Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Passenger Trains > NJ proposed add to Newark Penn

Date: 10/25/20 07:57
NJ proposed add to Newark Penn
Author: Lackawanna484

Newark is proposing an addition to the sales tax on parking. A Skywalk to Newark Penn station from the Prudential Center arena is touted as an improvement.

https://www.nj.com/essex/2020/10/newark-plans-new-pedestrian-skyway-and-commuters-are-going-to-pay-for-it.html

Posted from Android

Date: 10/25/20 09:07
Re: NJ proposed add to Newark Penn
Author: rbenko

Looking at the renderings, it appears they're going to utilize the existing ex-CNJ Newark branch bridge over the corridor, or at least build it in the same place.  The branch bridge over McCarter Highway also is extant (I used to park on that bridge 20 years ago).  It does make sense, and will be a heck of a lot more convenient in getting to/from NPS to the Prudential Center than walking through the streets.  I'm sure the existing vendors in NPS  (mostly fast food/liquor stores) aren't crazy about the idea, since it will decrease walking traffic past their stores in the crucial pre- and post-event "rush" hours. 

Date: 10/26/20 06:23
Author: march_hare

Elevating foot traffic off of downtown city streets has a bad reputation among urban planners. I'm not well versed enough to judge, but for instance the construction of overhead walkways in Cincinnati has not made for a better downtown. Not in my view anyway. 

Date: 10/26/20 06:47
Author: Lackawanna484

Newark has a few overhead walkways, mostly in the vicinity of Penn Station.  In the view of real estate developers, they are good for business.  That rationale is they are private spaces, so you can chase out homeless people, use your own security, etc.   As well as keep travelers out of the rain, snow, etc.

I don't know if it's still the case, but the Newark City Subway / Newark Light Rail used to offer free service in the downtown zone between Penn Station and NJ Institute of Technology.

Date: 10/26/20 07:09
Author: joemvcnj

There is a "Tunnel Fare" for about half fare to and from Warren-NJIT. It is not valid outbound 4pm-6pm, and no good on the Broad Street branch.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/26/20 15:42
Author: rbenko

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Elevating foot traffic off of downtown city
> streets has a bad reputation among urban planners.
> I'm not well versed enough to judge, but for
> instance the construction of overhead walkways in
> Cincinnati has not made for a better downtown. Not
> in my view anyway. 

I agree with you for the most part - however, this isn't really a covered walkway - it's only partly covered where it goes over the tracks and McCarter Highway.  I'd consider this proposal more of an extension of Penn Station.  The rest of the walkway between McCarter Highway and the Pru Center is outside, and it is basically laid out on the ROW of the CNJ's Newark branch (The Arena is built right where the station tracks used to be).  

Additionally, the facade of the CNJ's Broad Street Station still exists on Broad Street (west of the Prudential Center) - I thought it was originally going to be an entrance to the Prudential Center from Broad Street, but it looks like that was never built.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds