Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Passenger Trains > Florida: SunRail question

Date: 03/29/21 23:35
Florida: SunRail question
Author: wpamtk

I'll be in the Kissimmee area next week, and it looks like I'll have a brief opportunity to do a bit of railfanning. I would like to photograph a few SunRail trains and was hoping to get some suggestions for good photo spots on the south end of the line (south of downtown Orlando). I have the addresses of the stations, but I'd appreciate some local insight. Also, which end of the trains is the power on?
TIA

Date: 03/30/21 05:17
Re: Florida: SunRail question
Author: ldstephey

Power is on the north end.  I’ve never looked for photo spots, so I can’t help there.

Spend a couple of hours and do an end-to-end ride.  When traveling southbound, you can sit up front and get a driver’s eye view.  You can even read the switches.

If you go to YouTube and search “Sunrail” there are a number of good videos and they will tell you where they got their shots.

Larry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/21 05:23 by ldstephey.

Date: 03/30/21 05:47
Author: RevRandy

I like to film/watch trains at Mary Jess Road, just off of S. Orange Avenue - there are good views both north and south without having to trespass on FDOT land. Here you will get the trains (both SunRail and Amtrak) moving at speed.   coordinates: 28.480150, -81.372210.  

Here's a sample video from that location

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/30/21 08:46
Author: RRBMail

At the northern end near Sanford(?) there is a gravel dealer along the ROW that uses a GP30 for a yard switcher. Tricky to find the road though, it is a once way street in a residential area. 

Date: 03/30/21 09:01

RRBaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At the northern end near Sanford(?) there is a
> gravel dealer along the ROW that uses a GP30 for a
> yard switcher. Tricky to find the road though, it
> is a once way street in a residential area. 

I believe that would be Conrad Yelvington at 2490 Jewett Lane in Sanford.  They are a bit south of and the other side of the tracks from the Amtrak Auto Train station.

Oh,btw, I should remind you that Sunrail still does not run on weekends.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/21 09:05 by ldstephey.

Date: 03/30/21 10:58
Author: retcsxcfm

If you will be in "Kiss-a-me".Stay around there.
Amtrak and Sun Rail pass almost daily.
SR is M-F only..

Nice locations just south of the Amtrak station
which is across from the SR station.

Look at Google Maps satalite view to give you
an idea.what the place looks like.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 03/30/21 21:48
Author: IC_2024

WpAmtk, just to see rgzfan's awesome "Gator Land" production was worth your post, alone.  Have fun in "Kissimee" no matter how it's pronounced!
(EFFIN Disney foamer, you!-- bahhaha-- "we're open-- come on , all you Walt fans!).   Never got that bug, somehow...  haha
When I went to Disneyland in 2019 and told this Docent guy that I hadn't been back there in over 50 years when I visited when I was 6, he nearly fainted...  HAHAHA--  Oh well, Wally world isn't for everyone...  Fun, but not a fanatic... I'll leave that to you and your long-standing Disney friends and animators... Enjoy!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/21 23:48 by IC_2024.

Date: 03/30/21 23:53

Thanks everyone (except for being outed by IC_2024)! I've ridden the train at Gatorland, and shot the Conrad Yelvington unit at Sanford as well as the ones in downtown Orlando (when they were Alcos), but I haven't been to FL in ten years so SunRail is the new thing. Their power looks weird, but like Mount Everest it's "because it's there." 

Date: 03/31/21 17:49

Just thought of another question: where is the SunRail maintenance facility located?

Date: 04/01/21 05:09

Just a bit north of the Auto Train yard on the west side of the tracks.

Date: 04/01/21 06:28
Author: Lackawanna484

ldstephey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a bit north of the Auto Train yard on the
> west side of the tracks.
>  
Yes, by the SunRail station.

For a while Amtrak was handling some of the SunRail locomotive servicing at Sanford.

Don't know if that is still the case.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3147 seconds