Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Passenger Trains > CN Bridge Work Continues in Chicago

Date: 01/15/22 19:25
CN Bridge Work Continues in Chicago
Author: justalurker66

A quick snapshot of the new bridge being built over what will be the Wells-Wentworth Connector and the rebuild of Metra's 16th St interlocking in Chicago. The new bridge is being built to the left (the long beams spanning the gap).
Amtrak currently uses the track on the right for the City of New Orleans and Carbondale trains (a CN owned line).

Date: 01/15/22 20:27
Re: CN Bridge Work Continues in Chicago
Author: kevink

Thanks for the update. Could you see of they have made any progress on the other bridge that will carry the SCAL tracks over the Wells leg of the project?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/16/22 05:17
Author: cutboy1958

Vert interesting. Does it improve  Amtrak  service/speed??

Date: 01/16/22 05:43

The other Wells-Wentworth bridge has been complete for a long time. Rails were reconnected over the new bridge last year. It just has not been put back into use. I expect that they are waiting for the rebuild of the16th St interlocking.

I didn't notice any changes at Clark St. That bridge is slated to be replaced with a new span 40 ft north of the current track. Metra and the city were out yesterday working in that area but I don't believe it was construction work.

Date: 01/16/22 09:20
Author: kentishtim

Is the bridge in the first picture going to be double track, can you see?

Date: 01/16/22 12:06

kentishtim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the bridge in the first picture going to be double track, can you see?

Eventually the current "jump span" route will be replaced by a second track bridge. The tracks to the east of were rebuilt from double track (historically four tracks) to single track bridges with the provision for a second track to be restored. The same pattern is expected here. The new span will be single track carrying trains, the old path will be removed with abutments ready for a second bridge when needed.

Date: 01/16/22 20:40
Author: inCHI

Thanks for posting that, I didn't realize they got that new span in recently. As you noted, the SCAL portion to the northwest of that new span has been done for a while. I heard third-hand that during the construction they cut through wires or something related to the bridge and that is why it has been out.

I haven't noticed any work on the Clark St. bridge.

Date: 01/17/22 16:48

Hopefully it will not cost too much to get the bridge back in service. Even if there was no damage, leaving such a bridge in one position for years isn't doing it any favors.

Date: 01/19/22 23:44
Author: Seventyfive

Thanks for the update and excellent photos.  How long has the Air Line bridge been in the up position?
I was a Bridgetender there 46 years ago and everything happening around there is of special interest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/22 09:42 by Seventyfive.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0329 seconds