Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Passenger Trains > Delta CEO: ‘Our Business Has Made a Turn’

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/17/21 11:46
Delta CEO: ‘Our Business Has Made a Turn’
Author: GenePoon

Followup to earlier thread about airline bookings, particularly Delta Air LInes, making a strong revovery:

Delta CEO: ‘Our Business Has Made a Turn’
Thrifty Traveler
Kyle Potter- April 16, 2021

It may seem ironic or out-of-touch after posting yet another billion-dollar-plus loss, but Delta Air Lines made it clear this week: The worst of the pandemic is clearly behind them.

Americans across the country are finally planning travel again, leading to a surge of new bookings bigger than Delta has seen since the pandemic began. After burning millions of dollars a day through the last year, Delta finally turned positive by the end of March.

“What’s been clear to us is that our business has made a turn,” Delta CEO Ed Bastian told CNBC on Thursday as Delta  released its financial results from the first quarter of 2021. “We’ve seen a huge surge in bookings just over the last couple months. In March, we had twice the amount of bookings that we had just in January.”

That’s right:  Double the bookings in just two months. And while Delta was the first major U.S. airline to report its financial results, other carriers are likely feeling the same tailwinds after the most brutal year in the history of the airline industry...

...Business travel – airlines’ lifeblood – is still down by nearly 80% compared to 2019. The same is true for long-haul international travel: Hauenstein and Bastian said the airline doesn’t expect that to return until late 2021, aside from some bright spots like  the reopening of Iceland to vaccinated travelers and the potential for a travel corridor with the United Kingdom sometime in the next six months.

But for the first time in more than a year, there’s optimism in the air.

“It’s clear that at Delta, we’ve reached an important inflection point as we navigate the pandemic and move into the recovery phase of 2021,” Bastian said.

https://thriftytraveler.com/news/airlines/delta-turnaround-pandemic/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/21 18:10 by GenePoon.

Date: 04/17/21 12:53
Re: Delta CEO: ‘Our Business Has Made a Turn’
Author: goneon66

Date: 04/17/21 13:25
Author: jeff56

What are we doing wrong in North America? Once people start traveling on 
packed modes of transportation, I feel it will only get worse - unless we can
get to the "herd" immunity soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/21 13:26 by jeff56.

Date: 04/17/21 13:40
Author: altoonafn

Unfortunately many of the so-called leaders in this country are politically invested in the pandemic continuing. I fear that many of the restrictions will never be lifted to justify "emergency" spending on wish list items. 

Date: 04/17/21 14:01
Author: tmurray

DevalDragon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The pandemic is over. It's time to get life back to normal.
Please let us all know where you buy weed...
In your head you may be over it, you want it to be over-  we all do., Reality: it isn't.
Amtrak is trying to keep people from getting infected, Delta may not care.  In about 6 mos, their bookings will drop and they'll cry for another bailout, unless they want to fly coffins and urns.
This board is becoming unreadable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/21 14:02 by tmurray.

Date: 04/17/21 14:02
Author: ctillnc

940 died from Covid in the U.S. yesterday (Friday April 16). The pandemic isn't over. But yes, 940 is definitely better than the high water mark of 5,463 deaths in the U.S. on February 12. 

Date: 04/17/21 14:20
Author: cabsignaldrop

Agreed.

altoonafn Wrote:
> Unfortunately many of the so-called leaders in
> this country are politically invested in the
> pandemic continuing. I fear that many of the
> restrictions will never be lifted to justify
> "emergency" spending on wish list items. 

Posted from Android

Date: 04/17/21 14:52
Author: robj

Niece at OSU went to Florida with 20 of closest friends.  She got covid,  
Her Mom call to see how she is doing and hears all this noise.  They are having a covid party for all those that tested positive.

Guy helps at the house, got the stimulus, him and girlfriend snagged deal to Vegas for 5 days at Luxor.

Wife is going to work this season at Apostle Islands NLS, they expect to break records.
Went for fish Friday at little local place, couple tables open.
Wifes best friend an husband shopped all over to find RV for back for PU, got one home and can't wait to get on road this summer.

Visted my wife working at Yellowstone last summer, fly west in November, had a great summer playing park tennis in Chicago in a large group,
no maks to be seen, bbq's after playing, doubles with only one can of balls.  Outdoors, watch  our distance etc. 

Out and about, read the literature, wear a good mask when required, understand time and distance.

Etc etc.
I remember after my heart attack 10 years ago, I was at doctors, very cute by the way late 30's.  I was down in dumps and she puts hand
on my shoulder.  "Bob, we all die sometime, don't spend your life worrying about it."

Bob

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/21 14:57 by robj.

Date: 04/17/21 15:27
Author: jp1822

GenePoon Wrote:

> “What’s been clear to us is that our business
> has made a turn,” Delta CEO Ed Bastian told CNBC
> on Thursday as Delta  released its financial
> results from the first quarter of 2021. “We’ve
> seen a huge surge in bookings just over the last
> couple months. In March, we had twice the amount
> of bookings that we had just in January.”

> ...Business travel – airlines’ lifeblood –
> is still down by nearly 80% compared to 2019. The
> same is true for long-haul international travel:
> Hauenstein and Bastian said the airline doesn’t
> expect that to return until late 2021......
>
> https://thriftytraveler.com/news/airlines/delta-tu
> rnaround-pandemic/

I cut the above out specifically - this is VERY telling. But what is Amtrak doing about the following three statements:

1) "business has made a turn...." Where is Amtrak seeing growth and how are they going after it to grow it? 
2) "huge surge in bookings just over the last couple months." YES, there should be a parallel, and where is Amtrak HARVESTING this surge in bookings?  
3)  "Business travel – airlines’ lifeblood – is still down by nearly 80% compared to 2019. So this spells a bit of doom for the multiple frequency trains that parade up and down the NEC; let alone the launch of Acela II; they all rely on business/commuter travellers. 
4) "same is true for long-haul international travel, Hauenstein and Bastian said the airline doesn’t expect that to return until late 2021......" this can translate into more DOMESTIC travel. National Parks throughout the US are already gearing up to have a reservation system in order to visit the Park. It would seem to me that trains that go to vacation spots or connect to short and long term vacation spots. The leisure travel - visiting friends/family and vacation destinations seems to be increasing. There was once a robust "Amtrak Vacations" Department. I think that has weakened over time. But moral of the story - Amtrak needs to survive and find ways to increase revenue. It needs to "butts" in the seats one way or another. Perhaps the leisure traveller is not the ideal "passenger" Amtrak wants, but if those are the ones travelling, that's what any business would go after. How is Amtrak aligning itself in this way? Can they make a pivot, like many businesses have had to do. 

We haven't seen any special discount programs to Glacier National Park yet, or to the Grand Canyon via Flagstaff. Can it be done? Amtrak had an uptick in leisure travel in the mid-1990s for some reason, just as the Superliner Trans-Dorm Sleepers were coming out. So to appease the demand, they operated this car as a revenue special all-roomette car. Recently, the private room advertisement has done some good it seems by introducing people to the fact that Amtrak "has this option." It's portrayed as a safe way to travel.

However, what does Amtrak do when re-launching and restoring NEC sleeper car service? They stick an elder, run-down Viewliner I as the sleeper, and NOT the NEWER Viewliner II sleeper, which I think was even advertised, with its new and improved upgraded interior and bedding.........So nice effort to RESTORE this service, but then they also sink the efforts by doing something stupid like this. The sleeper was also placed next to the electric locomotive all night (so one could head the horn all night), reports show it is not receiving a good cleaning out of Boston, announcements came through to the sleeper all evening and couldn't be shut off (remember - an elder Viewliner I), and the boxed breakfast didn't go over too well. It's bad enough they didn't put a Viewliner II in the consist, but was it also necessary to continue to add injury after insult? And the new Viewliner II sleepers continue to be parked? There's over 16 available for service - they are NOT all on the Silver Service, believe me. Perhaps Boston maintenance department refused to deal with a Viewliner II - as they often don't like change - but that doesn't explain why the car is not being cleaned out of Boston either!!! So to me this was utter failure of a re-launch and can't be repeated if Amtrak comes out with another alternative.  

Back on topic - what's going to sell right now in 2021??? Even a few years ago, I would have also aligned and said LD trains are dead and dying, the future is corridor networks. But it seems that for 2021, Amtrak may want to try to see how it can maximize its long distance train travel, or leisure travel advertising and targeting. Vermont wants its trains back for the summer tourist season!!!! I've not seen too "business travellers" on the Ethan Allen or Vermonter. Large part are taking it as a necessity (college students trying to get home) or leisure travellers exploring or on vacation!

Date: 04/17/21 15:53
Author: Lackawanna484

Amtrak likely has many different customer profiles. No one solution will work for even a majority of them.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/17/21 16:14
Author: sums007

Just checked #5 Chi-Den in October:  5% full.  Not exactly knocking the doors down.

Date: 04/17/21 16:31
Author: Chessie1963

Sometimes reading things on this site makes me so depressed.

Have some of you no hope, no realistic view of the "pandemic," or the damage that it is doing beyond the covid deaths?

I work at a university.  We are seeing suicide attempts, and some successes, in record numbers.  One of my students lost a best friend to suicide last month, and my daughter's best friend tried to kill herself (at my university).

So keep us locked down and keep ruining lives and futures.  Eventually the young folks will all off themsevles while you sit at home cowering in fear.

Go ride a train.  I am riding the LSL tomorrow.  I am 58 years old and in good health.  No fear.  None.

Commence the name calling!

Date: 04/17/21 16:32
Author: Chessie1963

Why did you choose October?

Do you know what October bookings looked like when checked the April prior back in 2019?  

What is your point?

sums007 Wrote:
> Just checked #5 Chi-Den in October:  5% full. 
> Not exactly knocking the doors down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/21 16:33 by Chessie1963.

Date: 04/17/21 17:10
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Delta CEO Ed Bastian is earning his $65,000/day compensation, I suppose.

Date: 04/17/21 17:13
Author: howeld

"Bob, we all die sometime, don't spend your life worrying about it."

This the best way to think about it.

If you want to protect yourself and stay home then do it, no one will stop you, but don’t try to shame the rest of us into the same. I’ve got a life to live and plan to live it. Only get so many years and I’m not wasting any of them.

My wife caught covid last fall. I gave it some thought at the time and decided to just sleep in the same room and get it over with. No luck, didn’t catch it. If I can’t catch it from a covid positive person sleeping in the same bed night after night then I’m not worrying about an airplane or anywhere else.

And before you ask we both had antibody tests this winter before we flew. She was positive for antibodies and I was negative.

Date: 04/17/21 19:05
Author: Train29

Well said howeld. But beware, many here will vilify you for daring to live your life without government interference. They prefer to live in fear in their basements. Hope you have a great time on your upcoming trip.

Date: 04/17/21 20:17
Author: ProAmtrak

robj Wrote:
> Niece at OSU went to Florida with 20 of closest
> friends.  She got covid,  
> Her Mom call to see how she is doing and hears all
> this noise.  They are having a covid party for
> all those that tested positive.
>
> Guy helps at the house, got the stimulus, him and
> girlfriend snagged deal to Vegas for 5 days at
> Luxor.
>
> Wife is going to work this season at Apostle
> Islands NLS, they expect to break records.
> Went for fish Friday at little local place, couple
> tables open.
> Wifes best friend an husband shopped all over to
> find RV for back for PU, got one home and can't
> wait to get on road this summer.
>
> Visted my wife working at Yellowstone last summer,
> fly west in November, had a great summer playing
> park tennis in Chicago in a large group,
> no maks to be seen, bbq's after playing, doubles
> with only one can of balls.  Outdoors, watch 
> our distance etc. 
>
> Out and about, read the literature, wear a good
> mask when required, understand time and distance.
>
> Etc etc.
> I remember after my heart attack 10 years ago, I
> was at doctors, very cute by the way late 30's. 
> I was down in dumps and she puts hand
> on my shoulder.  "Bob, we all die sometime, don't
> spend your life worrying about it."
>
>
> Bob
>
>  
Your doc made a good point, it sucks people like Jeff56 and a few other people I know who're so paranoid they think this is forever!

Posted from Android

Date: 04/17/21 20:21
Author: ProAmtrak

jeff56 Wrote:
> What are we doing wrong in North America? Once
> people start traveling on 
> packed modes of transportation, I feel it will
> only get worse - unless we can
> get to the "herd" immunity soon.

It really sucks people like you has to have this mindset, it's not gonna be like this forever and I'm with the guys who'll live their lives the best way they can and not live in fear!

Posted from Android

Date: 04/17/21 21:40
Author: pdt

Apparently, no one here has any concept of moderation.  Everything is all the way to one end or the other.
For those who are scared of "everything", there is such a thing as reasonable risk and reasonable caution.

For those who havent grown up mentally since u were 18, and still think you;re bulletproof, I dare u to not go to the emergency room or use public funds for youre health issues.  If you dont want act responsibly, others should not have to care for you.  Its sad that so many old men here have nothing to live for, other than massaging their own egos.

PS... Go Delta!!   They at least TRY toi balance the need to make money with lookimng after their employees.  Compromise and moderation. What a concept.

IDK why i read any of these threads.  Im just looking for information, and i get 75%  narrowminded opinion.   "its raining at my house, so it must be raining everywhere, cause i cant see past my own front porch..."   Welcome to TO

Date: 04/17/21 22:30
Author: goduckies

Yeah dangerous to have the freedom view here, I just moved to Idaho and the freedom is amazing!

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/21 22:31 by goduckies.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1386 seconds