Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Passenger Trains > Metrolink – a Cart before the Horse

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/23/21 10:00
Metrolink – a Cart before the Horse
Author: ABHoffmann

POST 1 (of 5)

In recent years Metrolink (Southern California Regional Railroad Authority, SCRRA, SCAX) had a very successful ridership-wise END OF THE LINE San Bernardino Depot stop.  Across from the six-track stop was a parking lot.  A parking garage was even built past that to accommodate the ever increasing riders, who, from that parking garage, then only had a half of a block walk to the boarding area.

Date: 09/23/21 10:03
Re: Metrolink – a Cart before the Horse

POST 2

Then someone had a brainstorm idea, and Federal dollars was applied for and received to extend the San Bernardino Line to a Downtown stop (and make massive bus connections with many agencies), which will also meet a future “Arrow” train from Redlands.  A NEW Depot stop was built (photo upper background) with an overhead bridge for safely getting to the other track (there are now two Metrolink through-tracks), that replaced the old six-track Depot stop.  Unfortunately, It was like putting the cart before the horse!  That parking garage was now a two or three blocks walk to the new boarding area, depending where at the stop one boarded!

Date: 09/23/21 10:04

POST 3

Enter COVID-19, and Metrolink ridership was decimated!  Things went from a packed parking garage to a rather empty one!

Date: 09/23/21 10:05

POST 4

Some here at trainorders.com have suggested that the riders that used to park at the parking garage moved over to the new Downtown stop to avoid the two or three block walk.  But, that Downtown parking lot is scantly parked in, with cars parked only here and there.

Date: 09/23/21 10:07

POST 5

Hopefully, Metrolink ridership will return after the present COVID-19 pandemic is behind us.  BUT, the San Bernardino Depot stop riders will have to live with a “cart before the horse” parking garage.  Of course, health buffs and hikers will see a positive aspect to a very long walk!  And it never rains in Southern California anyway, right?

Date: 09/23/21 12:06
Author: OTG

#1:  Nobody could have predicted the Pandemic when they built the garage.  It's not fair to say they put the cart before the horse when they had a healthy, living horse as they began building the cart, but the horse died suddenly once it was built.  You just can't plan for that.

#2:  The Downtown station is primarily a transit connection center.  It's surrounded by commercial development, no housing for several blocks.  The depot station however is surrounded by housing.  When/if commuter ridership comes back that is where most local residents will go to catch the train, which is why it needs a parking garage.  A multi-block walk is not necessary when the train stops at both locations.

Date: 09/23/21 12:51

OTG:

I did not say COVID-19 caused the problem, but planners not seeing the future caused the parking garage to be built in the now inconvenient and wrong place.

If planners had foreseen the future, they could have built the parking garage practically trackside, a very convenient place.

Date: 09/23/21 13:32
Author: jst3751

ABHoffmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OTG:
>  
> I did not say COVID-19 caused the problem, but
> planners not seeing the future caused the parking
> garage to be built in the now inconvenient and
> wrong place.
>  
> If planners had foreseen the future, they could
> have built the parking garage practically
> trackside, a very convenient place.

The parking structure was opened for public use on March 30, 2011. It was desperately needed and was well used.

What your arrogant know-it-all attitude fails to understand is, what exactly were the various transit agencies to do? Tell the public "oh gee golly wilikers you are going to have to just be patient and wait for about another 10 years until MAYBE JUST MAYBE then the proposed Downtown Riverside station MIGHT BE OPEN with better parking"

Please, exalted and all knowing one, explain to us little people what should have been done 15-20 years ago that would have been perfect in every way.

Date: 09/23/21 15:46

jst3751:

Thank you for the date that the parking structure was opened and began to be used.

The success of Metrolink’s San Bernardino Line apparently caught everybody off guard, and a parking structure was quickly pursued so patrons could park.  Well and fine, but the tendency is to focus on GETTING Federal dollars into the area’s banking where it will multiply, and an area with such magical money out of thin air benefits even more!  I believe that is what happened and was the overriding objective.

Getting magical money was pursued further, and that resulted in ‘the horse before the cart’ situation.

jst3751, I’m not a god for sure, but there is one way to make an impossibly situation possible!  Federal dollars could be pursued (politicians just love to do that), and if secured, build a new parking facility trackside and right next to the Metrolink Depot stop!  The plan would be to get some government agency to build by the 2011 parking structure in question, and their employees could use it!

It is hoped this reply addresses your thoughts.  Think positively and weed out negativism in your life!  You might even live longer, and wouldn’t that be great?

Date: 09/23/21 16:37
Author: Passfanatic

I would probably not walk between the two stations in San Bernardino as the neighborhood is probably very rough. That's San Bernardino to be honest.

Ridership will probably return to the San Bernardino Line. Remember people don't just ride commuter trains to their 9-5 jobs in the downtown city cores. They might want to use the train to travel for a day of shopping and dining in LA as well as visiting people. I have used the San Bernardino Line plenty of times to visit family friends in Redlands. Last time I did that was in 2017 and I could only be picked up and dropped off at the San Bernardino Santa Fe Depot. Next time I visit our family friends in Redlands will probably be after when Arrow enters revenue service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/21 16:42 by Passfanatic.

Date: 09/23/21 17:35
Author: PHall

The Downtown Station was part of a redevelopment project to try to breathe some life back into downtown San Bernardino.
About the only industry that hasn't left San Bernardino has been the County Government.

Date: 09/23/21 17:55

PHall Wrote:

> About the only industry that hasn't left San
> Bernardino has been the County Government.

ROFLMAO

Date: 09/23/21 20:06
Author: mundo

In the mean time at the Santa Fe Station, is the sign still posted no overnght parking in the open area.?

After the parking garage was built it still remained  Anyone traveling  Amtrak or Metrolink could not part overnight!.

Date: 09/23/21 21:31
Author: PHall

mundo Wrote:
> In the mean time at the Santa Fe Station, is the
> sign still posted no overnght parking in the open
> area.?
>
>  After the parking garage was built it still
> remained  Anyone traveling  Amtrak or Metrolink
> could not part overnight!.

I don't know if you would want to park your vehicle there overnight.
Not-so-good neighborhood and there is zero security at the parking structure.

Date: 09/24/21 06:14

jst3751 Wrote:
> PHall Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > About the only industry that hasn't left San
> > Bernardino has been the County Government.
>
> ROFLMAO

jst3751:

I would stop ‘rolling on the floor laughing,’ because a casual observer that sees HUGE, thriving industries in San Bernardino would say you are making a total fool of yourself.  Take it heart, my friend, take it to heart!  Now, whether rail passengers can get to those industries by feeder bus lines is another story.

Other replies:

Forthcoming in a day or two.

Date: 09/24/21 08:12

ABHoffmann Wrote:
> jst3751 Wrote:
> -----
> > PHall Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >
> > > About the only industry that hasn't left San
> > > Bernardino has been the County Government.
> >
> > ROFLMAO
>
> jst3751:
>  
> I would stop ‘rolling on the floor laughing,’
> because a casual observer that sees HUGE, thriving
> industries in San Bernardino would say you are
> making a total fool of yourself.  Take it heart,
> my friend, take it to heart!  Now, whether rail
> passengers can get to those industries by feeder
> bus lines is another story.
>  
> Other replies:
>  
> Forthcoming in a day or two.
>  

Your arrogance continues.

Date: 09/24/21 09:00

jst3751:

How is pointing out obvious error arrogant?  I appreciate it when someone points out an obvious error I’ve posted so I can correct it.  Are you saying those that point such out are arrogant too and live the life of the Devil?  Come on, jst3751, lighten up, and promote railroad knowledge and enlightenment here at the forums!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/21 09:02 by ABHoffmann.

Date: 09/24/21 09:16

ABHoffmann Wrote:
> jst3751:
>  
> How is pointing out obvious error arrogant?  I
> appreciate it when someone points out an obvious
> error I’ve posted so I can correct it.  Are you
> saying those that point such out are arrogant too
> and live the life of the Devil?  Come on,
> jst3751, lighten up, and promote railroad
> knowledge and enlightenment here at the forums!
>  

Please, for the benefit of all, list the "HUGE thriving industries in San Bernardino"

Date: 09/24/21 09:55

jst3751:

Just drive the I-215 Freeway Devore to downtown San Bernardino.  You’ll see FedEx and others.  A close relative has been in all those big buildings with the authority of a big whip.  Then there is the Stater Bros. market chain main headquarters by San Bernardino International Airport.

Now, how about answering my previous question that I asked, namely, “How is pointing out obvious error arrogant?”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/21 10:02 by ABHoffmann.

Date: 09/24/21 11:00
Author: mundo

I said OPEN area, for overnight, not the garage.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0724 seconds