Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Passenger Trains > Overbearing Amtrak employees and facial mask "rules"

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/08/21 00:46
Overbearing Amtrak employees and facial mask "rules"
Author: GenePoon

In addition to the infamous overbearing Amtrak employees at major stations such as
Philadelphia and Chicago comes this report from a passenger on a recent Empire Builder trip:

"As the crew changes at Winona, I noted an all female crew boarded
there to go to Chicago. Upon leaving Winona one of the crew got on
the speaker system and announced Amtrak's rules (and I assumed her
rules also) and said that if anyone goes to the lounge car and
purchases food or beverages and either eats them in the upper part of
the lounge car or takes them back to their seat, they must keep their
face mask on while chewing their food. It appears that you may not
remove your mask even to eat your just purchased food. I would
expect that she must patrol the cars to find violators. She must
threaten them with removal if they don't follow her rules?"

Train 8(24DEC)

This is not by some wild-eyed foamer, but a well-regarded passenger
advocate, in fact a retired and respected longtime Amtrak frontline employee,
who posted this and much more about his trip to a private board.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/21 01:05 by GenePoon.

Date: 01/08/21 03:01
Re: Overbearing Amtrak employees and facial mask "rules"
Author: ClubCar

I find this very hard to believe.  No one eating anywhere has to keep their mask on while consuming their food, thus I cannot believe this to really happen.  Constantly touching ones mask to consume each bite is impractical and almost impossible.  Was this employee going to watch everyone eat?  This is laughable.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 01/08/21 03:25
Author: pennengineer

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find this very hard to believe.  No one eating
> anywhere has to keep their mask on while consuming
> their food, thus I cannot believe this to really
> happen.  Constantly touching ones mask to consume
> each bite is impractical and almost impossible. 
> Was this employee going to watch everyone eat? 
> This is laughable.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

Not defending the "wear a mask while chewing" instruction (assuming it was issued) in any way, but considering the ridiculous discussions that train staff here in Germany have had at times to endure, I can easily imagine anti-mask passengers refusing to wear masks and, when instructed to, claiming that they are in the process of eating and therefore don't have to. The nonsense that onboard train staff (as well as customer service workers in all professions) have had to deal with during this pandemic -- for their own protection as well as that of the other passengers! -- is not something I envy them for. If the OP's second-hand story has any truth to it, I'd give the staff the benefit of the doubt and guess that it was this particular employee's attempt to preempt any such discussions, however misguided on her part. I doubt that she actually intended to attempt to enforce this throughout the train at all times.

Regardless of that, I don't understand the necessity of the "all female crew" descriptor in the story. Seems like the author has a problem with women in positions of authority..?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/21 03:26 by pennengineer.

Date: 01/08/21 04:46
Author: Juniata

Admittedly it’s not on a train but, when I go for chemo every 28 days; masks must be worn in the treatment room even while eating. Lower mask, take a bite, raise mask; repeat as necessary.

It’s a PITA but, I can understand the rule.

CW

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/08/21 04:49
Author: amtrakbill

She might be one of those who refuse to get the vaccine when it becomes available to her.  Just so she can run her train with no regard to what the CDC recommends.

Date: 01/08/21 05:13
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Don't get your shorts in a wad about the 'all female crew' note. It was no more than a bit of information that is of interest and becoming more common these days

Date: 01/08/21 05:27
Author: Train29

Exactly how is that even possible?  What's next, car attendants knocking on your door during the night to see if you are sleeping with your mask on? Amtrak has an established mask rule. If passengers don't like it, don't travel. But employees also need to follow the rules and set an example. But not go overboard as is clearly the case here. They should  also set an example and wear theirs at all times. Often that doesn't seem to be happening. 

Date: 01/08/21 05:49
Author: 41bridge

I took a round trip Cleveland to Grand Jct., CO, the first week of December. I had a similar announcement over the PA from a crew member on the CZ about lowering the mask just for a bite or sip and then raising it for the chewing. Also threatened with removal from the train for non compliance. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/21 05:52 by 41bridge.

Date: 01/08/21 06:25
Author: pennengineer

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
>            Don't get your shorts in a wad
> about the 'all female crew' note. It was no more
> than a bit of information that is of interest and
> becoming more common these days

My shorts are perfectly ironed. How about yours?

Obviously it is information. My point is that I do not see how it could be of interest. Try substituting "the all-male crew" in the sentence and tell me it doesn't seem like superfluous detail.

Date: 01/08/21 06:38
Author: abyler

ClubCar Wrote:
> I find this very hard to believe.  No one eating
> anywhere has to keep their mask on while consuming
> their food, thus I cannot believe this to really
> happen.  Constantly touching ones mask to consume
> each bite is impractical and almost impossible. 
> Was this employee going to watch everyone eat? 
> This is laughable.

The same demand is broadcast by the conductor on Amtrak 193 leaving NYC most days of the week. You can only remove your mask to take a bite or make a sip and then you must put it back on while you swallow.

Date: 01/08/21 06:42
Author: robj

As I mentioned before passengers can take advantage and sit with chips and a Coke. Hours on a train with a mask is a non starte. Even in restrictive states where indoor dining is allowed a mask is not required when eating so this would not be passenger expectations.So kif this rule is spelled out at time of purchase people can make choice to use Amtrak or not.

Bob

Posted from Android

Date: 01/08/21 07:14
Author: co614

Her husband is a friend of mine. It won't shock you to learn that all his friends ( me included) know he suffers a MAJOR case of being thoroughly PW'd. She's a tyrant not just on Amtrak but at home too.

Takes all kinds !!!!   Happy New Year. Ross Rowland 

Date: 01/08/21 07:18
Author: Dcmcrider

There are two exceptions to Amtrak's compulsory face mask policy: while "actively eating or drinking," or while in one's private accommodation "with the door closed."

Furthermore, "Amtrak reserves the right to remove a passenger or ban them from future travel in the event of noncompliance with Amtrak’s face covering policy."

https://www.amtrak.com/terms-and-conditions.html

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/21 07:21 by Dcmcrider.

Date: 01/08/21 07:21
Author: abyler

Juniata Wrote:
> Admittedly it’s not on a train but, when I go
> for chemo every 28 days; masks must be worn in the
> treatment room even while eating. Lower mask, take
> a bite, raise mask; repeat as necessary.
>
> It’s a PITA but, I can understand the rule.

Why do you "understand the rule" when masks themselves are preposterous and don't work as advertised.  And even if they did work, obviously won't work if you are allowed to take them off to eat and drink?

Date: 01/08/21 07:54
Author: ALCO630

abyler Wrote:
> Juniata Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Admittedly it’s not on a train but, when I go
> > for chemo every 28 days; masks must be worn in
> the
> > treatment room even while eating. Lower mask,
> take
> > a bite, raise mask; repeat as necessary.
> >
> > It’s a PITA but, I can understand the rule.
>
> Why do you "understand the rule" when masks
> themselves are preposterous and don't work as
> advertised.  And even if they did work, obviously
> won't work if you are allowed to take them off to
> eat and drink?

Because people who are going through chemo have an immune system that has been pretty much decimated by the disease as well as the chemo. Therefore, I can see why they would have such stringent rules in a place like that.

I am as anti-mask as they become, But in this case I can see it. Because for a person with a compromised immune system, even the common cold can be a huge problem much less the virus.

Posted from iPhone

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 01/08/21 09:20
Author: SANSR

Personally, I am respectful of other people when in proximity (6 feet notwithstanding) and don a mask that my lovely bride cobbled together for me several months ago, that said, I see others who are so fanatical about the masking quagmire that they are wearing a mask inside their car as the sole occupant of the vehicle, windows up, etc.  Really?  What is that supposed to protect one from?  The fact that there is no national mandate (ie. 'law') opens up this patchwork of various 'rules' in various places.  None of which have any iota of consistency.  The lack of consistency predicates overarching 'demands' by others who perceive themselves as the enforcers.  Enforcers?  Really?  Talk about getting on your high horse.  Back to the fact that there is no national mandate:  Is that what you want?  How would that work?  And for who?  Minimum age?  Families in their homes masked?  Outside in fresh air?  Masked?  Really?  And how do you expect LE to react?  As if they don't have enough problems today.  And some legislative group wants to add to that?  It really does boil down to personal choice.  Right or wrong, that is going to be up the individual......not anyone else.  Way back in the day I smoked a pipe.  Gave that up when my 11 year old son came to me from Health Class in Middle School and asked, "Hey Dad, what's it like to be addicted to a drug?"  That was enough for me, it all went in the trash (except for a couple of carved Meerschaums) and I never looked back.  Thinking about trying to draw on a pipe stem with a mask on is laughable.  Glad I quit.  Train related:  What is next?  CCTV cameras in the bedrooms so some overbearing attendant can monitor whether or not you are masked?  

Date: 01/08/21 11:29
Author: emd_mrs1

Hmmm.

So Amtrak has a written policy....  and an employee has their own made up policy which is different.   Which one would prevail if challenged on board?  I wonder what Amtrak management would have to say about that?   

I would hope the author would follow up with someone in mgt.

MIchael

Date: 01/08/21 11:35
Author: joemvcnj

When has management ever bothered to interfere with self-made policies.?

Date: 01/08/21 12:22
Author: WP17

abyler Wrote:

> Why do you "understand the rule" when masks
> themselves are preposterous and don't work as
> advertised.  And even if they did work, obviously
> won't work if you are allowed to take them off to
> eat and drink?

But there is quite a bit of evidence/data/metrics that masks do work
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/23/937173060/mask-mandates-work-to-slow-spread-of-coronavirus-kansas-study-finds

amd with regard to taking them off to eat and drink, It's a matter of the amount of time one is masked.

To quote some learned observer: "You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own "facts:"

Date: 01/08/21 12:54
Author: CP8888

I have been in the lounge car on number 8 where passengers buy a coffee and then sit for hours watching the scenery with NO mask and forget about the coffee. This is the trick crews do not like and I don't blame them.

Posted from Android

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0918 seconds