercoach and coaches. The split was made
either in Auburndale or Jacksonville.

Date: 10/14/20 05:28
Author: WM1977

When my family and I rode this train in late 1995 the split was made in Jacksonville.
CR

Date: 10/14/20 05:33
Author: ctillnc

> High prices, sorry service, and marginal equipment have left
> us what we have left today.  Sad state of affairs.

You're ignoring the fact that in 1995, Southwest Airlines wasn't yet a significant player along the east coast. Jetblue hadn't been founded. Low-cost airline nonstops between NEC cities and Florida cities was just as much of a factor (if not more so) in the loss of Amtrak patronage than Amtrak's own foibles. Last time I calculated it, prior to COVID-19 the airlines were offering about 10,000 seats a day on nonstops from NEC cities to Florida cities. In the mid-1990s the number was probably a quarter of that, and fares on American, United, US Air, Continental, Delta, etc were relatively higher. 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/20 05:36 by ctillnc.

Date: 10/14/20 05:44
Author: Lackawanna484

Amtrak has its problems delivering consistent service from the NY area to Florida. It has been a lucrative market for decades.

Stuff happens. Preferences change. I think the movement of folks from Northeast to FL will continue to generate seasonal travel.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/14/20 07:00
Author: MEKoch

Amtrak wasted the opportunity for Florida travel (airlines & cars not withstanding).  It is the biggest travel destination in the U.S.   And now Amtrak is on path to exit the long distance passenger business.  The SCL, IC, PRR, L&N, FEC, SOU railroads will be "turning over in their graves" when end comes.  They had multiple train and services and Amtrak has pissed it all away.

Date: 10/14/20 07:22
Author: Lackawanna484

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amtrak wasted the opportunity for Florida travel
> (airlines & cars not withstanding).  It is the
> biggest travel destination in the U.S.   And now
> Amtrak is on path to exit the long distance
> passenger business.  The SCL, IC, PRR, L&N, FEC,
> SOU railroads will be "turning over in their
> graves" when end comes.  They had multiple train
> and services and Amtrak has pissed it all away.

I'm not sure I would say that "Amtrak pissed it all away". Customer preferences and expectations change over time.

My sister and her health impaired husband decided to take Auto-Train as part of a quick round trip from FL to NY this week.  The trip north was a perfect trip, in a sleeper, great car attendant, OK food, etc. Hit a tree, and still got in over an hour early, before the car unloaders showed up.

The trip back was a disaster. The train left Lorton two hours late due to a late inbound train.  A train ahead hit a trespasser, leading to a few hours delay. Later, they had to wait for a relief crew. A freight train derailment ahead led to a few hours delay. Another crew change out. and the train arrived about 11 hours late. An apparently short staffed car loading crew took about 90 minutes to get their car.

Plenty of never again customers, even though only a small part of this was Amtrak's fault,  Get on a plane, and you're there in two hours, versus 30 hours.

Date: 10/14/20 07:33
Author: bluesboyst

It's sad and a disgrace.....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds