Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Passenger Trains > a "fix broken windows" on the subway opinion........

Date: 01/08/21 14:50
a "fix broken windows" on the subway opinion........
Author: goneon66

Date: 01/08/21 18:56
Re: a "fix broken windows" on the subway opinion........
Author: MEKoch

Good article and good common sense.  It makes the most sense for poor people, who are most likely to be transit riders.  

Date: 01/09/21 06:57
Author: choodude

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good article and good common sense.  It makes the most sense for poor people, who are most likely to be transit riders.  

I suspect the real reason that policy lost favor with the general public is the HUGE quantity of abuses the "Stop and Frisk" policy enabled and caught on cell phone cameras:

"One key to fixing broken windows is to stop conflating broken windows with stop-and-frisk and zero tolerance."

I wasn't aware I was one of Those Poor People when I commuted on the subway.  What is "poor" a code word for now?

Edit:

Hopefully, even the usual suspects realize that there was a HUGE difference between how the Washington DC security forces reacted to the demonstrations this summer versus how they handled the demonstrations this January.  Do you know the difference in lighting between night and day?

Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/21 16:45 by choodude.

Date: 01/10/21 10:37
Author: Lackawanna484

The Original broken Windows application was strict enforcement of actual rules. Spit in the subway, jump a turnstile, take up two seats, you will be retained and ticketed.

If you have a weapon or drugs or an outstanding warrant, you will be held.

Expanding that practice to the streets in the 10 highest crime precincts changed the rules. "Furtive" gestures became a reason for stops.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds