Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Passenger Trains > No.7 (26) Delayed at MKE

Date: 01/26/22 17:14
No.7 (26) Delayed at MKE
Author: monaddave

Good info that No. 7 (26) picked a switch at the east end of the depot at Milwaukee, WI this evening. Minor derailment, but probably a long delay. Lead truck on the first SEA coach behind the diner.

There's an Amtrak twitter alert out.
Dave in MT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/22 17:16 by monaddave.

Date: 01/26/22 17:30
Re: No.7 (26) Delayed at MKE
Author: sethamtrak

Engines 48 and 201 up front. 3rd engine (815) got bad ordered right before departure time. 

Date: 01/26/22 19:31
Author: DevalDragon

It was on time leaving Chicago but an hour late in to Milwaukee. At what point was the first mechanical problem found?

Date: 01/26/22 21:07

DevalDragon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was on time leaving Chicago but an hour late in
> to Milwaukee. At what point was the first
> mechanical problem found?

Got hit for dragging equipment at the 72.7 detector but didn't derail until it was inside the Milwaukee station at low speed. Coach behind the diner jumped the tracks. They are doing switchwork at 23:00 to cut the bad order cars out and proceed onward in the next few hours. 

Date: 01/26/22 22:10
Author: GenePoon

monaddave Wrote:
> There's an Amtrak twitter alert out.

Yes, but lacking veracity. 

Amtrak  ̷E̷u̷p̷h̷e̷m̷i̷s̷m̷s̷  Alerts reported a "malfunction with one of the railcars" and an extensive delay "to leave it behind for repairs."

So Amtrak isn't even reporting such an incident as "lost contact with the rail" any more????

Date: 01/26/22 22:24
Author: DevalDragon

"Empire Builder Train 7/27 which departed Chicago (CHI) on 1/26 is still holding at the Milwaukee (MKE) station due to a malfunction with one of the railcars."

Apparently having one truck on the ground is a malfunction not a derailment.

Date: 01/26/22 22:45

Out of Milwaukee 12:40am

Date: 01/27/22 00:08
Author: mp51w

sethamtrak Wrote:
> Out of Milwaukee 12:40am
The North Star EB!

Date: 01/27/22 02:05
Author: jp1822

Good grief! Actually there's been quite a little rash of "debris" hit on the rails with Amtrak trains lately...... I hope they turn this train set at Spokane or it will just lead to cascading late trains again across the High Line!

Oh wait! Amtrak's doing a 5x per week schedule so it won't matter for this train I beleive!

Date: 01/27/22 14:52

DevalDragon Wrote:
> "Empire Builder Train 7/27 which departed Chicago
> (CHI) on 1/26 is still holding at the Milwaukee
> (MKE) station due to a malfunction with one of the
> railcars."
>
> Apparently having one truck on the ground is a
> malfunction not a derailment.

Shades of BAGHDAD BOB!

Date: 01/27/22 22:08

TWO cars were set out at Milwaukee after the Empire Builder 7(26) derailment:  Diner 38028 and Coach 34075.

Date: 01/28/22 15:22
Author: ProAmtrak

That sucks, I take it no. 8's gonna pick it up once things ae squared away with the 2 BO Cars!

Date: 01/28/22 15:33

And I am sure that Amtrak put replacement cars on the Coast Starlight #14 out of LA to bring a diner and coach up to Seattle so as to pass them off to a #8 when this particular train set gets to leave Seattle! LA has some extra Superliners in its Yard out there.....They could also be sent out via the CA Zephyr, and on up to Seattle. The next Empire Builder #8/28 doesn't go out till Saturday, Jan 28th at 4:40 pm (no departures out of Seattle/Portland on Thursday or Friday). 

Date: 01/28/22 19:44
Author: sagehen

Here's the Portland Section of the train that derailed in Milwaukee on Wednesday coming and going at Vancouver.  It's about 8 hours late.  ATK 48 is the power.  It's a real rust-bucket.  The train consists of a lounge, only one coach (no coach-baggage), a sleeper, and a transitional sleeper supposedly to carry the baggage.

Stan Praisewater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/22 19:47 by sagehen.

Date: 01/29/22 02:34

I'd really like to know if there was ANY thought process into choosing which days the Empire Builder would operate and not operate. I am REALLY trying not to go there, but it seems a little malicious to not operate Twin Cities to Chicago (#8/28) on Saturday/Sunday (the weekend). That's PRIME days for the Builder in this region. They are running Chicago to Twin Cities on these days, but not eastbound. Just seems odd. I am trying to keep an open mind as to how these five days a week days were chosen. I am not sure if ANY should have been scheduled for weekends. Even VIA Rail's Ocean when operating six days a week, it didn't operate on Tuesday. Monday through Wednesday are typically the lighter days........I am stopping short though. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds