Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Passenger Trains > MARC, VRE, Amtrak, WMATA inauguration cancellations

Date: 01/15/21 13:06
MARC, VRE, Amtrak, WMATA inauguration cancellations
Author: Dcmcrider

MARC -- will not operate 1/17-1/20. Service resumes Thursday 1/21.
VRE -- will not operate 1/18-1/20. Service resumes Thursday 1/21.

WMATA's Metrorail will operate on a Saturday schedule 1/15 through 1/21, but 13 stations inside the central security zone in DC will close.

Amtrak -- no word yet on service adjustments (that I've seen.)

Amtrak did issue this media alert containing a statement from Bill Flynn re: security.

https://media.amtrak.com/2021/01/statement-from-amtrak-ceo-bill-flynn/

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/21 13:09 by Dcmcrider.

Date: 01/15/21 13:17
Re: MARC, VRE, Amtrak, WMATA inauguration cancellations
Author: Jimbo

Dcmcrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
(snip)
> WMATA's Metrorail will operate on a Saturday
> schedule 1/15 through 1/21, but 13 stations inside
> the central security zone in DC will close.

>
> Amtrak -- no word yet on service adjustments (that
> I've seen.)
>
> Amtrak did issue this media alert containing a
> statement from Bill Flynn re: security.
>
> https://media.amtrak.com/2021/01/statement-from-am
> trak-ceo-bill-flynn/

Is Washington Union Station one of the 13 Metro stations to close?

Date: 01/15/21 13:21

Jimbo Wrote:
> Dcmcrider Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> (snip)
> > WMATA's Metrorail will operate on a Saturday
> > schedule 1/15 through 1/21, but 13 stations
> inside
> > the central security zone in DC will close.
> >
>
> Is Washington Union Station one of the 13 Metro
> stations to close?

Yes. Already closed, in fact.

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Date: 01/15/21 14:23
Author: kevink

Not at all surprising in the light of recent events.

Date: 01/15/21 14:59
Author: MEKoch

From distant Ohio, it is very surprising...........

Date: 01/15/21 15:17
Author: PHall

MEKoch Wrote:
> From distant Ohio, it is very
> surprising...........

From an even more distant California, not surprised at all.

Date: 01/15/21 15:22
Author: steamloco

I don't understand how these services can cancel trains and get riders back. I am glad I don't have to rely on them. Keep your car, this is not reliable service, not everyone works for the government. What about service workers? I know I am out of touch.

Date: 01/15/21 15:34
Author: joemvcnj

Either your business in DC or the Maryland suburbs that you commute to is closed as well given the lockdown, or you are SOL for those days. MLK Day is a Holiday anyway.

Date: 01/15/21 16:29

Amtrak put up a Station Advisory late this afternoon. In short: no taxis, no ride shares available. Passengers are also advised to use NOMA/Gallaudet station on the Red Line, which it describes as a "short" walk from Union Station. It's six blocks.

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/pedestrian-traffic-patterns-delays-washington-union-station.html

Special Pedestrian and Traffic Patterns May Cause Delays at Washington Union Station

Effective Immediately

Amtrak continues to operate service as scheduled. Due to the Presidential Inauguration, special pedestrian and vehicle traffic patternsaround Washington - Union Station are in place and will require extra time to get to the station.

Additionally, once arriving at the station, there is no access to taxi or rideshare services and Metro is operating adjusted service, including no service to Washington - Union Station. The Metro station at NOMA/Gallaudet, a short walk from Washington - Union Station, will remain open. Follow the instructions of station personnel and law enforcement for exiting and entering the station.

After last week’s violent attack on the U.S. Capitol, we are taking extra steps to continue ensuring the safety of our employees and customers in Washington, DC, and across our network, as we prepare for the Inauguration. In addition to limiting ticket sales and requiring masks to be worn at all times, we are increasing our police enforcement to ensure strong compliance, remove non-complying customers and ban those that don’t follow our policies. This includes deploying additional Amtrak Police officers on board our trains and in our stations to support our frontline staff, and utilizing additional support from TSA and partner law enforcement agencies.

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/21 16:32 by Dcmcrider.

Date: 01/15/21 17:23
Author: Lackawanna484

The District routinely closes some Metro stations for large scale events like the celebrations of Independence Day, Inauguration Day, etc. 

New York City will do the same to control and direct huge crowds.

There's a section of the subway north of 155th street in Upper Manhattan where there are two long center tracks.  No obvious reason for them today.  But, back when the Giants played baseball at the Polo Grounds, and Joe Louis boxed there, additional subway trains would be staged to "load and go" as 50,000+ people surged into the station and dropped a dime in the fare box.

Date: 01/15/21 20:38
Author: alamode

Remember, the suspension of service/closures may very well be at the request of the Secret Service who is in charge of Inauguration security

Date: 01/15/21 22:08
Author: SanDiegan

So much "For Amtrak Joe." Didn't even include Amtrak in his propsed $1.9 Trillion Coronavirus bill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/21 22:09 by SanDiegan.

Date: 01/15/21 22:42
Author: ST214

He is not in charge. Those who are could care less about Amtrak. 

SanDiegan Wrote:
> So much "For Amtrak Joe." Didn't even include
> Amtrak in his propsed $1.9 Trillion Coronavirus
> bill.

Date: 01/16/21 10:09
Author: wilewil

Nothing to do with anything except security for the inauguration period, which is extraordinary due to last weeks assault on the Capitol.  Hopefully, nothing approaching that will happen and things may get more normal.

Date: 01/16/21 11:49
Author: justalurker66

steamloco Wrote:
> I don't understand how these services can cancel trains and get riders back.

These are temprary closures. Everything should be restored to last week's levels by the end of the week.

> What about service workers? I know I am out of touch.

WMATA is still running except for stops in the area of DC that is closed. Service workers who work in that area couldn't drive in if they wanted to - parking structures and roads have been closed. For workers working outside of the closed area the trains will still pass through and buses have been rerouted around the closed areas.

Date: 01/17/21 08:45
Author: jeff56

Both Greyhound and Megabus have curtailed service into DC through Inauguration Day.

Date: 01/17/21 16:06
Author: march_hare

steamloco Wrote:
> I don't understand how these services can cancel
> trains and get riders back. I am glad I don't have
> to rely on them. Keep your car, this is not
> reliable service, not everyone works for the
> government. What about service workers? I know I
> am out of touch.

Well, driving your car into DC in this period will also be pretty close to impossible. The overall message is stay home. Period. 

Today's Sunday, tomorrow's a holiday, and a large fraction of downtown DC commuters ( government or not) are working from home anyway. I don't see much of an issue here. 

The thing that caught my eye was that it sounds like they're canceling all service through the tunnel south of DC Union. Looks like somebody is concerned about the tunnel, which goes kinda, sorta close to the Capitol. With all the nut cases out there, I'm not gonna second guess the security people at this point. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0901 seconds