Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/21/21 13:48
Alabama officials oppose forced return of Amtrak to Mobile
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Date: 04/21/21 14:17
Re: Alabama officials oppose forced return of Amtrak to Mobile
Author: altoonafn

Good for Alabama. Since this route is under 750 miles, Amtrak would no doubt be looking for subsidy after restarting the route. 

Date: 04/21/21 14:44
Author: stanhunter

Yet another way in which Alabama has turned the clock back 50 years.

Date: 04/21/21 14:46
Author: joemvcnj

CSX and Port of Mobile must make generous campaign contributions. 

Date: 04/21/21 14:57
Author: dan

plenty of places that want service

Date: 04/21/21 16:37
Author: DavidP

Sad commentary on the state of rail industry and Alabama's infrastructure if two daily passenger round trips can bring rail access to a signicant port to a standstill.  Both should be embarrassed.

Dave

Date: 04/21/21 17:21
Author: steamloco

A bus load of people on Amtrak seems to be in the way every day when intermodal traffic is trying to move on the old Piedmont Division. Freight is backed up everywhere and no one wants to see Amtrak right now. Just the facts, people want their products delivered and don't care about vacationers. Money talks.

Date: 04/21/21 18:05
Author: Lackawanna484

Not for nothing, but the passenger rail supporters deserve a lot of credit here.  They moved the proposed station location, they've worked with the Port to find common ground.  Nothing seems to be good enough.  And when there might be an area of agreement, the Governor squashes it.    There are people in Mobile and the region who want this passenger rail service.

It's unfortunate they may be waiting another 15 years for it...

Date: 04/21/21 19:33
Author: ProAmtrak

Should've restored 1 and 2 when CSX told them the tracks were repaired, nice job Amtrak!

Posted from Android

Date: 04/21/21 20:03

stanhunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yet another way in which Alabama has turned the
> clock back 50 years.

One could make the argument that passenger trains are relics of 50 years ago. 

Date: 04/21/21 20:04
Author: RuleG

Maybe I'm looking for maps in all of the wrong places, but I was unable to find a map to help understand the relationship of the line Amtrak seeks to use with the trackage providing access to the port in Mobile.  Can anyone provide a link to such a map?

I have a hard time understanding how a couple of Amtrak trains could interfere with freight rail operations in the port area.  What happens if the number of freight trains using the line increases?   Would that interfere with rail operations associated with the port, too?

Date: 04/22/21 03:26
Author: Flyer92122

Until the people of AL stop voting against their best interests send the infrastructure/rail funding to States that appreciate it. Honestly rail is the last of AL citizens concerns, they have no idea how they are being held back in all walks of life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/21 03:27 by Flyer92122.

Date: 04/22/21 04:20
Author: RRBMail

stanhunter Wrote:
> Yet another way in which Alabama has turned the
> clock back 50 years.

They have clocks in Alabama?

Date: 04/22/21 04:34

They only have analog clocks in Alabama. The ones in the CSX offices only have the hour hand. 

Let's see:
add 2 pairs of passenger trains - the ports and the freight trains will seize up and paralyze.
add 2 pairs of freight trains - no one says a word, the Republicans don't notice, and life at the ports goes on. 

Date: 04/22/21 05:11
Author: cabsignaldrop

Lots of hate going on here towards Alabama. Hey, most of us on this board support passenger rail, its expansion and public support thereof. However, as a republic, we vote for representatives we believe will act in out best interests and uphold our values.

Apparently, folks in Alabama don't really care about this service enough to press the matter. Especially outside Mobile. All this "we know what's best for you" mentality is very elitist. And had Amtrak not pressed the PRIIA crap, 403B trains would still be around and much less expensive than the current setup.

Just because some people don't think trains are a high priority doesn't mean they are horrible and backwards. Just means they have other issues more important to them.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/22/21 06:23

Flyer92122 Wrote:
> Until the people of AL stop voting against their
> best interests send the infrastructure/rail
> funding to States that appreciate it. Honestly
> rail is the last of AL citizens concerns, they
> have no idea how they are being held back in all
> walks of life.

More elitism on this board. You are not qualified to tell someone what their "best interests" are. 

Date: 04/22/21 06:46
Author: Molino

Out of curiosity I was just looking at Google Earth, could this potential train simply truncate and not even go to Mobile and push pull at Pascagoula Mississippi? 

It looked like there's a crossover to a small yard siding next to the depot there.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/21 06:46 by Molino.

Date: 04/22/21 06:57

I really don't care what happens down there, but I can only laugh at them - adults running CSX, the Ports, and Congress acting as though a meteorite was gong to hit their community if Amtrak comes to town once or twice a day. 

Date: 04/22/21 07:45
Author: Typhoon

joemvcnj Wrote:
> I really don't care what happens down there, but I
> can only laugh at them - adults running CSX, the
> Ports, and Congress acting as though a meteorite
> was gong to hit their community if Amtrak comes to
> town once or twice a day. 

All they are asking is Amtrak completes a traffic study.  Amtrak is opposed to doing it, and is trying to strong arm the trains into existance.  If the 4 trains a day are such an easy peasy thing to run without adding congestion, as the foamers on this board indicate, why is Amtrak opposed to the study?

https://www.alreporter.com/2021/04/22/congressional-delegation-concerned-amtrak-to-mobile-may-negatively-impact-economy

“Last month, I expressed my disappointment in Amtrak’s failures to uphold its commitment to a feasibility study to demonstrate the impact of passenger rail on the Port of Mobile and the commercial interests of Alabama,” Carl said. “Amtrak’s ongoing efforts to reintroduce passenger rail service are concerning, so my colleagues and I are urging the Surface Transportation Board to require the completion of a feasibility study prior to the return of Amtrak service in Mobile, because all parties have an obligation to protect the economic interests of Alabama’s workers and businesses."

”“Amtrak service would no doubt be good for the economy of the Mobile area, but if it will come at the expense of the greater economy of the port, then that isn’t an acceptable trade off. Amtrak needs to work with all of the stakeholders to come to an equitable solution,” Aderholt said.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/21 07:47 by Typhoon.

Date: 04/22/21 10:40
Author: gbmott

joemvcnj Wrote:
> I really don't care what happens down there, but I
> can only laugh at them - adults running CSX, the
> Ports, and Congress acting as though a meteorite
> was gong to hit their community if Amtrak comes to
> town once or twice a day. 

I have no basis for claiming that a couple passenger trains would shut down Mobile, but the fact is that the whole way between Three Mile Creek and Brookley, especially the Sibert/Alabama State Docks area, is very congested and long has been.  The port is very active and still growing.  The study that was being done was the proper approach; why Amtrak pulled out of it and tried to force their way in is a mystery unless they were afraid of what its conclusions would have been.  I think the politicians are being reasonable in saying finish the study.

Gordon  

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2437 seconds