Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Passenger Trains > A Scene Probably Lost on Most Passengers

Date: 01/15/21 15:51
A Scene Probably Lost on Most Passengers
Author: BoilingMan

Number 5 exits one of the more celebrated accomplishments of the Chinese building of the CPRR- Bloomer Cut.   The cut dug through gravels that might as well been concrete, and put to rest any doubt the Chinese were up to the task. The walls of the trench are nearly vertical and required no cribbing.   It's a sight to see and appreciate, unless you're aboard the train itself.  From a coach seat it just looks like a not-so-dark tunnel.
SR

BTW:  Bloomer Cut took it's name from the family name of the original owner of the parcel it cut through, not ladies underthings.
Now, Choners Canyon (Canon) is a whole other story...

Date: 01/15/21 17:04
Re: A Scene Probably Lost on Most Passengers
Author: Hou74-76

Fascinating tidbit of history with a revealing photo to boot.  But come now, what is that, "whole other story...." or must I wait for the sequel?

Thanks!

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now, Choners Canyon (Canon) is a whole other
> story...

Date: 01/15/21 17:17

Oh. Um... I made that up.
SR

I suppose if there was Choners, it would be more of a Gulch.

(I made that up too)

Date: 01/15/21 18:59
Author: atsf121

Great photo, seems like a scene from Model Railroader on how to hide your staging entrance. I’m still amazed at the amazing engineering and the unbelievable hard work of the Chinese workers who made that route a reality.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/16/21 06:39
Author: DavidP

rgzfan Wrote:
> and yet they make such shitty electronics and
> consumer goods.

I think it's more accurate to say they make products to address all price points in the global market.  My iPhone seems to be a pretty robust and high quality product that was made in China, but they also make a plethora of cheap smartphones that have allowed much of the world's population to become connected.  There are plenty of valid criticisms of China's political and economic systems, but I wouldn't underestimate the skill of their engineering and manufacturing.

Dave

Date: 01/16/21 06:46
Author: choodude

rgzfan Wrote:
> and yet they make such shitty electronics and consumer goods.

LOL.  They make what Management wants to buy.

One of my grandmothers would only buy the cheapest example of any given product. 

What could go wrong when the entire country is composed of folks like that grandmother?  Toasters went from something you could pass on to your children to something you tossed every few years because the toasters that were built to last cost more.

Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/21 06:48 by choodude.

Date: 01/16/21 06:58
Author: BAB

rgzfan Wrote:
> and yet they make such shitty electronics and
> consumer goods.

So could you point to who makes houshold apliances, TVS, parts for US assembled cars and truck for a start? And how many do you own yourself?  About tthose shitty things made in china?

Date: 01/16/21 07:13
Author: WAF

Its about a mile walk down the tracks (MOW road)

Date: 01/16/21 08:30
Author: WoodrowStool

Where is this located approximately?  I'd like to check it out on Google Earth.

Date: 01/16/21 08:44

It’s on the 1 Track, at MP 123.

It’s on the lower SW corner of Auburn CA, right on the edge of town. I can post it here in a bit if you can’t find it.
SR

Date: 01/16/21 09:26
Re: the cut
Author: timz

It's 38.8784N 121.0857W

https://goo.gl/maps/ig9MLFD9Zu4ZTHJZ9

Date: 01/16/21 09:59
Re: the cut

Holy Moly!  There's WAY more residentual spead in that aera than I'd thought!  Wow.
SR

Date: 01/16/21 13:40
Author: anthracite

That is an amazing photograph. Your choice of composition is wonderful!

Was the photo taken from an aerial drone? The vertical distance between camera and train, plus the very steep angle involved, suggests to me something other than a photographer standing upon terra firma.

Date: 01/16/21 14:02

Yes, it’s a drone shot. The surrounding terrain is rolling hills, like the background in the photo.

My original intent was to fly above the cut an shoot straight down- think hot dog in a bun. But it didn’t work. It turned out going that high was to get into restricted air space (the drone’s software warns me) and also the signal starts getting weak (another warning). In fact, I lost it twice in trying.
So this shot was my 2nd choice.
Glad you liked it, thanks!
SR

Date: 01/16/21 20:40
Author: coach

Regarding those cemented gravels at this site, I think it's the remnant of an old, ancient river bed that once ran north-south, before the Sierra uplifted.  Hence the many gravels in the dirt, with the cementing caused by limestone and air chemical reactions over time.  The geology up there is endlessly fascinating, if you're into that kind of stuff.

Once time while train watching up there, I ventured down RED DOG ROAD and came across a 49er hydraulic mining site, finding an old sluice box channel cut right into the rock via a tunnel under the road.  I saw traces of liquid mercury still in the water in the calm pools, from the days of 49ers using mercury everywhere to bind with gold for processing.  Just amazing.

Date: 01/17/21 08:25
Author: Streamliner

This a magnificent photo and thanks to the OP for sharing it, but I need to ask a question:  Have we heard of any instances where a drone has failed and been hit by a locomotive?  

Date: 01/17/21 08:51

This little thing is pretty reliable.  Actually- it's VERY reliable- it does what the manufacturer promised.  In other words: if it was to get hit by a train it would most likely come down to pilot error.
SR

Date: 01/17/21 09:48
Author: Lackawanna484

That's a wonderful picture, thanks for sharing it.  How long did it take the Chinese laborers to blast and dig that cut?

Date: 01/17/21 09:56

I think about a full year.
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0506 seconds