Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Passenger Trains > Passenger Trains of Texas: Rock Island

Date: 11/21/20 12:51
Passenger Trains of Texas: Rock Island
Author: stuporchief

Has anyone read the new book, "Passenger Trains of Texas: Rock Island"? If so, I'd be interested in your opinion.

Date: 11/21/20 14:46
Re: Passenger Trains of Texas: Rock Island
Author: PVSfan

I have. I highly recommend it!
Author Steve Goen did his research well and has included lots of photographs, information, and ephemera unknown to most readers.
I especially like his format of listing passenger trains in chronological order of discontinuance.

If there is a weakness, I'd say it was the chapter on the GOLDEN STATE.  Much more could have been included.
By the way, the TRRA Historical Association has announced a whole special issue for that train in November 2021.

Steve's next book is the Ft. Worth & Denver including its operation on the Burlington-Rock Island.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/20 20:41 by PVSfan.

Date: 11/21/20 18:17
Author: stuporchief

Awesome! I'll order mine tomorrow. Thanks.

And though I'm sure I'd enjoy more about the GS, the other trains listed should be quite enough.

Date: 11/21/20 20:02
Author: UP951West

I own that same Rock Island book by Steve Allen Goen as well .  I like the photos in it.   That same author put out a book last year on the Texas passenger trains of the Cotton Belt . 

Date: 11/26/20 19:05
Author: Arkrail

If you are into passenger trains in Texas, or passenger trains on the Rock Island, buy it.  Excellent research, good photos, nice job.  If there is a criticism, its too much of a focus on Texas without addressing factors that were affecting these passenger trains outside of Texas.  The trains didn't operate in a vacuuum, and factors affecting operations didn't start or end at the state line.  Admittedly, Steve titled the books for the area he wanted to cover, Texas.  I think he has done a better job of "global" discussion with this Rock Island book than with the first one, the Cotton Belt book, although I would highly recommend getting both, as well as the next ones when they come out.
Bill

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0339 seconds