Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Passenger Trains > Better to book AGR points on NEC Business Class than Coach

Date: 03/31/21 10:11
Better to book AGR points on NEC Business Class than Coach
Author: joemvcnj

I booked a AGR trip from New Brunswick to New Haven for July. 
Coach     1,882 points (would have been $30).
Business 1,562 points (would have been $71).

I don't understand the anomaly, but I took the bait.
It also shows you a seating chart of the business car (though not with window spacing), direction of travel, where you are, and what is taken, and it is very easy to change. Thus far, 4 of 59 seats are taken.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/21 10:12 by joemvcnj.

Date: 03/31/21 11:06
Re: Better to book AGR points on NEC Business Class than Coach
Author: CP8888

4 out of 59 seats in business class is the answer.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/31/21 11:11

OK, but why more points needed for coach, though less money if using cash ? That's the anomaly. 

Date: 03/31/21 11:47
Author: johnpage

Yield management computer algorithms. It looks at occupancy more than it does at class of service. More seats available, the lower the cost. It's an imperfect system that is managed by machine, not a live person.

Date: 03/31/21 13:28
Author: BRAtkinson

I noticed oddball NEC pricing a couple weeks ago when I booked a trip on the restored 'Night Owl' sleeper.  My first trip on Amtrak in over a year. 

Most surprisingly, when looking at options NHV-BOS, it showed business class regional and business class Acela ALL the same price!  And the points were the same as well!  I think there was even a couple of instances where regional business class was cheaper than coach!

Obviously, their light loading, aka, lack of 'regular' NEC passengers has triggered the 'super discount' mode, at least on the NEC.  Throw in their $29 4 day flash sale for the NEC a couple weeks ago, they are definitely looking to fill empty seats at ANY price!  $29 is better than 0$ any time!

Date: 03/31/21 14:17

I guess the NEC is no longer "profitable" is it ? 
I don't see first class fire-sales going on the national network. 

Date: 03/31/21 16:00
Author: RRBMail

I am lead to believe that so-called "yield Management" is entirely run by computers without human oversight. No one seems to actually DO something or Make something nowadays in the USA, they earn their interchangeable MBA's and become job interchangeable without specialized skills like--thinking originally. I first became aware of this when a new middle manager at a big transit authority called me one day and asked where the steering wheel was in one of their locomotives. I referred the (well-paid) poor sot to Thomas the Tank Engine on PBS. Yes, this is a true story! As I am more and more fond of saying: "I have seen the future and I'm happy that I won't be there!" 

Date: 03/31/21 18:16
Author: Jimbo

If I remember correctly, when using points coach is figured using the non-discounted Value fare, instead of the cheaper Saver fare.  There is only one Business class fare.  So often Business class in points may be close to what coach is in points.  I don't think I've seen less points required for Business than coach, though.

Jim

Date: 04/01/21 05:39

It would be be very simply to code in their programs that if Business Class Points < Coach Class Points, then Business Class Points = Coach Class Points.

Date: 04/02/21 07:49
Author: mbrotzman

On the other hand it looks like there is a hard coded rule that sets a high bucket price floor within some days of departure. A week out tkts are $20, but 2 days out they are min $70 with trains showing as 20-30% sold.  Looks like they are trying to foce change fees by another name.  "Sure you can change your $20 ticket, but now every train costs $70."

Date: 04/02/21 15:52

You get the feeling no one is minding the store ? 

Date: 04/03/21 07:57
Author: Lackawanna484

mbrotzman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On the other hand it looks like there is a hard
> coded rule that sets a high bucket price floor
> within some days of departure. A week out tkts are
> $20, but 2 days out they are min $70 with trains
> showing as 20-30% sold.  Looks like they are
> trying to foce change fees by another name. 
> "Sure you can change your $20 ticket, but now
> every train costs $70."

That view is very consistent with my experience.

It is unusual to have last minute deep discount tickets available on many airlines or Amtrak at the last minute.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds