Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak's cash

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/08/21 07:23
Amtrak's cash
Author: co614

As the pandemic grows dramatically worse by the day it is having a pronounced negative effect on the public's appetite for travel. With Amtrak " only " getting a $ 1B shot in the arm in recently passed federal reliefe bill ( vs. a $ 2.5B request) it appears that if further federal help does not come forward by June ( att the latest) that Amtrak will become cash insolvent?? 

Also, I would hope that several frequent posters on this website who were Covid doubters/deniers have learned a valuable lesson.....follow the science not the lieing politicians.

Happy New Year.  Ross Rowland 

Date: 01/08/21 07:41
Re: Amtrak's cash
Author: goneon66

the dems have biden,  the majority in the house,  and the v.p. will break any ties in the senate.

isn't that good for amtrak?

Date: 01/08/21 07:51
Author: pdt

I suspect that the incoming administration will not let Amtrak collapse.  Im not to worried.

(As for the deniers,  for some reason, they can never admit that they are wrong.  Its apparently part of the while mental syndrome.  They just keep digging in deeper, till all existance is part of a conspiracy.   Lots of paranoia)

Date: 01/08/21 07:58
Author: Lackawanna484

Amtrak is having its Come to Jesus moment right now.  As trains are cut to thrice weekly, NEC is cut back, revenue collapses, etc.

It's time for a serious conversation among Amtrak's leadership, its working people, the Congress, states, etc about what kind of rail passenger service they want, and will pay for.

Date: 01/08/21 08:51
Author: jp1822

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amtrak is having its Come to Jesus moment right
> now.  As trains are cut to thrice weekly, NEC is
> cut back, revenue collapses, etc.
>
> It's time for a serious conversation among
> Amtrak's leadership, its working people, the
> Congress, states, etc about what kind of rail
> passenger service they want, and will pay for.

This first calendar quarter will be very telling for Amtrak. You just saw the Keystone Corridor cutback. The NEC and California corridors will follow shortly I am sure (not sure if it has hit its low point yet). 

Date: 01/08/21 09:04
Author: choodude

goneon66 Wrote:
> the dems have biden,  the majority in the house,  and the v.p. will break any ties in the senate.
>
> isn't that good for amtrak?
>
> 66

I hope so, but experience teaches me that the Democratic caucus is not a monolithic block.  Just like Republicans, individuals will go against the Parties wishes at any time.  For example, single person in the Democratic caucus is why there was no Public Option in the Affordable Care Act.

Plus, who knows what the Federalist Society packed Supreme Court will do in the case of a non-billionaire vs..corporations?

Brian

Date: 01/08/21 11:06
Author: emd_mrs1

"As the pandemic grows dramatically worse by the day it is having a pronounced negative effect on the public's appetite for travel. "

Really??? DIsney and Universal are packed, the interstates are fairly busy around here, especially on weekends, most hotels have 75% full parking lots ....A local theme park is open for limited business.

Our company made reservations for an industry convention in FL and tickets are selling very well.  We will be driving there. One employee is preparing to vacation in FL and he will take the auto train (first train for him ever).

maybe the general population  doesn't want to travel by train (or maybe not plane.).

Michael

Date: 01/08/21 13:12
Author: co614

Just announced that p/e Biden will travel to Washington from Wilmingtion by train the day before his inauguration as the 46th. President. 

Portends well for Amtrak.  Happy New Year. Ross Rowland 

Date: 01/08/21 13:19
Author: HVAC-Jim

I have to agree.  I recently flew from Atlanta to Fresno, then back for Christmas.  All legs of both flights were full (shoulder-to-shoulder, no empty seats).
Driving back home with my wife and dogs, the highways and service stations were busy, motels were always nearly full.

People are traveling.  Amtrak needs to fill the need.

Date: 01/08/21 13:26
Author: jst3751

HVAC-Jim Wrote:
> I have to agree.  I recently flew from Atlanta to
> Fresno, then back for Christmas.  All legs of
> both flights were full (shoulder-to-shoulder, no
> empty seats).
> Driving back home with my wife and dogs, the
> highways and service stations were busy, motels
> were always nearly full.
>
> People are traveling.  Amtrak needs to fill the
> need.

And people wonder why the pandemic is getting worse?

Hmmmmm, maybe all those people traveling should stop thinking about themself and stay home.

Date: 01/08/21 13:46
Author: Lackawanna484

Isn't Disney World on a reduced hours schedule?  I thought they close at 7 or 8 pm.

So much of central Florida depends on Disney, Universal and the convention / conference travel, it is a huge economic driver.  Here in South Florida, several major conventions / industry shows have decided to pass for this year.  The boat shows, fortunately, are still on.

Date: 01/08/21 14:49
Author: PHall

co614 Wrote:
> As the pandemic grows dramatically worse by the
> day it is having a pronounced negative effect on
> the public's appetite for travel. With Amtrak "
> only " getting a $ 1B shot in the arm in recently
> passed federal reliefe bill ( vs. a $ 2.5B
> request) it appears that if further federal help
> does not come forward by June ( att the latest)
> that Amtrak will become cash insolvent?? 
>
>    Also, I would hope that several frequent
> posters on this website who were Covid
> doubters/deniers have learned a valuable
> lesson.....follow the science not the lieing
> politicians.
>
>     Happy New Year.  Ross Rowland 

It's having an effect on travel because the majority of the people are doing what is asked of them and staying close to home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/21 14:50 by PHall.

Date: 01/08/21 16:18
Author: Cole42

jst3751 Wrote:
> And people wonder why the pandemic is getting
> worse?
>
> Hmmmmm, maybe all those people traveling should
> stop thinking about themself and stay home.

Why?  If they are wearing masks how can it spread?  Remember, that cutesy little piece of cloth over your face is the key.  That's what the"experts" tell us, wear your mask!!!

Date: 01/08/21 16:50
Author: joemvcnj

Small indoor gatherings without masks is biggest cause of this 2nd wave. Smaller gatherings from fewer household over the holidays reduced their risk. 

Date: 01/08/21 17:48
Author: cchan006

co614 Wrote:
>    Also, I would hope that several frequent
> posters on this website who were Covid
> doubters/deniers have learned a valuable
> lesson.....follow the science not the lieing
> politicians.

Is that an "I told you so?"

You haven't followed the science, and I call you out for the second time. Tell us something more useful regarding how everyone (not just COVID "deniers") can reduce their risks of infection, and if infected, reduce the severity of symptoms, and so forth. If you are following the science, you'd know this information.

Date: 01/08/21 18:05

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Small indoor gatherings without masks is biggest
> cause of this 2nd wave. Smaller gatherings from
> fewer household over the holidays reduced their
> risk. 

SARS studies in the early-to-mid 2000's already concluded how infections continued to spread in virus-hostile, hot, humid summer weather. Infections continued due to people spending time indoors, in air-conditioned rooms. While the 2nd wave didn't happen in the summer, holiday gatherings here in the U.S. tend to occur in indoor, "air-conditioned (heated)" rooms in similar temperature ranges (high 60 to mid 70 degrees F).

Anyway, I was already "following the science" 9 months ago. This is before I knew how closely related SARS and COVID really were, 80% genetic similarity, which I found out only a couple of months ago. I was hinting this knowledge in this post in April:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4994512,4995422#4995422

Date: 01/08/21 18:07
Author: ProAmtrak

That and Ross, quit being Chicken Littlem, I for one am byond fed up with the doom and gloom about Amtrak and it always never happens!

Posted from Android

Date: 01/08/21 18:12

Cole42 Wrote:
> Why?  If they are wearing masks how can it
> spread?  Remember, that cutesy little piece of
> cloth over your face is the key.  That's what
> the"experts" tell us, wear your mask!!!

Sarcasm aside, I've posted foamer trip reports from different parts of the country this year. Unlike others who didn't travel, I witnessed mask compliance in those regions, and they were excellent.

Most transients I saw were wearing masks, too but they might have had some advantage over those who insisted on staying indoors. Those who follow the science will know why that is.

Date: 01/08/21 20:27
Author: Typhoon

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Isn't Disney World on a reduced hours schedule? 
> I thought they close at 7 or 8 pm.

It depends on the park and the day.  Epcot, for example, is open until 9 pm on the weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/21 07:17 by Typhoon.

Date: 01/08/21 20:59
Author: jp1822

It's getting to be ridiculous that full load capacity planes are allowed to operate. Even to/from California where it's supposed to be lock down central. No social distancing among passengers on planes....people have masks on while on planes, but they are not socially distanced, which is equally important.

Yet everyone has to be social distanced on trains, masked, and socially distanced at restaurants (if indoor dining is even allowed and open). 

Such double standards. 

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0631 seconds