Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Passenger Trains > Days of 3 times a week operation - No need to ask on Train Order

Date: 10/16/20 01:35
Days of 3 times a week operation - No need to ask on Train Order
Author: mundo

Long Distance Schedules Change to Tri-Weekly  Please keep for referance.Effective October 2020Due to COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting decrease in travel demand, most Amtrak long distance routes will operate tri-weekly beginning this October.Routes Impacted
  • California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Lake Shore Limited, Palmetto, Southwest Chief and Texas Eagle
  • The Auto Train will continue to operate daily between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL.
  • The Silver Meteor and Silver Star will continue to operate a combined daily service between New York City and Miami, effective July 6, 2020.
  • Cardinal and Sunset Limited will continue to operate on their current tri-weekly service.
Schedule Update
  • The new schedule reflects day of week changes only. All stations along the route will be served on days in which Amtrak service is offered and all scheduled departure/arrival times will remain the same.
  • The new schedule is designed to preserve east-west and west-east connections. The long distance hub in Chicago will offer arrivals and departures primarily on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
  • Customers will continue to have the option to book coach or a private room.
  • Customers traveling the Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited and Palmetto will also have the option to book in Business Class.
Impacted customers with existing reservations are being re-accommodated. For more information, see the details below or visit Amtrak.com and click on "Schedules."Effective Week of October 5, 2020
California ZephyrTrain #5 (Westbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Wednesday/Saturday
Train #6 (Eastbound) departs Emeryville, CA: Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday                                              Capitol LimitedTrain #29 (Westbound) departs Washington, DC: Wednesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #30 (Eastbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/SaturdayCity of New Orleans      Train #58 (Northbound) departs New Orleans: Wednesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #59 (Southbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/SaturdayCrescentTrain #19 (Southbound) departs New York: Tuesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #20 (Northbound) departs New Orleans: Tuesday/Thursday/SundayEffective Week of October 12, 2020
Coast StarlightTrain #11 (Southbound) departs Seattle: Monday/Wednesday/Saturday
Train #14 (Northbound) departs Los Angeles: Monday/Wednesday/FridayLake Shore LimitedTrain #48 (Eastbound) departs Chicago Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #49 (Westbound) departs New York: Wednesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #448 (Eastbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #449 (Westbound) departs Boston: Wednesday/Friday/SundaySouthwest ChiefTrain #3 (Westbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #4 (Eastbound) departs Los Angeles: Tuesday/Thursday/SaturdayTexas EagleTrain #21 (Southbound) departs Chicago: Tuesday/Friday/Sunday
Train #22 (Northbound) departs San Antonio: Tuesday/Friday/SundayEffective Week of October 19, 2020
Empire BuilderTrain #7 (Westbound) departs Chicago Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #8 (Eastbound): departs Seattle: Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #27 (Westbound) departs Chicago: Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #28 (Eastbound) departs Portland, OR: Tuesday/Thursday/SaturdayPalmettoTrain #89 (Southbound) departs New York: Monday/Thursday/Saturday
Train #90 (Northbound) departs Savanah: Wednesday/Friday/Sunday 

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/tri-weekly-long-distance-schedules.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/20 01:37 by mundo.

Date: 10/16/20 03:19
Re: Days of 3 times a week operation - No need to ask on Train O
Author: mp51w

I appreciate the connectivity with the Eastbound SW Chief to the Eastern long hauls, but not having #4, and I'm being somewhat parochial, running to Chicago on Fridays is a great loss.
That trip, always one of the busiest, and sold out quite often, was one of the highest traffic generators for Kansas stops through to Galesburg.  Conversely, the return trip on Sunday afternoons, often sold out, is also not part of the tri-weekly schedule.  The college traffic at University of Kansas at Lawrence, and Truman State at Kirksville(La Plata) was substantial and growing!

Date: 10/16/20 08:55
Author: Molino

As much mainline railroad that exists in this country, it baffles foreign visitors the glaring voids in service in this country.

The circuitous route one is required to take to get from Los Angeles to Florida is an example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/20 08:56 by Molino.

Date: 10/16/20 09:23
Author: tq-07fan

Not included in this schedule rundown is what days the Florida Silver Service trains run via Tampa. Train 91 Silver Star Southbound SAT, SUN, MON. Train 92 Silver Star Northbound THU, FRI, SAT. Other days you are on the Silver Meteor using the bus connection and going direct between Miami and Orlando or beyond. Please note these are the actually days the trains are in Tampa and not the endpoint start days.

Jim

Date: 10/16/20 12:42
Author: highgreengraphics

So, thinking about the semaphores remaining on the Raton Line, that would mean westbound 3 at Las Vegas, NM station stop on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday, eastbound 4 at Las Vegas, NM station stop on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. And nothing on Mondays then, all correct? === === = === JLH 

Date: 10/16/20 17:46
Author: dan

fri and sun are the days to fan the semaphores iirc, these are 2 train days

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/20 17:49 by dan.

Date: 10/16/20 18:09
Author: goneon66

Molino Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As much mainline railroad that exists in this
> country, it baffles foreign visitors the glaring
> voids in service in this country.

in this day and age on the internet, how can ANYBODY be baffled?

> The circuitous route one is required to take to
> get from Los Angeles to Florida is an example.

Date: 10/16/20 18:43
Author: ProAmtrak

I hope Amtrak gets through this in decent shape like the other modes, I for one still hope Flynn is a good CEO and restores these trains daily as promised

Posted from Android

Date: 10/17/20 14:06
Author: OmahaTom

Perhaps I'm a little overly invested in railroading on an emotional level, but I've got to admit, this post literally made me cry. Amtrak has always been a constant in my life. My dad took a picture once of me standing trackside as the Zephyr sped through Ralston, NE. I was 3 years old in that picture, and I've been going out to greet Amtrak at least once a month since then. I'm 38 now, and Ive ridden Amtrak all over this beautiful country while it's taken me places and taught me things I would have never been able to without it.It has provided me with some of the best, most cherished memories that I have ever known, consistently, at every stage of my waking life. I pray that service is able to return to daily and that the long distance routes can not only survive, but thrive, for many generations to come. Long Live Amtrak. Pictured is my wife Beth and me on the Zephyr in July 2020, also my brother and me on the Capitol Limited in 1990.

Tom Loftus
Omaha, NE

Date: 10/18/20 04:31
Author: mp51w

Oh!  That's a great photo of you in your childhood days!  Many memories of riding in dome cars!
You know, I never had my picture taken in one, although I have several dome interior photos that I have shot myself!

Date: 10/18/20 10:34
Author: Winnemucca

I share your feelings OmahaTom. I too have a close personal relationship with the Zephyr after 10 years of Amtrak On Board Services, mostly on the 5 and 6. Yes, I am hopeful for not only the restoration of daily service but an expansion of long distance rail service. But, I am afraid we will have to fight for it.

Amtrak's mismanagement is OCD about "reducing costs" to the point of not providing service. Once this mightmare of covid is done we will have to insist, thru our Congressional representatives, on daily service as a minimum on all long distance routes. Legislation will have to be passed mandating this. Amtrak's mismanagers will footdrag all the way unless they are forced to improve things.

If you are not already a member, I suggest joining Rail Passengers Association and supporting them financially to the degree you can. They have proven (as National Association of Railroad Passengers before the name change) to have been an effective voice and advocate for rail passengers in Congress.

We have a real shot at improving things after the election. Reportedly Biden has stated he wants to "clean house" of Amtrak's current batch of mismanagers. Consider your vote this election season accordingly. 

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 10/18/20 11:10
Author: dan

Well with covid, it is worse now here in colo than ever if i understand correctly, one report says 1 in 250 people here are affected, maybe trains should be for those folks that have little other choice currently?    Amtrak managment seems to be discouraging travel, perhaps this is why the decisions that have been made exist?

I too am deeply sadened with current situation?  Too bad there isn't an auto train type service where people could be in their cars for trips, yet have access to bathrooms , diners and domes...on an appointment basis perhaps.

Date: 10/18/20 11:57
Author: justalurker66

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well with covid, it is worse now here in colo than ever if i understand correctly,
> one report says 1 in 250 people here are affected, maybe trains should be for
> those folks that have little other choice currently?

Colorado is about 26th in new infections per population over the past week (about 16 new cases per 100k population). That is a peak for the state. Overall Colorado ranks 43rd with 1.4% of the population being infected at some point during the pandemic and 32nd in fatalities losing 0.03779% of the population so far. Not bad - but only because other states are worse.

Studies are showing air travel to be safe when people are wearing masks. Actively infected people should not be traveling so I'm not sure who you mean by "folks that have little other choice". (I would like to see a study on the air circulation of a train car to see if air is circulated out at the same level as an aircraft. Air travel does have the benefit of shorter durations for exposure on long trips.)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1234 seconds