Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Passenger Trains > PBS-Newshour

Date: 02/18/02 16:56
PBS-Newshour
Author: xnj

Tonight (EST) Newshour had a good Amtrak feature with Gilbert Carmicheal and Missouri (I believe) Gov who's on the Amtrak board.
The debate was very good...check it out if you can on the West coast.

Date: 02/18/02 19:39
RE: PBS-Newshour
Author: ken15

I had a telephone alert via my answering machine here in Southern California and I was able to see the report just a few minutes after I got home from work.

I was also able to notify a couple of other fans.

I agree with xnj that it was an excellent report with a cordial debate (in my opinion) between Gilbert Carmichael who is Chairman of the Amtrak Reform Council and Mayor John Robert Smith, Mayor of Meridian, Mississippi and an Amtrak Board member.

Incidentally, both Mayor Smith and Gilbert Carmichael are friends of Trent Lott, Senate Republican Minority Leader, and Gilbert Carmichael was appointed to the Amtrak Reform Council by Senator Lott.

Did anyone else see The Newshour Amtrak Report tonight and if you did, your comments?

ken15

Date: 02/18/02 23:45
RE: PBS-Newshour
Author: BrianJennison

Well, it was certainly better than an NBC "hit piece." The bit featured shots of the "CZ" including the front range, Colorado Springs and some running west of Bond, including pacing shots. I'd say a film crew out of Denver spent a day at it. The "debate" was interesting because both members seemed to think that we need passenger trains, even 'tho one of them wanted to break up Amtrak into 13 regional groups...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0249 seconds