Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Passenger Trains > Rail section in White House $2.25t infrastructure release

Current Page:1 of 5

Date: 03/31/21 10:15
Rail section in White House $2.25t infrastructure release
Author: jdhenchman

Invest in reliable passenger and freight rail service. The nation’s rail networks have the potential to offer safe, reliable, efficient, and climate-friendly alternatives for moving people and freight. However, unlike highways and transit, rail lacks a multi-year funding stream to address deferred maintenance, enhance existing corridors, and build new lines in high-potential locations. There are currently projects just waiting to be funded that will give millions more Americans reliable and fast inter-city train service. President Biden is calling on Congress to invest $80 billion to address Amtrak’s repair backlog; modernize the high traffic Northeast Corridor; improve existing corridors and connect new city pairs; and enhance grant and loan programs that support passenger and freight rail safety, efficiency, and electrification.

Date: 03/31/21 11:08
Re: Rail section in White House $2.25t infrastructure release
Author: PC1974

Date: 03/31/21 11:17
Author: ironmtn

All noble thoughts, but wrapped up in a bill with a gut-wrenching price tag that will be funded either substantially or entirely with trillions in new debt, hung upon a nation that is already highly encumbered with debt, much of it taken on recently under the rubric of Covid-19 response. Already claims are being made (even by centrists) that this is really a massive tax increase masquerading as an infrastructure bill, with the taxation part to be a hidden second pill (to be revealed and swallowed later) that we will have to gulp down to pay for it all.

I am reminded of the classic statement of Illinois' longtime Republican senator of years past (1951 to 1969), Everett Dirksen. He only spoke of billions of dollars. My paraphrase: "A trillion here, a trillion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money." Everett Dirksen must be spinning in his grave at the breathtaking price tags of this and other recent appropriations.

The devil will be in the details. We shall see. I for one am not optimistic.

MC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/21 11:27 by ironmtn.

Date: 03/31/21 11:58
Author: co614

I have not yet done the detailed math but I'm confident that with the additional $ 80 BILLION Amtrak is slated to receive that full service dining cars are on the horizon !!! 

Prime rib, Rack of Lamb and Live Lobster will soon be a reality, served on a crisp white cloth table cloth, adorned with fresh flowers and heavy stainless cutlery !!  Wonderful news. 

Ross Rowland 

Date: 03/31/21 12:33
Author: TAW

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have not yet done the detailed math but I'm
> confident that with the additional $ 80 BILLION
> Amtrak is slated to receive that full service
> dining cars are on the horizon !!! 
>
>    Prime rib, Rack of Lamb and Live Lobster will
> soon be a reality, served on a crisp white cloth
> table cloth, adorned with fresh flowers and heavy
> stainless cutlery !!  Wonderful news. 
>

Particularly if the train runs seven days a week and is on time.

TAW

Date: 03/31/21 12:40
Author: joemvcnj

co614 Wrote:
> I have not yet done the detailed math but I'm
> confident that with the additional $ 80 BILLION
> Amtrak is slated to receive that full service
> dining cars are on the horizon !!! 
>
>    Prime rib, Rack of Lamb and Live Lobster will
> soon be a reality, served on a crisp white cloth
> table cloth, adorned with fresh flowers and heavy
> stainless cutlery !!  Wonderful news. 
>
>     Ross Rowland 

With "deferred maintenance, enhance existing corridors, and build new lines in high-potential locations.", It does not sound like Amtrak wants one red cent of it for the national network. . 

Date: 03/31/21 13:21
Author: John

According to news yesterday, it is proposed to pay for this in part through an increase in corporate tax rates.

Date: 03/31/21 13:46
Author: altoonafn

4thDistrict Wrote:
> Much of that money will go into worker's wallets
> and then into the economy through their purchases.
> That's the important point to be considered in
> this, and all large infrastructure plans. Like the
> Great New Deal and post WWII infrastructure
> efforts, worker income is increased, the economy
> grows, people's lives are improved, and
> infrastructure gains. If done properly, the
> benefits far outweigh the negatives, as has been
> proved over and over in this country's history.
> With the current administration I feel confident
> that this, as with so many before it, will be the
> success it is intended to be. 
>
> ironmtn Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > All noble thoughts, but wrapped up in a bill
> with
> > a gut-wrenching price tag that will be funded
> > either substantially or entirely with trillions
> in
> > new debt, hung upon a nation that is already
> > highly encumbered with debt, much of it taken
> on
> > recently under the rubric of Covid-19 response.
> > Already claims are being made (even by
> centrists)
> > that this is really a massive tax increase
> > masquerading as an infrastructure bill, with
> the
> > taxation part to be a hidden second pill (to be
> > revealed and swallowed later) that we will have
> to
> > gulp down to pay for it all.
> >
> > I am reminded of the classic statement of
> > Illinois' longtime Republican senator of years
> > past (1951 to 1969), Everett Dirksen. He only
> > spoke of billions of dollars. My paraphrase: "A
> > trillion here, a trillion there, and pretty
> soon
> > you're talking real money." Everett Dirksen
> must
> > be spinning in his grave at the breathtaking
> price
> > tags of this and other recent appropriations.
> >
> > The devil will be in the details. We shall see.
> I
> > for one am not optimistic.
> >
> > MC

Not really. It will mostly go to the 8 levels of contractors who do the work.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/31/21 14:29
Author: ronald321

Amtrak is as deserving of the $80B as anyone else in this Bill.  It's not that much, considering the 40 years of starvation budgets endured my Amtrak.

We all know it will receive zero Republican support - so I hope the Dems are brave enough to use the Senate Sequester rules--and pass it without them.
(just as the Repubs. did with the "tax cut for the rich"  - also a Trillion dollar affair.)

My only worry is -- can this bill get 100% backing from Dems. -- it only takes ONE Democrate to screw it up.

Date: 03/31/21 14:46
Author: MacBeau

Sounds like the height of sagacity at this juncture. 
—Mac

ironmtn Wrote:
> The devil will be in the details. We shall see. I
> for one am not optimistic.
>
> MC

Date: 03/31/21 15:21
Author: jp1822

The way I see it is that this Bill has to pass the Senate and House not only now, but then be sustained and not be bombarded or raided or cutoff in future sessions or with a change of guard.........Infrastructure is not something that gets done overnight. It's going to take YEARS to build something out, let alone figure out a way to get freight railroads on board too - especially with electrification. This is VERY tall order, and I can only imagine the tax hikes that are going to come with it. You may need to wonder if sleeper car fares and fine dining will be able to be afforded by passengers who will travel by train! Moreover, is the current Amtrak leadership "the right leadership" to lead Amtrak into this new horizon? Do they have the vision and knowledge on how to mobilize and put the logistics in place? Going to require a lot of people to come together on the rail front. Building a passenger train network in combination with a freight train network (particularly if they are sharing) is a tall order. .........With mixed feelings.....  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/21 15:25 by jp1822.

Date: 03/31/21 15:30
Author: Winnemucca

Been waiting since 1971 for national leadership to wake up to the potential of Amtrak and rail travel. Finally, a serious proposal that has significant political backing! Finally, an administration that sees passenger rail as a co-equal component with highway and air travel.

As Jim Mathews at PRA/NARP says he’s ready for this are we? Well, yes I am. Ready to write letters, make phone calls and advocate for this. Ready to travel to the next in person advocacy day on The Hill.

If you believe in rail travel now is our moment. It won’t come again anytime soon.

400% increase in intercity rail. That means things like 2 or 3x daily service on the LD distance routes. No more 3x weekly BS. The Lark will ride again. Numerous new routes. And, yes, real dining car service. And much more...

Of course much work to be done. The “freights” won’t like it and somehow we will have to get them to see the light.

We need someone with better inspirational skills than I to rally the troops. Shakespeare’s Saint Crispin’s day speech in “Henry the V” comes to mind. If you're not a PRA member now is the time to join.

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 03/31/21 15:30
Author: joemvcnj

Intercity rail money needs to be spread around to rural states, not just "emerging corridors". A North Coast Hiawatha or Pioneer will get you more votes than a Charlotte or Nashville - Atlanta service, and probably cost less to initiate. Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, and Idaho want trains more than South Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee do. Amtrak's mental fixation on corridors will be a problem. 

Date: 03/31/21 15:34
Author: robj

First, White House Press relaease - Jobs Bill which is all I really need to know.   Have I seen that before??
But who will fill these jobs, all the kids going to college with free tuition and majoring in ??

I thought the idea was you strip out the non infrastructure to get wide spread support but as you dig into it, does not do that.

To the Victors go the spoils so in Illinois I am not waiting for  the equitible share  in my Republican collar county.  1920's designed state roads, patches, and 2 ' shoulders.  County roads are better designed, better maintained and plowed in the winter before they drift shut

But at least maybe we will have EV charging stations.

Bob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/21 15:36 by robj.

Date: 03/31/21 15:43
Author: WM1977

I would suggest reading about the Wiemar Republic (Germany pre WWII) to find out what happens when a country spends too much money that it doesn't have. The image of a wheel barrow full of money to buy groceries comes to mind.
CR

Date: 03/31/21 15:58
Author: Winnemucca

I would suggest that we think about how this nation raised enough $ to defeat the succssors of the Weimar Republic. If we financially (and militarily) survived WWII then we can rebuild America’s rail system. 

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 03/31/21 16:48
Author: altoonafn

Winnemucca Wrote:
> I would suggest that we think about how this
> nation raised enough $ to defeat the succssors of
> the Weimar Republic. If we financially (and
> militarily) survived WWII then we can rebuild
> America’s rail system. 

This is insanely ignorant of the current debt situation.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/31/21 17:09
Author: viatrainrider

I am all for the infrastructure bill.  Maybe the one chance ever for new Superliners!!

Date: 03/31/21 17:39
Author: railcity

Amtrak needs to Order alots of New Stuff like 500 Brand New Superliners Cars  and more Viewliner 2 too replace old viewliners 1 sleeping cars from the 90s and other new cars too.

Date: 03/31/21 17:44
Author: Molino

They need to not run on freight tracks and build a safe system like the Japanese have.  They also need to get rid of the people who currently run the company that allowed for the deadly wrecks in the past. 

Current Page:1 of 5

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0789 seconds