Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Passenger Trains > Royal American Shows Carnival Train

Date: 10/18/02 20:08
Royal American Shows Carnival Train
Author: SWChief

I can remember as a kid in the 1960\'s the Royal American Shows Carnival train coming to town. It carried all the rides and attractions on trailers and wagons aboard flatcars, and the living quarters which were old passenger equipment were on the end of the train.

From my understanding this carnival is no longer in business, ending rail travel somewhere in the mid to late 1980\'s. I wonder if any of the old passenger equipment still exists anywhere or has it all been scrapped? I know that the fallen flags website has a few pictures of this train, just wonder if anyone else has any additional pictures
of this colorful train?

Date: 10/18/02 20:59
Re: Royal American Shows Carnival Train
Author: px320

Here\'s what I know.

Fillmore & Western Ry has two former RAS cars. They are:

7 Compartment-2 Drawing Room Sleeper, Pullman, 1913, "Raton"
Assigned to AT&SF Ry California Limited
ex-Royal American Shows #76
Purchased by Short Line Enterprises, Ltd. from Dick Weiner 7/91, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Transfer to Short Line Enterprises, Inc. 1/1/95
Sold to D. A. Wilkinson June 1996.

Cafe Parlor, Pullman, 1928
ex-Richmond Fredericksburg & Potomac "Powhatan"
ex-Royal American Shows Pie Car #56.
Purchased from Dick Weiner 7/91
Transfer to Short Line Enterprises, Inc. 1/1/95
Sold to D. A. Wilkinson along with Fillmore & Western Railway, January 1997.

Illinois Railroad Museum has:

6 Compartment-3 Drawing Room Sleeper, Pullman, 1926, "Glen Alta"
ex-Royal American Shows #81
Purchased by Short Line Enterprises, Ltd. from Dick Weiner 7/91
Sold to Illinois Railway Museum 10/91.

These cars were purchased in connection with preparation for a 1936 era movie project entitled "Night Ride Down". The film was cancelled in pre-production due to creative differences. Would have been one of the greatest RR movies ever.

An author is currently working on a book about Royal American Shows.

Date: 10/18/02 22:41

Thanks px320 for the interesting info, I remember that these cars never appeared to be in the best mechanical shape, however their flashy paint job always looked good, as well as their wagons that rode the flatcars.

Date: 10/19/02 07:32
Author: rbx551985

You might glean some further information by logging onto the Circus Model builders website at http://www.circusmodelbuilders.org/

I don\'t know what they have in the way of Carnivals, but they are related (rail-wise), so try and see what they might offer. Good luck!

Date: 10/19/02 21:43
Author: yardclerk

SWChief,

Is this the passneger cars you are talking about?

I happened to catch this Show Train eastbound on the Rock Island in Oklahoma City in September 1977. I was sitting at a street crossing waiting for the train to pass.

When I saw that it was a circus-type train, I jumped out of my car and took about 8 or 9 pictures as it passed. Mostly got the passenger cars.

If this is what you want, let me know and I\'ll scan them for you.

Jim
Yardclerk

Date: 10/20/02 18:03

Yes Jim, that is exactly the train you photographed! From what I can remember this carnival traveled all over the Midwest from Minnesota, down through Kansas, then to Oklahoma, and went on to play at the Texas State Fair in Dallas.

That would be great to get a scan of your remaining pics.

Thanks, Larry (SWChief)

Date: 10/20/02 18:37
Author: yardclerk

SWChief,

Please send me your e-mail address and I\'ll get these pics scanned for you.

My address is yardclerk@yahoo.com.

Jim
Yardclerk

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds