Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Passenger Trains > Schafer to Retire as PTJ Editor

Date: 01/21/22 14:56
Schafer to Retire as PTJ Editor
Author: pt199

http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/3e5706924b99c2e99ef1f023069802e9?s=50&d=identicon&r=GSchafer to Retire as PTJ Editorby csanders429

Mike Schafer has been a leading writer and photographer chronicling passenger trains for decades but he said this week he plans to retire as editor of Passenger Train Journal.
Schafer, who also worked for Kalmbach Publications, the publisher of Trains magazine, will be replaced at PTJ by Keven J. Holland.
White River Productions, which owns PTJ and other railroad-related magazines, said Schafer will continue to write for PTJ.
Aside from serving as editor of PTJ, Schafer has overseen publication of various railroad society magazines produced by White River and assisted with the production of Railfan & Railroad magazine.

He is the author or co-author of several railroad history books, including All Aboard Amtrak, 1971-1991, which was published by the Railpace Company.
The transition from Schafer to Holland as PTJ editor will occur with the third quarter issue.
Holland is currently a PTJ senior editor and has authored or co-authored dozens of magazine articles and more than 20 books.
PTJ was founded in 1968 by Kevin McKinney, who continues to write a column for the magazine.

The magazine was acquired by Pentrex in the 1990s but ceased publication in 1996. It was revived by White River in 2006.
Schafer has served as editor of PTJ twice and held that position since the magazine was revived by White River.
White River said Schafer will continue to be involved with historical society publications “into the foreseeable future. “  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/22 14:57 by pt199.

Date: 01/21/22 15:36
Re: Schafer to Retire as PTJ Editor
Author: Goatboat

Congratulations to Mike - he sent a nice note the first time he selected one of my photos for use in PTJ - during 1983...

Date: 01/22/22 06:10
Author: cutboy1958

Has  always  been great  to see  PTJ in the  mailbox.  Hope  Mike  enjiys  his   xtra  free tme.

Date: 01/22/22 06:22
Author: IC_2024

Congrats to “Schaf” for a job well done, and for motivating me to start writing again, too!
Now, time to kick back at “Zephyr Acres” and enjoy operating sessions on the “I & St L”!

Date: 01/22/22 06:37
Author: Passfanatic

Big congrats to Mike! I'm sure that even after he retires, he will still find a lot of time to railfan.

Date: 01/22/22 07:05
Author: joemvcnj

PTJ combined into "Rail News" for a short time, then it simply fell apart for the next 10 years.

Date: 01/22/22 09:40
Author: DevalDragon

I'm glad to see it make a comeback. Just hope it continues tonl do well.

Date: 01/22/22 11:41
Author: ctillnc

Reading this prompted me to visit the PTJ website. It still shows as one of the Departments "LeisureRail/Ted and Sylvia Blishak". But Sylvia passed away in July 2021 and Ted predeceased her.

Date: 01/23/22 13:42
Author: brc600

Pentrex seemed to wreck everything it touched--typical conglomerate.

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PTJ combined into "Rail News" for a short time,
> then it simply fell apart for the next 10 years.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0699 seconds