Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Passenger Trains > PO 91/20/2021


Date: 02/21/21 13:55
PO 91/20/2021
Author: retcsxcfm

Started late out of Richmond.
Arrived in Tampa two and a half
down.
I heard the train and it had a strange
sounding horn.
Engine or weather?

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.



Date: 02/21/21 14:12
Re: PO 91/20/2021
Author: jst3751

retcsxcfm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Started late out of Richmond.
> Arrived in Tampa two and a half
> down.
> I heard the train and it had a strange
> sounding horn.
> Engine or weather?
>
> Uncle Joe
> Seffner,Fl.

Can some one please translate the subject line into english please?



Date: 02/21/21 14:31
Re: PO 91/20/2021
Author: Typhoon

jst3751 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> retcsxcfm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Started late out of Richmond.
> > Arrived in Tampa two and a half
> > down.
> > I heard the train and it had a strange
> > sounding horn.
> > Engine or weather?
> >
> > Uncle Joe
> > Seffner,Fl.
>
> Can some one please translate the subject line
> into english please?

Can you be a little less condescending?   Amtrak train P091, of the 21st, in the year 2021.  If you need more help, that would be the Silver Star.    


BTW, since you are so concerned about correct English, the e in English should be capitalized.



Date: 02/21/21 15:08
Re: PO 91/20/2021
Author: jp1822

retcsxcfm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Started late out of Richmond.
> Arrived in Tampa two and a half
> down.
> I heard the train and it had a strange
> sounding horn.
> Engine or weather?
>
> Uncle Joe
> Seffner,Fl.

OK - Wonderful. Hopefully we all had our English lesson and train coding lesson today. I am still a bit confused with it all but MOVING ON.......and back on topic - any guesses on the weird sounding horn? Was it that cold that it could have caused an issue with the sounding of the horn? Or is there just a P42 out there with a bad horn. Kinda happens both ways from time to time. Can't say that it is overly cold here in the Mid-Atlantic today!!!



Date: 02/21/21 15:33
Re: P091-20
Author: toledopatch

nedzarp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You have to admit the message was a little
> cryptic. I didn't get it either.

Even the person explaining it got part of it wrong - it's a reference the Silver Star originating on the 20th, not the 21st. (And the CSX symbol for it, as that person correctly wrote, is P091, not PO 91.)



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/21 15:33 by toledopatch.



Date: 02/21/21 16:25
Re: P091-20
Author: ronald321

Such trivial nonsense.  Apparently nobody cares this train was over 2 hours late (not an unusual occurrence, either.)



Date: 02/21/21 16:30
Re: P091-20
Author: Lackawanna484

91(20) doesn't show any major, multi-hour hits. Just 20 minutes here and there.   It was close to being on time into Petersburg VA.

What was the weather like in southern Virginia yesterday?



Date: 02/21/21 16:59
Re: PO 91/20/2021
Author: jst3751

Typhoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jst3751 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > retcsxcfm Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Started late out of Richmond.
> > > Arrived in Tampa two and a half
> > > down.
> > > I heard the train and it had a strange
> > > sounding horn.
> > > Engine or weather?
> > >
> > > Uncle Joe
> > > Seffner,Fl.
> >
> > Can some one please translate the subject line
> > into english please?
>
> Can you be a little less condescending?   Amtrak
> train P091, of the 21st, in the year 2021.  If
> you need more help, that would be the Silver Star.

Maybe you should triple check what you post before you do so. This is a thread about the Silver Star of the 20th, not the 21st.

Being that there are twelve "21st" days in a year, and since the OP included the year, we still have no clear absolute guarantee of what he is referring to in the cryptic subject line.

So, the OP's cryptic subject line should actually be correctly formatted "PO91(20)" but even then, that is still somewhat cryptic as not all railfans have train number memorized. 

So to the OP and others, the subject line should have been simply "Silver Star (20)" or "Silver Star of 02/20/2021"



Date: 02/21/21 17:22
Re: P091-20
Author: RayH

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> What was the weather like in southern Virginia
> yesterday?

HEAVY foam from Ashland to Rocky Mount...

Courtesy the CSX spirit trio on Q409-18



Date: 02/21/21 18:12
Re: P091-20
Author: Lackawanna484

RayH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > What was the weather like in southern Virginia
> > yesterday?
>
> HEAVY foam from Ashland to Rocky Mount...
>
> Courtesy the CSX spirit trio on Q409-18

Thanks!

Posted from Android



Date: 02/21/21 20:41
Re: P091-20
Author: PHall

How about not using CSX code? That should eliminate some of the confusion.



Date: 02/21/21 20:54
Re: P091-20
Author: SPC

I can’t ever understand why people insist on using CSX codes people don’t understand. Virtually nobody else refers Amtrak trains by their NS-only, CN-only, UP-only, BNSF-only, and take your host railroad pick-only symbols unless they are the specific operating crew on that segment of railroad and the rules require it.

Amtrak and employees don’t even refer to the trains this way, so who are you trying to impress?



Date: 02/21/21 23:16
Re: P091-20
Author: WP17

Almost a half century ago, I wrote the Amtrak news column for a major west coast railfan magazine. The publisher insisted that I always indicate the origin and destination of any Amtrak train the first time I mentioned the train by either name or number. His reason was that not all his readers knew where Amtrak trains ran. It was a pain to do sometimes (did I really want to type "the Los Angeles New Orleans Sunset" but it was a good policy. And it's a good policy that applies here and now. People who post news on TO boards should not assume that everyone reading your post knows as much about the subject/nomenclature as you do.

BTW I found nothing condescending about jst3751's request -- it was something many of us wanted to know.  I appreciate jst3751 asking for clarification and appreciate responses from those who took his request politely and seriously.

WP17



Date: 02/22/21 00:46
Re: P091-20
Author: GenePoon

Does anybody still care?

91(20) had the AMTK 40 and 14.

91(21), if that was actually the one concerned (don't think so), has the AMTK 62 and 157.

And...P091-20 is the CSX symbol; 91(20) is the Amtrak train number. I think most here know that.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/21 00:50 by GenePoon.



Date: 02/22/21 03:11
Re: P091-20
Author: ClubCar

WP17 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Almost a half century ago, I wrote the Amtrak news
> column for a major west coast railfan magazine.
> The publisher insisted that I always indicate the
> origin and destination of any Amtrak train the
> first time I mentioned the train by either name or
> number. His reason was that not all his readers
> knew where Amtrak trains ran. It was a pain to do
> sometimes (did I really want to type "the Los
> Angeles New Orleans Sunset" but it was a good
> policy. And it's a good policy that applies here
> and now. People who post news on TO boards should
> not assume that everyone reading your post knows
> as much about the subject/nomenclature as you do.
>
> BTW I found nothing condescending about jst3751's
> request -- it was something many of us wanted to
> know.  I appreciate jst3751 asking for
> clarification and appreciate responses from those
> who took his request politely and seriously.
>
> WP17
I agree with you WP17 about the fact that everybody who reads these posts and responds should respect and treat everyone with respect and be polite at all times.  However; I am an older guy and I personally do not know all the railroad numbers for trains that operate around our country.  I am one of those who really appreciates it when someone tells a story here and spells out the actual train that he or she is talking about.  Those who take short-cuts make it very difficult for others.  Please, never assume that all of us understand a subject when you only indicate a number or do a lot of abbreviations.  I really don't think that this is asking too much.  Thank you one and all.
John in White Marsh, Maryland



Date: 02/22/21 13:45
Re: P091-20
Author: agentatascadero

If one were to conduct a survey (not me, thanks), I'd wager that most TO members, especially those who visit the passenger board, are aware of Amtrak train numbers........and far fewer know, or care, about individual railroad designations of Amtrak trains.  I'm in the second group.....and recall getting grief for criticizing that PO, or is it really P0?.......thing.  To me, it is a message meant for insiders in the know.  Why come here to speak to that presumably very small group?

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA



Date: 02/22/21 14:47
Re: PO 91/20/2021
Author: Molino

If employees don't refer to the trains like this, than who does when discussing them?



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0543 seconds