Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Passenger Trains > Denver-Moab via Rocky Mtn Railtours

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 11/19/20 09:03
Denver-Moab via Rocky Mtn Railtours
Author: dan

starting next august, RMR is trying to gear up, and secure a future operation from $1250 a couple with a night stay in GSC

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/rocky-mountaineer-will-launch-a-new-train-journey-in-the-usa-for-2021-301176711.html?fbclid=IwAR0Mb4bArCM3f1g0p-WMYqBRmWWBAnrSmLAaaK3h9wJVDa2wvFMdhhbYqNM

a lot of things need to be done still i think, wonder if colo railcar cars can even fit thru the moffat?  

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2020/11/19-digest-rocky-mountaineer-to-launch-colorado-utah-route?fbclid=IwAR02zx3K_rCcyWKB_6x3wEPMQMZyPvPAQyO6aNdBA_cfrERe_wMzZx-siOE#.X7aILxht3Qk.facebook

picutres taken from loan ranger filming at the mine

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/20 10:44 by dan.

Date: 11/19/20 09:17
Re: Denver-Moab via Rocky Mtn Railtours
Author: co614

Might work although they've materially hurt their image by refusing to return peoples deposits when trips got canceled because of Covid. There's a number of lawsuits in progress on that. My WAG is that we won't be far enough along with a vaccine by next summer to make this work?? Time will tell. 

Ross Rowland 

Date: 11/19/20 09:31
Author: jp1822

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Might work although they've materially hurt their
> image by refusing to return peoples deposits when
> trips got canceled because of Covid. There's a
> number of lawsuits in progress on that. My WAG is
> that we won't be far enough along with a vaccine
> by next summer to make this work?? Time will
> tell. 
>
>    Ross Rowland 

I have been wating for something like this for YEARS! However, it has taken a pandemic for them to launch said service? And they are going to be accepting deposits right away!!! Has RMR NOT learned their lesson already??? I find the timing and announcement of this suspicious.......

Date: 11/19/20 10:15
Author: Cumbresfan

Moab is the location of Arches National Park. However, the railline is a spur ending at an uranium mill in Moab undergoing mill tailings cleanup (removal for burial elsewhere). My looking at the most recent Google Earth photos show no wye either at the uranium mill or at the junction with UP at Crescent Junction. However, there is a wye shown at Thompson, 6 miles east of Crescent Junction, but from the photos, it doesn't look in service. They may bus passengers to Moab either from Thompson, Crescent Junction or from a stop by the Moab airport or elsewhere along the spur.

BTW, I've been on the Amtrak route from SLC to Denver numerous times. The trip through Ruby Canyon west of Grand Junction is less known than the Colorado River from Moffat Tunnel to Glenwood Springs but just as beautiful. It is only accessible by train and river rafting.

Date: 11/19/20 10:23
Author: robj

I don't think the line ends at the Uranioum cleanup site  but continues to a Potash plant.  Don't remember the Y at thompson but everthing there is kinda defunct, no idea what the status would be but think a run-a-around would do.  At any rate don't hink Moab would want to hear cleanup site is in Moab, it is definately out of town.  Arches is only one of the attractions there.  Didn't read what the plans are but excursions could go to many places

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/20 10:25 by robj.

Date: 11/19/20 10:34
Author: Earlk

The Crane Creek Branch does not actually go to Moab.  The nearest it gets to the town is a couple of hundred feet above on the side of a mountain, where it ducks into a tunnel.  They would have to construct a station a ways north of Moab where the RR is closer to highway level.

Date: 11/19/20 10:38
Author: WP17

Is there any indication they have approached the UP and secured permission to run the train. 

WP17

Date: 11/19/20 10:49
Author: robj

Earlk Wrote:
> The Crane Creek Branch does not actually go to
> Moab.  The nearest it gets to the town is a
> couple of hundred feet above on the side of a
> mountain, where it ducks into a tunnel.  They
> would have to construct a station a ways north of
> Moab where the RR is closer to highway level.

Again, the branch continues into another canyon to Potash mine, no way of knowing if the mine would be amenable but loading could be done there. Freight train is once a week.  There is good highway out of that area to Moab.

Bob

Date: 11/19/20 11:46
UP's Cane Creek Subd - Rocky Mtn Railtours-?
Author: cozephyr

March 18, 2010 the uranium tailings were being loaded onto the Union Pacific train on UP's Cane Creek Subdivision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/20 11:49 by cozephyr.

Date: 11/19/20 12:39

Earlk Wrote:
> The Crane Creek Branch does not actually go to
> Moab.  The nearest it gets to the town is a
> couple of hundred feet above on the side of a
> mountain, where it ducks into a tunnel.  They
> would have to construct a station a ways north of
> Moab where the RR is closer to highway level.

Right you are. I didn't see the tunnel but thought it strange the track supposedly ended at a cliff face!

Date: 11/19/20 12:47

robj Wrote:
> I don't think the line ends at the Uranioum
> cleanup site  but continues to a Potash plant. 
> Don't remember the Y at thompson but everthing
> there is kinda defunct, no idea what the status
> would be but think a run-a-around would do.  At
> any rate don't hink Moab would want to hear
> cleanup site is in Moab, it is definately out of
> town.  Arches is only one of the attractions
> there.  Didn't read what the plans are but
> excursions could go to many places
>
> Bob
On the west bank of the Colorado river and only a couple of miles as the crow flies. Another attraction is Canyonlands National Park but for just a quick day trip, I believe Arches would be the best attraction.

Date: 11/19/20 12:48
Re: UP's Cane Creek Subd - Rocky Mtn Railtours-?
Author: Jimbo

From the Rocky Mountaineer website:

"Journey through two days of extraordinary landscapes. Vast canyons, inspiring deserts, natural archways and enchanting hoodoos are just a start. Available in SilverLeaf Service, this Rocky Mountaineer rail route is filled with highlights best seen by train, including Ruby Canyon, Mount Logan and crossing the Continental Divide."

Note it says Silver Leaf service, which uses the converted single-level coaches.  Not mentioned is Gold Leaf service, using the bi-level cars.

https://www.rockymountaineer.com/train-routes/rockies-red-rocks 

Jim

Date: 11/19/20 13:48
Author: goduckies

If I can stand outside, sign me up!

Posted from Android

Date: 11/19/20 14:22
Author: Jimbo

goduckies Wrote:
> If I can stand outside, sign me up!

I would hope so, unless UP has objections.  On the Silver Leaf cars in Canada you can stand in the vestibules with the top door open, most of the time.

Jim

Date: 11/19/20 14:24
Author: CZ10

Jimbo Wrote:
> From the Rocky Mountaineer website:
>
> "Journey through two days of extraordinary
> landscapes. Vast canyons, inspiring deserts,
> natural archways and enchanting hoodoos are just a
> start. Available in SilverLeaf Service, this Rocky
> Mountaineer rail route is filled with highlights
> best seen by train, including Ruby Canyon, Mount
> Logan and crossing the Continental Divide."
>
> Note it says Silver Leaf service, which uses the
> converted single-level coaches.  Not mentioned is
> Gold Leaf service, using the bi-level cars.
>
> https://www.rockymountaineer.com/train-routes/rock
> ies-red-rocks 
>
> Jim

Would the bi-level cars even clear Moffat Tunnel?  Either that, or they don't have enough for both Canadian operations.  I rode them around 2013 between Vancouver and Calgrary (Gold Leaf) and totally enjoyed their service. 

Date: 11/19/20 14:51
Author: 41bridge

Wikipedia says Moffat Tunnel good for 24’. High enough for any car in North America.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moffat_Tunnel

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/20 14:58 by 41bridge.

Date: 11/19/20 15:25
Author: niagara484

41bridge Wrote:
> Wikipedia says Moffat Tunnel good for 24’. High
> enough for any car in North America.
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moffat_Tunnel
>
> Posted from iPhone

IIRC, the Moffat Tunnel isn't the clearance problem.  There are other tunnels/locations on the line that are more restrictive.  Double stacks are a no-go.  I know I've seen video of trains on the Moffat Line with Hi-cubes and auto racks but I don't remember if the latter were open or closed.  I'm also sure I've seen images of a military move in recent years where the equipment didn't quite fit with the usual comical results.

niagara484

Date: 11/19/20 15:26
Author: joemvcnj

What about under RTD's 25kv catenary at and near Denver Union Station ?

Date: 11/19/20 16:31
Author: jp1822

RMR would likely not be able to have patrons go out side in the open air areas of the Gold Leaf coaches (more than likely), so hence, they are using the Silver Leaf single level cars. That would be my presumption. The Gold Leaf service could be too much of a liability with their overall operations and clearance potentially as well. The $1,250 rail price sounds more Silver Leaf oriented too! RMR has more Gold Leaf dome cars than Silver Leaf cars, I believe, so this may push them to convert more of their former Red Leaf Coach Cars to Silver Leaf cars . Regardless, development and operations should be interesting. Food prep in Gold Leaf is amazing and very good. Silver Leaf still gets good food service, but not as good as what Gold Leaf would be. I think there's LOTS of opportunity for RMR to expand into the US. Surprised it has not been done before now. There's other routes - even stemming from Denver - that could be interesting for RMR to operate on. I was a patron and supporter of RMR at one time, but there more business practices and general ops have made me turn sour toward them. Too bad Colorado Rail Car couldn't have gone after this type of market directly. They would have had some cool equipment to operate on - and even manufactured some of the original RMR cars (including the original Silver Leaf cars!).    

Date: 11/19/20 17:12
Author: march_hare

co614 Wrote:
> Might work although they've materially hurt their
> image by refusing to return peoples deposits when
> trips got canceled because of Covid. There's a
> number of lawsuits in progress on that. My WAG is
> that we won't be far enough along with a vaccine
> by next summer to make this work?? Time will
> tell. 
>
>    Ross Rowland 

Yup. This is torture for me. A line I've driven along, never seen a train on, and maybe I could ride it?

But with an outfit that did WHAT to its last customers?  

decisions, decisions. 

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1084 seconds