Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Passenger Trains > FL: Disney confirms BrightLine station plan

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/23/20 10:10
FL: Disney confirms BrightLine station plan
Author: Lackawanna484

BrightLine's Orlando to Tampa extension will get a station with access to Walt Disney World, via the Disney Springs center, according to Disney.  The long rumored, greatly desired, and much discussed station is a key component in BrightLine's profit model.

Florida Today has the details

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2020/11/23/disney-springs-get-brightline-station-part-orlando-tampa-train-route/6391016002/

Date: 11/23/20 10:30
Re: FL: Disney confirms BrightLine station plan
Author: Typhoon

I see this as being great for people from Southern Florida going to WDW.  I don't see this as being a big deal for people coming from the airport and staying on Disney property.  Their Magical Express service, which is included with your stay, is just a much better product than what BrightLine will offer.  

Date: 11/23/20 12:39
Author: 2904

Interesting that they're going to build a new station in Ybor City when a nearly empty Tampa Union Station is only a mile away.

Date: 11/23/20 12:57
Author: ClubCar

Typhoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see this as being great for people from Southern
> Florida going to WDW.  I don't see this as being
> a big deal for people coming from the airport and
> staying on Disney property.  Their Magical
> Express service, which is included with your stay,
> is just a much better product than what BrightLine
> will offer.  
And how do you know what Bright Line will offer?  They may have some kind of express service in the making also considering that they will eventually be going to the airport.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 11/23/20 13:14
Author: rbenko

ClubCar Wrote:
> And how do you know what Bright Line will offer? 
> They may have some kind of express service in the
> making also considering that they will eventually
> be going to the airport.

Exactly - and the airport station will be complete before (or at the very least the same time) as the Disney station.

Date: 11/23/20 13:26
Author: Macster

rbenko Wrote:
> ClubCar Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And how do you know what Bright Line will
> offer? 
> > They may have some kind of express service in
> the
> > making also considering that they will
> eventually
> > be going to the airport.
>
> Exactly - and the airport station will be complete
> before (or at the very least the same time) as the
> Disney station.

The airport station is already completed, just not the tracks to the station at this time. They are moving quick though! 

Really interested in the Orlando to Tampa segment. That'll be a hot market. The commuter rail aspect will be something else if they do run it.

Date: 11/23/20 13:37

ClubCar Wrote:
> Typhoon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I see this as being great for people from
> Southern
> > Florida going to WDW.  I don't see this as
> being
> > a big deal for people coming from the airport
> and
> > staying on Disney property.  Their Magical
> > Express service, which is included with your
> stay,
> > is just a much better product than what
> BrightLine
> > will offer.  

> And how do you know what Bright Line will offer? 
> They may have some kind of express service in the
> making also considering that they will eventually
> be going to the airport.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

Brightline's product is out there.  It is nice, I am not saying that.  However it is not much better than the Magical Express bus.   It doesn't matter what kind of express service Brightline offers, they can't offer single seat service to the hotels, which the Magical Express does.  Brightline can't run fast enough between the airport and the Springs station to make up for the time it will take to change modes to get to the hotel.  Some of the hotels are a 15 minute bus ride from the Springs themselves, as the Disney resort has the "blessing of size."  The buses also run, at least pre Covid, on 20 or so minute headways.  Does anyone really thing Brightline will do the same?  Time is money on vacation, and Brightline won't be competitive here.  And of course, since Magical Express is included with your Disney Resort stay, it is also real money.

https://touringplans.com/blog/2012/07/25/frequently-asked-questions-about-disneys-magical-express/

Again, Brightline will be a fantastic option for those coming from South Florida, or the East Coast.  However just because it is a train, doesn't automatically make it better for transportation from the airport.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/20 13:44 by Typhoon.

Date: 11/23/20 14:08
Author: Erierail

bright line probably not interested in the air port shuttle. They are looking to link orlando to south Florida and the cruise ports

Posted from Android

Date: 11/23/20 15:06
Author: SanDiegan

Erierail Wrote:
> bright line probably not interested in the air
> port shuttle. They are looking to link orlando to
> south Florida and the cruise ports
>
> Posted from Android

The more stations, the more potential trip pairs. Hopefully, they will get to Tampa sooner rather than later.

Date: 11/23/20 15:14
Author: ts1457

SanDiegan Wrote:
> The more stations, the more potential trip pairs.
> Hopefully, they will get to Tampa sooner rather
> than later.

Yes, and then it builds the Jacksonville leg.

Date: 11/23/20 15:58
Author: MEKoch

I understand the Brightline model for stations, so that they become the economic engine for the neighborhood, and thus enrich Brightline, as well as the surrounding community.  Palm Beach and Boca Raton seem to be models that are working well.  But in Tampa, (I am not at all familiar with the city) is the Amtrak Tampa station in a good location for such a model?   And is Brightline's proposed site in Ybor City a much better location?  

Date: 11/23/20 17:07
Author: ronald321

To those who think existing bus service from Tampa-to- Orlando (Disney), will be better than  future 110MPH trains, is just not  familiar
with the delays often experienced on Interstate 4 between these cities.

Plus, narrow bus seating  simply cannot compare to the spacious Brightline (Siemens) cars.

Apparently Disney agrees with this -- or they would not be interested in building a rail station on their property.

(PS:  for all we know, these buses may be operating at a loss--and Disney may be glad to get rid of them)

Date: 11/23/20 17:46

ronald321 Wrote:
> To those who think existing bus service from
> Tampa-to- Orlando (Disney), will be better than 
> future 110MPH trains, is just not  familiar
> with the delays often experienced on Interstate 4
> between these cities.

Who said anything about Tampa to Disney?  The conversation was about service from the Orlando airport to WDW. 

> Plus, narrow bus seating  simply cannot compare
> to the spacious Brightline (Siemens) cars.

I have ridden both. For the 1/2 hour ride there is not a big enough difference to even consider. 
>
> (PS:  for all we know, these buses may be
> operating at a loss--and Disney may be glad to get
> rid of them)

Disney includes them in the cost of the stay.  More importantly it helps keep people captive in the Disney "bubble".  It makes it less likely for a guest to go spend money on I drive or at Universal.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/20 17:47 by Typhoon.

Date: 11/23/20 18:07
Author: ronald321

Typhoon

read the first post again-- it's all about Tampa

Disney wanted to do the same thing way back in 2009 -before our  Governor killed the  Tampa-Orlando  project, and refused to accept $2B in
Stimulus money --remember?  Disney wanted a station on their property even then, and so did Universal.

At the time, I remember Disney was even willing to guarantee minimum revenue for the trains. -- with all kinds of tie-ends with their cruise ships, etc..
which I am sure Disney is still very much interested.

Date: 11/23/20 18:13
Author: Lackawanna484

ronald321, thanks for mentioning this.  I had forgotten that the Tampa, Disney, and Universal stations were part of President Obama's national corridors project.  You are entirely correct in mentioning that.

far larger than just Florida, that 110 - 150 mph network of brand new train lines was intended to launch a new way to travel. That seems like so long ago.

Date: 11/23/20 18:37

ronald321 Wrote:
> Typhoon
>
> read the first post again-- it's all about Tampa

Ronald321 read the article linked in the first post. 

"Brightline will offer a car-free connection to the millions of visitors from around the state and the world who plan to make Walt Disney World Resort part of their vacation plans"

Those coming from the "world" are not coming via Tampa.  

Date: 11/24/20 02:47
Author: pennengineer

I know nothing of Orlando-area geography, the layout of WDW, or the transportation options available, but nevertheless...

...might Brightline be of any use for Disney employees' commutes? One often overlooked fact of airport transit connections is that airports -- like Disney World and its adjoining facilities -- are major job centers with thousands of employees commuting daily. These daily commutes compose a significant portion of the passenger-miles that such services provide. And commuters, who, in stark contrast to tourists, don't have luggage to deal with, might find a transit option that is independent of roadway congestion quite interesting. Or am I off the mark here?

Date: 11/24/20 05:05
Author: chrsjrcj

IIRC, Brightline still needs to negotiate with FDOT regarding ROW to Disney. Last I heard was FDOT wanted Brightline to build to Tampa while Brightline wasn't ready to make that full commitment yet. 

Date: 11/24/20 05:18
Author: ldstephey

This will all become much more interesting to us locals if and when they tie into Sunrail.  That, too, is being discussed.

Date: 11/24/20 05:31
Author: ldstephey

rantoul Wrote:

> All parties agreed to suspend project due to
> Covid.

Did you miss that the article was from MARCH?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/20 05:36 by ldstephey.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0834 seconds