Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Passenger Trains > Happy Thanksgiving All

Date: 11/26/20 17:50
Happy Thanksgiving All
Author: BoilingMan

I posted some of these a few years ago, but they're still worthy for today-  Thanksgiving dinner for the crew aboard #11 (Coast Starlight) about 30yrs ago.  We had our own turkey and fixings, separate from the menu served upstairs.  These photos are all the more poignant today- a full kitchen crew of 4 and a Steward with 4 Waiters.  Probably 6 or 7 Train Attendants too- and this was before the Starlight was upgraded with the Parlor Car etc!
Had we know where this would all end up in 2020 we'd have been all the more thankful!
SR

Date: 11/26/20 17:54
Re: Happy Thanksgiving All

Date: 11/26/20 18:17
Author: SanDiegan

The Good Old Days

Date: 11/26/20 19:33
Author: IC_2024

Wow, there’s Carolyn (Laidlaw)Harris ( Espee engr Art Laidlaw’s Daughter) on the left; Glen ? , and Sandra ( can’t remember her last name, either) but she was sleeper Attendant Don “Cadillac’s” girlfriend.
Good old days, indeed— Happy Thanksgiving, SR, and thanks for sharing!

Date: 11/26/20 20:27

And Conductor Pimm-
Surely you remember Bob Pimm!

That was fun crew to work with- all hard workers on a hard working run (14&11 were considered the toughest duty LA Crew Base had), but we sure enjoyed ourselves!
SR

Date: 11/26/20 20:35
Author: BOBDRGW

14 & 11 - 4 long days on rewarded by 6 days off.  A lot of the jobs only had 4 hours rest...the minimum the ASWC agreement allowed.  I wonder what the assignments look like now. 

Date: 11/26/20 20:45

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And Conductor Pimm-
> Surely you remember Bob Pimm!
>
> That was fun crew to work with- all hard workers
> on a hard working run (14&11 were considered the
> toughest duty LA Crew Base had), but we sure
> enjoyed ourselves!
> SR

Sure do remember Pimm — your photo angle made him look a bit different, I guess— great series, here!

Date: 11/26/20 21:11
Author: SP4360

First shot-IOTD material

Date: 11/26/20 21:51
Author: gaspeamtrak

Classic!!! Priceless ! Sweet dreams of this tonight... The way it used to be...
Thank you for sharing this with us !!! Stay safe... :):):)

Date: 11/27/20 05:01
Author: mp51w

I miss seeing the guys in checkered pants walking back to the transistion sleeper at night for a well deserved rest!

Date: 11/27/20 08:55
Author: jp1822

Good memories I am sure! To also think when the Trans Dorm/Sleepers were actually full with the crew and not just a couple of rooms! Nice to have that camaraderie, especially while on the road for Thanksgiving! A few years back when Boardman was still at the helm I remember the Capitol Limited did a special Turkey Thanksgiving Dinner for dining car patrons - real turkey with all the fixings. I am sure it was still not as good what the chefs have prepared here! Thanks for the service in these former days!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/20 08:58 by jp1822.

Date: 11/27/20 09:15
Author: rwpimm62

THANKS FOR THE GOOD OLD DAYS REMEMBERING
BOB PIMM

Date: 11/27/20 13:10

rwpimm62 Wrote:
> THANKS FOR THE GOOD OLD DAYS REMEMBERING
> BOB PIMM

Good lord!  Bob?  Is that You?!
How the heck are you?!
SR

Date: 11/27/20 17:02

BoilingMan Wrote:
> rwpimm62 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > THANKS FOR THE GOOD OLD DAYS REMEMBERING
> > BOB PIMM
>
> Good lord!  Bob?  Is that You?!
> How the heck are you?!
> SR

RwPimm62
Maybe his seniority date?!? That’s awesome SR!

Date: 11/27/20 19:00
Author: OldPorter

Thank you, SR. Wonderful memories. I knew (and worked with) many of the ppl in your retrospective.

Brings back some strong memories. Many Amtrak Chefs worked magic, with what they were given by the Company. 
Some brought their own spices and condiments (bought from their own pockets) to improve the Product-- and the
results were nothing short of fantastic. I feel fortunate to have worked for awhile, aside these incredible men and women.
The old RR traditions of excellence were still alive then, in this late 20th century Era at Amtrak.

Date: 11/27/20 19:15
Author: WAF

A Stein-like photo collection of when it used to be a nightly occurance after dinner was served upstairs

Date: 11/27/20 20:36

I found my original posting of these photos.  I called it a look at the Upstairs/Downstairs nature of the On Board Service Crew experience.  I don't think I can much improve on that description. 
Now on the cusp of 50yrs old, Amtrak seems to have had it's own Golden Era we can can wax nostalgic about (believe it or not).  I'm grateful to have served during those times. 
SR

OBS On Board Chief Charles Roebuk III and, again, Train Attendant Sandra.

Date: 12/01/20 08:07
Author: rwpimm62

THATS ME 15 YEARS 3 MONTHS REMOVED FROM AMTRANK STILL IN GEORGETOWN
BOB

Date: 12/01/20 08:30

15yr3mo?!! Holy Moly, time DOES fly by- I’d never had guessed it had been that long.
It’s a kick to hear from you.
Those were the days, eh?

SR Bush
(LSA 1984-2016)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0697 seconds