Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Passenger Trains > NICTD to Lease Metra Highliners

Date: 01/14/21 20:53
NICTD to Lease Metra Highliners
Author: kevink

The news of Metra’s car order overshadowed another interesting item at yesterday’s Metra board meeting. NICTD (Northern Indiana Commuter Transporation District) operator of the South Shore Line to South Bend, IN is looking to lease 26 of Metra’s Highliner MU cars for use on its line. Details at: https://metrarail.com/sites/default/files/assets/about-metra/leadership/board_meetings/202101/6_vi_c_iga_15yr_lease_26_surplus_hl1_cars_to_nictd.pdf

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/14/21 21:50
Re: NICTD to Lease Metra Highliners
Author: BrynMawr

And why does MED have surplus cars?   If they and CTA would work out fare integration,they should be running many more trains per day, rebuilding ridership within the city.   That said, is NICTD stocking up for the West Lake Corridor?

Date: 01/15/21 03:54
Author: joemvcnj

Aren't these Highliner cars from 2004 a little different from the mass production ones that followed ? 

Date: 01/15/21 05:47
Author: MattW

What are they going to do about traps? Or will these be high-platform-only?

[edit] Yes, meant high-platform-only, originally said low.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/21 07:47 by MattW.

Date: 01/15/21 07:20
Author: filmteknik

You mean high platform.

Yes, different in some ways and sufficiently that the "Old New Cars" as I call them have not been run with the "New New Cars."  I presume there is a reason for that.  I don't know about compatibility with NICTD's NS bi-levels.

From a passenger standpoint you know you are on a train of Old New Cars because they don't have passenger electric outlets by the seats, just blank junction box covers.  Also, if you are paying attention you will note that the overhead lights just outside the end doors are incandescent while on New New Cars they are white LEDs.

Date: 01/15/21 08:28

(From "It's a Wonderful Life")

GEORGE BAILEY: "Can't you understand what's happening here? Don't you see what's happening? Potter isn't selling. Potter's buying. And why? Because we're panicky and he's not. That's why. He's picking up some bargains."

LOL

Date: 01/15/21 09:45
Author: joemvcnj

filmteknik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (From "It's a Wonderful Life")
>
> GEORGE BAILEY: "Can't you understand what's
> happening here? Don't you see what's happening?
> Potter isn't selling. Potter's buying. And why?
> Because we're panicky and he's not. That's why.
> He's picking up some bargains."
>
> LOL

Is there a difference in the end doors with traps ? 

Date: 01/15/21 10:49
Author: kevink

For what it’s worth, the Metra Highliners have a trap for one-half of the center vestibule door that allows access from track level.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/15/21 12:54
Author: cutboy1958

Wish the  South  Shore  went  downtown  South Bend. Even  to  Notre Dame.   But  I  do not live there  so is  that  an ok idea??

Date: 01/15/21 14:58
Author: MEKoch

Ah, but with our new Secretary of Transportation from South Bend, maybe we will see some Federal money flow to CSS&SB for "improvements", such as completing their double track project and better entry to SOB.  

Date: 01/15/21 18:42
Author: RuleG

cutboy1958 Wrote:
> Wish the  South  Shore  went  downtown  South
> Bend. Even  to  Notre Dame.   But  I  do not
> live there  so is  that  an ok idea??

There was, in fact, a study of bringing the South Shore into downtown South Bend.  The price tag was high, but Mayor Buttigieg supported the proposal.  I do not know the current status of that effort.

Date: 01/16/21 05:24
Author: Passfanatic

Hopefully those Leased Metra Highliners will be in good enough shape to run and not be bumpy quality in ride. I hope that the seats will be comfortable. We don't want NICTD to make the same mistake with what CDOT did by leasing Ex-MBTA MBB Cars for Ctrail Hartford Line trains. I have ridden those MBB cars in Ctrail Service and I don't like the ride quality of them and the seats aren't too great. Fortunately, CDOT will be ordering brand new coaches for their Ctrail diesel trains.

Date: 01/16/21 08:00

I don’t refer to those cars as Highliners. I rather avoid confusion and also to not besmirch the Highliners.

You may expect a very bumpy ride. NS used trucks that give a ride that is far worse than what we had with the Highliners and their simple drop equalizer trucks. It’s as though the track got worse overnight.

What is astonishing is that after several years of experience with the ride of the 26 Old New Cars Metra did not demand better with the big order. That’s what happens when officials are not regular users of the service they sell.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/16/21 12:15
Author: justalurker66

filmteknik Wrote:
> I don’t refer to those cars as Highliners. I rather avoid confusion and also to not besmirch the Highliners.

> What is astonishing is that after several years of experience with the ride of the 26 Old New Cars
> Metra did not demand better with the big order. That’s what happens when officials are not
> regular users of the service they sell.

NICTD's 14 existing bi-level cars were an expansion of the order METRA placed for their cars. So other than the extra vestuble they should serve well.
NICTD will be starting construction on the double track project later this year that will add high platforms at nearly every station. Not having the end vestibules and traps will not be a big problem.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds