Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Passenger Trains > Rocky Mountaineer 5-Stars

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 10/13/21 04:16
Rocky Mountaineer 5-Stars
Author: cozephyr

Flew United Express (operated by SkyWest) 11 October 2021 Denver, CO, to Moab, Utah, for only $134 one way-!  This was to reach the Rocky Mountaineer trip that ran from 7-Mile Siding north of Moab, Utah, the afternoon of 11 October.  Only 14 passengers were aboard out United Express CRJ-200 that can seat 50 passengers-!

1- United Express CRJ-200 at Denver International Airport, Denver, Colorado, 11 October 2021.

2- American Airlines jet taxied as our flight taxied to the take-off runway.

3- Rocky Mountaineer trip began on time after smooth check-in at the Hoo Doo Hotel in Moab, Utah, 11 October 2021.  Le Bus took us from downtown Moab to the train at 7-Mile Siding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/21 04:17 by cozephyr.

Date: 10/13/21 04:25
Re: Rocky Mountaineer 5-Stars

4- The 10-car train passed Crescent Junction, Utah, leaving UP's Cane Creek Subdivision 11 October 2021.

5- Passed the uranium tailings dump site at Crescent Junction, Utah, 11 Oct 2021.  Book Cliffs in the distance.

6- Rocky Mountaineer allows vestibule Dutch door access which rated highly on my rail experience trip-!  Stored hopper cars at Utahline Siding on the Colorado side.  11 Oct 2021

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/21 04:27 by cozephyr.

Date: 10/13/21 04:32

7- Colorado River campers in Ruby Canyon enjoyed the pleasant weather before snow and cold arrived the next day.  View from Rocky Mountaineer on UP rails.

8- Rifle Sight Notch in Ruby Canyon -Colorado side- along the Colorado River 11 Octiber 2021.

9- The Rocky Mountaineer crew does an amazing job taking care of their guests.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/21 04:34 by cozephyr.

Date: 10/13/21 04:43

10- Rocky Mountaineer lounge car offers small tables for two.  Lounge car was very popular.  Bathrooms were well thought out and offered handicapped railings which came in handy as train sped across Utah and Colorado.

11- Rocky Mountaineer (train held the main next to the Grand Junction station) met late running Amtrak train 5 at Grand Junction, CO.  The Rocky Mountaineer arrived at Glenwood Springs, CO, at 8:00 PM.  Hotel room keys were given to passengers before they disembarked at Glenwood Springs.  Luggage was already in the guests rooms having been delivered by the Le Bus (es) that arrived ahead of the train.

12- Passengers disembarked onto the well lite Glenwood Springs depot area.  Folks had choice to walk or take a Le Bus to their hotels.  Some folks could just cross the street to the Denver Hotel -!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/21 04:45 by cozephyr.

Date: 10/13/21 05:03
Author: YardLimit

Great report and great pictures!  Thanks!

Date: 10/13/21 05:35
Author: robj

Thanks, gives a real feel for the experience.

Bob

Date: 10/13/21 05:55
Author: Topfuel

Thanks for the report.  Wow, who knew Moab even had an airport.  Looks like there was a decent number of passengers on the train.  What is your take on how they are doing overall as far as ridership goes?  I'm pleasantly surprised they allow vestibule riding with the way things are these days.

Date: 10/13/21 05:59

Rocky Mountaineer took Winter Park Siding, near Moffat Tunnel for 11-car westbound Union Pacific passenger special Tuesday, 12th October 2021. Rocky Mountaineer had 336 passengers on eastbound trip to Denver.

Topfuel Wrote:-------------------------------------------------------
Looks like there was a decent
> number of passengers on the train.  What is your
> take on how they are doing overall as far as
> ridership goes?

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/13/21 06:05
Author: tehachapi-dave

What was the cost for the two day trip?

Date: 10/13/21 07:02
Author: Raja

Very Nice!   I have been waiting to see some interior shots.   Thanks.

Date: 10/13/21 07:30
Author: kennbritt

A friend of mine and her sister took the trip from Denver to Moab as part of a one week tour group. They were very pleased.

Kennard Britton
Bedford, TX

Date: 10/13/21 07:33
Author: jp1822

Thanks for the report and the pictures - exterior and interior! Looks like it was a great trip!

Its still hard for me to believe that Amtrak can't create some sort of premium product (yet still providing a basic utilitarian transportation need) that incorporates some of the RMR "perks." It comes down to service and descent equipment. 

Here's some of Amtrak's premium equipment in my mind:

- Superliner Sightseer Car
- Superliner Sleeper Deluxe All Bedroom Car (only 6 of these cars)
- Superliner Business Class Car (with its leather/pleather seating)
- Amfleet 1/2 business class and 1/2 table seating car
- Viewliner II Diner (with the double row of windows

There could easily be Coach class, Custom/Touring class, Sleeper Class, Sleeper Plus Class. Someone else can think of better terms. VIA Rail Canada has already professed that its Prestige Class has helped bring down the train's losses. RMR has certainly done a pretty steady booking for a train that largely follows the trail of the CA Zephyr. It doesn't require an army of staff either. And God knows Amtrak has plenty of Viewliner II Diners sitting around. The equipment is THERE if Amtrak wants to try and utilize it more effectively.    

Date: 10/13/21 07:47
Author: WAF

Begineer pilots on Sky Worse. First Officers with barely over 750 hours. No thanks, I rather live

Date: 10/13/21 08:36
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!  Where are they getting power for the a/c and heat on the train?

Thanks.

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 10/13/21 09:59
Author: sagehen

We took it in August, Moab to Denver.  Outstanding!  Based on that trip, we've booked a circle trip next June from Vancouver BC to Jasper, via ex-BCR to Jasper and CN back.

Stan Praisewater

Date: 10/13/21 10:15
Author: asheldrake

My experience with RM a couple years ago on that circle trip Stan, goldleaf, was that they have the customer experience NAILED.   absolutely first class all the way, on and off board.  Arlen

Date: 10/13/21 10:17
Author: jcoons

WAF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Begineer pilots on Sky Worse. First Officers with
> barely over 750 hours. No thanks, I rather live

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. 

Date: 10/13/21 10:28
Author: BigSkyBlue

WAF Wrote:
> Begineer pilots on Sky Worse. First Officers with
> barely over 750 hours. No thanks, I rather live

Our captain had the grey hair and crinkle around the eyes of a veteran pilot.  Our flight attendant had 14 years with Skywest, and before that had started with Piedmont and went to USAir before taking a buyout.  While some contract carriers are questionable, Skywest has been around for some time and has plenty of experienced crewmembers.   BSB

Date: 10/13/21 10:43
Author: BigSkyBlue

rgzfan Wrote:
> Were there any othe RM passengers on your flight?

Rocky Mountaineer uses the United Express flights to Moab to position on board staff.   BSB

Date: 10/13/21 11:14
Author: symph1

BigSkyBlue Wrote:
> WAF Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Begineer pilots on Sky Worse. First Officers
> with
> > barely over 750 hours. No thanks, I rather live
>
> Our captain had the grey hair and crinkle around
> the eyes of a veteran pilot.  Our flight
> attendant had 14 years with Skywest, and before
> that had started with Piedmont and went to USAir
> before taking a buyout.  While some contract
> carriers are questionable, Skywest has been around
> for some time and has plenty of experienced
> crewmembers.   BSB
>
Living in Laramie, I fly SkyWest a lot to connect in Denver. I've never had anything but fine experiences with them. 

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0918 seconds