Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Passenger Trains > AOE Highball Jack London (late!)

Date: 10/18/02 20:57
AOE Highball Jack London (late!)
Author: espeeboy

Just got back from foaming the AOE III along after bumping into fellow foamer Mikey (no surprise since he lives for night and moonlight action). Wouldn\'t call it the best foaming after waiting for 3 hours but the AOE finally made it out of the coach yard to pick up itz "happy" passengers at about 7:30P. Mechanical problems cited on Mikey\'s scanner. Even some guy in charge of the Amtrak Ops came out (from the Amtrak Oakland office at Jack London Square?) and said the train would be coming along any minute after he saw us with cameras. He lied and the train sat in the coach yard fo another 20 or so minutes. Didn\'t really know there was an Amtrak office in that big building along Jack London Square but evidently thaz where the shots are called out to make Am-moves (?)

So here are the semi-blurry pics since I expected a 4:45P daylight street run and left the tripod at home. Darn autumn sunset. Train left OKJ just before 8PM after a good station stop. Itz station stop was delayed due to a northbound empty baretable move blocking the crossover move at CP Strong with UP8805 and a UP RCL (fresh from unstuffing the Oakland Sub?). Nice train but different looking from AOE I and II with various cars in all sorts of paint schemes.

Didn\'t know that was you at OKJ Shed47 but letz see how your pics cames out. Didn\'t know it was you until Mikey said something otherwise I woulda introduced myself. Gonna go get some sleep to make it to Martinez in the morning for Calrailfans foaming day!

More pics in a sec.

-Ryan aka "espeeboy"

on the ex-WP Oakland Sub MP11.2

Date: 10/18/02 21:05
Headed North?
Author: trainhorns

I have not been following this one, is it headed for Seattle?

Date: 10/18/02 21:06
Headed North?
Author: trainhorns

I have not been following this one, is it headed for Seattle?

Date: 10/18/02 21:47
Re: AOE Highball Jack London (late!)
Author: shed47

I, too, spent three hours there and enjoyed watching the sun set and all available light vanish. But knowing Amtrak\'s reputation, I did bring the tripod.

Roster shots are of the diner BCOL1741 "Strathnaver" and full dome "Copper Canyon". Train will overnight in Paso Robles, leaving for another overnight stay in Gaviota at 15:00 tomorrrow.

Sorry guys, won\'t beat such a hasty retreat next time, but it\'s been a 16 hour day.

Date: 10/18/02 21:50
More pics and Headed South

So with the double yellow through "da square" I decided to attempt some pacing night shots. The vehicle I was in is real crappy on the shocks so not the best - I\'d guess about 80% were trash can digishots. I was nice and let a railfan finish his video of the train running by on the street while holding up 4 cars behind me so if that railfan at Broadway is on T.O. hope the night video came out! I hate when autos get in my shot and with video sound the doppler whoosh kinda messes up the affect.

So nice touch with the Silver Solarium on the back! Lotsa color in this train. I love the Los Angeles "laundry car" - this is the first true RPO I have seen besides the HO stuff! A couple more shots to upload and then beddy bye time.

-Ryan aka "espeeboy"

on the ex-WP Oakland Sub MP11.2

Date: 10/18/02 22:39
Last pics and Mikey likes it!

Dupe on the shed47 pic - maybe cuz he was a few feet away? You can see him walking off on the platform to nab passenger car rosters! Loce the low profile of the AOE single level cars with the P42 shamus. Wish I could afford to even take a 30 second whizz on that train (I had to go). Yup, Mikey likes it. Look at him time those exposures like a pro. Getting a bit insane here so off to home. Thaz all g-night.

Date: 10/18/02 23:01
Re: Last pics and Mikey likes it!
Author: Mikey

Hee hee, I guess I got caught foaming. I was wondering if I was in your shots there at the end -- seems that was what you wanted!

Anyway, I don\'t have one of those new-fangled digi-thingies, so none of us get to see my shots for probably a couple weeks at least.

Remember the old adage (useful in the daytime too): Never leave home without a Bogen (or your favorite other brand of tripod)!

Date: 10/19/02 07:08
Re: AOE before you saw it
Author: Drew314

guys,

Thanks for chasing the train and taking snaps. We\'uns that aren\'t close to AOE routings appreciate it.

Drew Howard

Date: 10/19/02 21:59
Author: Trainryder

You mentioned AOE III. There are only TWO (2) AOE trains. AOE I is running a fall folage tour out of Boston (last run departs BOS on Monday). AOE II just started in July or August (I want to say August). My source for this information is a friend who does some work for AOE. Last time I talked to them there was no mention of IF or WHEN an AOE III would be operating and/or scheduled.

I do know from my trip on AOE I in Sept. that there are still some carriages to be completed and added to the second consist - that is the reason for the non-matching cars on the current AOE II.

Date: 10/19/02 22:13
Author: F40PHR231

That\'s correct, what you saw in those photos is of AOE II.

With the recent surge of AOE activity, could this be a new passenger carrier in the works? (Super Chief ran a once a week first class ride, maybe AOE can do monthly on certain routes.... In partnership with cruise lines and such.

Date: 10/20/02 09:29
Author: AMTK157

F40PHR231 wrote:
> With the recent surge of AOE activity, could this be a new
> passenger carrier in the works? (Super Chief ran a once a week
> first class ride, maybe AOE can do monthly on certain
> routes.... In partnership with cruise lines and such.

Where does the money that this train makes go? I assume most of it goes to the equipment (overhauls, repairs, maintenance, etc.), passenger amenities and employees. Since it uses Amtrak units, does Amtrak get a share?

Date: 10/20/02 19:14
oops make that AOE II !!!

My apologies on AOE III - just figured with all the PV cars mixed in and having different cars then the last AOE I saw (AOE I) that this was numeral three. I do know AOE II is in the works so thaz why I got confused.

Date: 10/20/02 19:43
Author: Trainryder

Amtrak is a contractor providing the power for train movement in the United States, therefore they are paid for their service and do not get a % of the bottom line. For the "Autum in New England & Quebec" the power is CN for locomotion and VIA for HEP (at least on the trip I took).

Amtrak is required in the USA since they are the only passenger operator. The train is technically an Amtrak Extra.

Having taken two trips on the AOE in as many years, looking at the equipment, eating the FANTASTIC food, looking at the number of staff members required for each trip. I have yet to figure out how the amount of $$$ paid per person per trip can even cover expenses, let alone make a profit.

Date: 10/20/02 20:01
Author: davidp

I expect AOE operating as an Amtrak special limits host road liability per the original Amtrak enabling legislation - probably the only way to make this type of operation economically feasible. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.062 seconds