Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Passenger Trains > Big number 5 of the 11th

Date: 01/11/22 14:11
Big number 5 of the 11th
Author: sethamtrak

This train might take the cake for the biggest Amtrak train I've ever seen! Number w/ the Ski Train 5 running 1:45 down into Naperville (1hr 30 or so late out of CUS acct mechanical issues). Heads up those out west. 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/11/22 15:18
Re: Big number 5 of the 11th
Author: dan

the CZ , EB, SWC used to be this big every day,  bigger CZ , when pioneer and wind were apart of it and  when they did mail and express, let's hope you will  see this too !!

Date: 01/11/22 15:34
Author: ProAmtrak

The Zephyr of the 90s was always a monster, 17-18 cars long at times!

Date: 01/11/22 16:53
Author: sethamtrak

ProAmtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Zephyr of the 90s was always a monster, 17-18
> cars long at times!

Wish I was around to see it! I wasn't born until 1999 and didn't start watchimg trains until 2007 or so.

Date: 01/11/22 17:14
Author: ProAmtrak

sethamtrak Wrote:
> ProAmtrak Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Zephyr of the 90s was always a monster,
> 17-18
> > cars long at times!
>
> Wish I was around to see it! I wasn't born until
> 1999 and didn't start watchimg trains until 2007
> or so.

Look at pics and videos in the early 90s, 5 and 6 were monsters!

Date: 01/12/22 02:32
Author: jp1822

Nice consist! Good to see the Ski Train running. 

But Amtrak needs to stop this BS that they don't have Superliner Sightseer Cars or Superliner Trans-Dorm Sleepers. They can find them for trains if they want. Proper planning and positioning, it can happen. Glad the Ski Train has a Superliner Sightseer Lounge in its consist as food service can be a good business for this train to/from the slopes. Even a 37000 Superliner Cross Country Cafe Car would have worked nice (with food service all on the upper floor and still a lounge with tables to sit at). Last week LD consists had Superliner Cross Country Cafe cars subbed for Superliner Sightseer Cars. Not necessary! 

Date: 01/12/22 04:34

Denver Union station isn't laid out for such large trains now,  but with Gardner it isn't an issue  so today they will shove in ditch the ski train delaying 5 a little bit

Date: 01/12/22 06:38
Author: BoilingMan

Looks to me like the first half of the train is deadheading equipment (and probably 2 units to power it). Is the whole thing going to California?
SR

I used to work those huge 5/25/35-6/26/36 trains as the LSA on the second diner (LAX-DEN). The worry for my crew on the diner was a delay into Denver- there was no place for us to sleep if that happened.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/12/22 07:57

Just the bag and back is the cz rest is the ski train up front

Date: 01/13/22 10:44
Author: brc600

The 1990's Zephy/Pioneer/Desert Wind which I rode and saw through Omaha were regularly 22 cars, and, yes, two diners!

dan Wrote:
> the CZ , EB, SWC used to be this big every day, 
> bigger CZ , when pioneer and wind were apart of it
> and  when they did mail and express, let's hope
> you will  see this too !!

Date: 01/13/22 11:00
Author: BoilingMan

The 2nd Diner was from LAX off 35/36 and was added to 5/6 at SLC. It turned in DEN. Therefore, there were 2 Diners between SLC and DEN only. Also, this was a Summer only thing. During the rest of the year the 35/36 Diner turned in SLC.
SR

There was an LSA who had one seniority number on me. She worked a Starlight crew I really liked, but also liked that Denver turn too. So in the Summer I’d jump onto that Starlight crew while she was on The Wind.
But come September, sure enough- she’d be back and bump me off that Starlight crew.
….sigh….

Date: 01/13/22 15:47
Author: brc600

I beg to differ. Actually, there were TWO Diners Chi-Oma-Den. Then, at Denver, that left with the Pioneer cars through Wyoming. So, technically, you did NOT encounter the second diner I am speaking of. The Denver-GJC-SLC crews always told me there was often over 1000 riders west of Denver, especially when all three sections split @ SLC. In 1997, the Pioneer was three days per week, and its consit was the rear of the Zephyr. The trains were 22 cars, regularly. I'd have to pull old consists.

BoilingMan Wrote:
> The 2nd Diner was from LAX off 35/36 and was added
> to 5/6 at SLC. It turned in DEN. Therefore,
> there were 2 Diners between SLC and DEN only.
> Also, this was a Summer only thing. During the
> rest of the year the 35/36 Diner turned in SLC.
> SR
>
> There was an LSA who had one seniority number on
> me. She worked a Starlight crew I really liked,
> but also liked that Denver turn too. So in the
> Summer I’d jump onto that Starlight crew while
> she was on The Wind.
> But come September, sure enough- she’d be back
> and bump me off that Starlight crew.
> ….sigh….

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds