Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Passenger Trains > Business Class Coast Starlight ?

Date: 01/13/21 19:36
Business Class Coast Starlight ?
Author: JAmtrak

Traveling Los Angeles to Oakland soon on coast starlight. Is paying extra for business class worth it? Right now the website for Amtrak shows low passenger count. Does any 1 know what the business class gets you on the train? TIA / AIA / KFC

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/13/21 20:25
Re: Business Class Coast Starlight ?
Author: GP25

Unless they added it back to the consist.

They aren't running the Business Class car right now. 

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 01/13/21 21:12
Author: chakk

But once the pandemic is over (in sumnmer of 2022 or thenabouts), the Business Class is worthwhile to me, as it is generally much less crowded than coach, provided also that I am tired enough to get some sleep in thosoe coach seats.

Date: 01/13/21 22:30
Author: mundo

Jerry, I think it is running.  You can find out by doing a booking.

Its worth it for being quiet without running kids.

Date: 01/14/21 02:18
Author: goduckies

Just sit in the lounge

Posted from Android

Date: 01/14/21 04:04
Author: jp1822

The seating was more comfortable as it was a leather substitute of some sort. But comfortable and quieter than coach. It was a bit different from coach, ironically. 

Date: 01/14/21 04:52
Author: jeffgeldner

I agree with the other posts but wish to add the following. I rode it on Friday 1/8/21 from Santa Barbara to San Luis Obispo Only water was offered by the attendant. This contrasts with the water, coffee, muffin, orange juice and a snack pack of cheese, meat, crackers, cookie, etc. passed out on that morning's Pacific Surfliner from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barabara. That train also featured a sightseer lounge which was designated for the exclusive use of Pacific Business Class passengers. No such separate car on the Starlight. The Starlight's lounge was fairly full, considering social distancing protocol. As such, I did purchase wine but brought it back to my seat. What business class did provide was better seating than coach and a less crowded situation than in the lounge. I did not inspect the rest of the train but I would imagine coach would be OK-  but cloth seats vs leather and no "free" water bottle. 

Date: 01/14/21 07:33
Author: Pioneer2526

The lounge on 11/14 ?the last time I was there it’s turned into a homeless camp at night people sprawled out sleeping every where and the conductors did not care. I’m sure most will agree with me since the demise of the parlor cars the starlight had a whole different clientele riding it.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/14/21 13:50
Author: yorknl

I haven't been on the Starlight lately and so can't speak to the current clientele. But if the implication is that there are more questionable people on board than in years past, how does taking the Parlor car off the train have anything to do with it? I doubt that taking away a sleeping car amenity has led sleeper passengers to spend the night in the Sightseer lounge or cause indigents to change their travel habits.

Date: 01/14/21 16:06
Author: goduckies

Pioneer2526 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The lounge on 11/14 ?the last time I was there
> it’s turned into a homeless camp at night people
> sprawled out sleeping every where and the
> conductors did not care. I’m sure most will
> agree with me since the demise of the parlor cars
> the starlight had a whole different clientele
> riding it.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Homeless camp? Good lord God forbid people use it at night and get comfortable. I make over 100k a year but when taking the starlight I use the lounge that way as well. We aren't hurting anything. The conductors move you when the sun comes up. Nbd.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/14/21 16:26
Author: BoilingMan

I've ridden a couple of times in recent months.  Right now the Biz Class Car on the Starlight is pretty skimpy on amenities (bottled water only).  But it runs as the very last car on the train, so if you sit towards the rear of the car you'll have virtually no foot traffic passing you.  (something to consider in our COVID 19 world).  Also you get the view out the rear window if you like.  (personally: I like)     I don't know how much the upgrade costs (I'm a pass rider, so I ride free*), but those are the advantages as far as I can see.
SR

*Well, I guess 32yrs service isn't exactly free...  

Date: 01/14/21 19:50
Author: wa4umr

Several years ago I rode business class on #67.  No sleeper on that train and I decided to try business class.  Nice plush seats and other than a drunk on it, it was mostly quiet;  The drunk was removed when we reached NYP..

John  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds