Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Passenger Trains > guest rewards expiration

Date: 11/28/20 08:50
guest rewards expiration
Author: RockyGoat

Does anyone have a good suggestion on an easy way to prevent AGR points from expiring?
My wife and i have about 20,000 total points expiring at the end of December.

Yes, i know we should take a trip, but wife is afraid of the Rona. We had tickets scheduled for last spring but the Rona messed it up.

much thanks for any help!

RG 

Date: 11/28/20 08:54
Re: guest rewards expiration
Author: PRSL-recall

You probably already know this, but just on the outside chance you don't, an Amtrak Credit Card posession will keep points from expiring. 

Date: 11/28/20 09:22
Author: Flyer92122

Since the program got devalued drastically a few years ago, partner specials are the best way to earn miles. Probably the quickest way would be a flower order. There seems to always be a special 30points/dollar spent on the website. You won't get the best deal but we got 2100 points for sending 2 dozen roses for 70 bucks last month. Restaurant.com has a 25 points/$ special now, lots of mom and pop places listed by zip code. There's a pizza place in our area that belongs that we can get "to go" from. 

I just stumbled on the Lowe's and Home Depot 1 point/dollar spent last month. Lowe's even allows military discount to be combined, I ordered a bag of charcoal broquits for 7 bucks to be picked up curbside and got 7 points, wish I would have known when I bought a range over the summer.  This can all be found in different area of the Guest rewards website. "Ways to earn" section. 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/20 09:36 by Flyer92122.

Date: 11/28/20 09:26
Author: irhoghead

I'd give them a call to see if buying points counts towards keeping your account active another 24 months. If so, you can get 500 points for $18.85. That might be a small investment to not lose your points.

Date: 11/28/20 15:59
Author: Dcmcrider

Buy a really cheap ticket with points, and then cancel. Sure, you have to "eat" the points, but it's better than having them expire.

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Date: 11/28/20 16:35

Actually you should be able to buy a ticket with points then cancel and have them re deposited. That would count as "activity" and should keep the account active. Buy a cheap coach ticket 12 months out then cancel down the road. 

Date: 11/28/20 17:47
Author: RockyGoat

I appreciate all ideas. Looking at the retail options suggested by Flyer9, there is an Amazon gift card points deal: Spend 1500 points for a $15 Amazon gift card. Available thru 12/30.

No $$ out of pocket and looks to keep the account live until wife stops worrying about the Rona. 

i will wait a week and if no other ideas, jump on that one.

thanks!

RG  

Date: 11/28/20 21:14
Author: mundo

Use your Amtrak card for everyday purchases, no need to go out of the way for gift cards etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/20 21:15 by mundo.

Date: 11/29/20 07:28
Author: prr60

Check the Points for Shopping AGR portal. See if any of the on-line merchants are ones you typically use (Apple, Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.). If so, sign into AGR, use the Points for Shopping portal to access the retailer, then order as ususal.  You will get points based on the value of the purchase and will reset the AGR clock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/20 07:30 by prr60.

Date: 11/30/20 00:24
Author: aronco

Damn, I sure don't want to lose my points.  I have 124,500 right now, so it is good to hear that keeping the card keeps the account active.

TIOGA PASS

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Date: 11/30/20 06:00
Author: mbrotzman

RockyGoat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone have a good suggestion on an easy way
> to prevent AGR points from expiring?
> My wife and i have about 20,000 total points
> expiring at the end of December.
>
> Yes, i know we should take a trip, but wife is
> afraid of the Rona. We had tickets scheduled for
> last spring but the Rona messed it up.
>
> much thanks for any help!
>
> RG 

I took a sleeper trip in June and sleeper car travel has probably the least COVID risk of any mode outside of a private auto. On the corridor the AX sets are pretty empty and with seat selection you can avoid other people. 

BTW, the points were re-valued, not devalued a few years ago.  Many sleeper journies, especially in the east, cost less than they did.  A Cap bedroom to Chicago used to be 30k points under the old system and now it is 17.

Date: 11/30/20 07:47

Overall they were drastically devalued. I'm sure there's cases where they come close or better due to the cost being tied to fares but in general the program is not nearly as generous as it was. As always your results may vary. 

Date: 11/30/20 12:44
Author: BRAtkinson

Given my age and health conditions, I decided it would be a very long time, years, probably, before Covid is not an issue any more.  So, I decided to take up the temperary offer from AGR to convert my points to Amazon Gift Cards.  Shopping at Amazon with the gift cards takes a very big bite out of Christmas shopping!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds