Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Passenger Trains > Metra vs. Box Truck Clarendon Hills

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/11/22 07:51
Metra vs. Box Truck Clarendon Hills
Author: kevink

An eastbound Metra train struck a box truck in Clarendon Hills this morning. No reports of injuries yet. Truck caught fire in parking lot south of tracks.
https://abc7chicago.com/metra-delays-bensf-trains-bnsf-update-clarendon-hills-train-accident/11837397/

On a side note, this is my home station and my car is in the parking lot. Doesn’t appear to be damaged. I’m more concerned about anyone who may have been riding in that lead Metra car. Nasty looking gash in the side.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/11/22 08:12
Re: Metra vs. Box Truck Clarendon Hills
Author: DevalDragon

Good thing I decided to take the UP West line today!

Date: 05/11/22 08:46

Now reporting one fatality. No indication if it was someone on the track or the train.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/11/22 08:56

Trains starting to move thru Downers at 10:55. Things are starting to open up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/22 09:03 by DevalDragon.

Date: 05/11/22 09:03

That would contradict the email I just got from Metra:
Until further notice all BNSF Railway service is suspended due to a grade crossing accident and ongoing NTSB investigation near Clarendon Hills. Customers should seek alternate transportation.

Email from village stated tracks/crossing closed until 3pm for NTSB investigation.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/11/22 09:41

ABC 7 news now reporting a Metra passenger was killed. Additional minor injuries to passengers and Metra crew.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/11/22 09:42
Author: Peak45068

I was in Emmett’s Brewery, Downers Grove last night. Currently sat behind F40, 151 to Waukegan.

Englishman in America

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/11/22 09:54

kevink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That would contradict the email I just got from
> Metra:
> Until further notice all BNSF Railway service is
> suspended due to a grade crossing accident and
> ongoing NTSB investigation near Clarendon Hills.
> Customers should seek alternate transportation.
>
> Email from village stated tracks/crossing closed
> until 3pm for NTSB investigation.

I'm just reporting what I am seeing live from Main Street in Downers Grove.

Date: 05/11/22 14:00
Author: Cumbresfan

DevalDragon Wrote:
> kevink Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That would contradict the email I just got from
> > Metra:
> > Until further notice all BNSF Railway service
> is
> > suspended due to a grade crossing accident and
> > ongoing NTSB investigation near Clarendon
> Hills.
> > Customers should seek alternate transportation.
> >
> > Email from village stated tracks/crossing
> closed
> > until 3pm for NTSB investigation.
>
> I'm just reporting what I am seeing live from Main
> Street in Downers Grove.

Just checked on the status of #3 and #5 and https://asm.transitdocs.com/ does not show either has left yet. i'm on #3 tomorrow in ABQ so will be checking status.

Edit: At 4:00 pm CDT, on transitdocs, #5 reported delayed due to a mechanical issue and #3 is just reported as delayed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/22 14:07 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 05/11/22 14:09
Author: Dcmcrider

Am-Twitter says train 3(11) is "delayed" and 5(11) is "delayed due to a mechanical issue."

Eyewitnesses says the furniture delivery truck "stalled" on the tracks and the three occupants ran for it. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-metra-fatal-semi-collision-20220511-nwubs5nesjgczpj2bgvqnmitay-story.html

Wednesday’s crash happened at a rail crossing, just past the Clarendon Hills train station, 1 S. Prospect Ave., said Clarendon Hills Fire Chief Brian Leahy.

The truck involved, a box truck about 30-40 feet long, had stalled on the tracks.

A public works director for the village happened to be at the station and spotted the truck having troubles, then realized the train was rounding a bend nearby.

“He saw it coming,” Leahy said of the crash.

The train’s engineer saw it too and began frantically honking its horn.

“It was honking…it could see the truck was there. But that truck wasn’t gonna move,” Leahy said.

At the same time, three people in furniture moving truck “jumped out” and were not hurt and the director hustled commuters and people away from the platform.

“He made sure nobody was near there,” Leahy said. “They all ran.”

The train’s engine was at its rear, so a train car was the first to smash into the truck, flipping it on its side and causing it to burst into flames.“

It took down some of the railroad signal gates and this thing was fully involved in fire,” Leahy said of the truck.

“It exploded – even damaging a few cars in the commuter lot.”

The back end of the director’s pickup was melted but no motorists were injured.

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Date: 05/11/22 17:06

The Metra website shows trains are running in both directions but with delays. The most recent update I've seen for Amtrak is that BOTH #3 and #5 are delayed due to mechanical issues.

Edit: Amtrak just updated #3 - it has departed Chicago and is operating 4 hours late. #5 has departed Chicago and is 4 hrs 45 minutes late

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/22 17:12 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 05/11/22 17:11

As of this post, the Metra train is still parked where it came to rest. I had to wait for my car to be released from the crime scene. As bad as this was, it could have been a LOT worse. I've heard the train will be parked here until investigation wraps up tomorrow. Sobering day indeed. 

Date: 05/11/22 17:18

If that cab car was in the lead, it doesn't show too much damage but I've seen a picture that most damage was to the side of the car.

Date: 05/11/22 17:25

Cumbresfan Wrote:
> If that cab car was in the lead, it doesn't show
> too much damage but I've seen a picture that most
> damage was to the side of the car.

The damage is on the other side of that cab car.

Date: 05/11/22 17:39
Author: dan

something must have ripped a gash or popped thru a window, there was a report that the women ended up outside the train

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/metra-trains-strikes-semi-truck-in-clarendon-hills/amp/?fbclid=IwAR2j3yN4dpYtNXbVm9ToUrVzjyV98TxiesKIds6YmfuWDFKCG2AS_1uzaXw

Date: 05/11/22 17:40

#5 and #3 passed the scene at 7:29 and 7:34 pm CT respectively. Three private  cars on #3. 

Date: 05/12/22 05:58
Author: Plowhandle

dan Wrote:
>  there was a report that the women ended up
> outside the train
>
>

The two fatal incidents prove riding in the cab car when heading Eastbound on ANY METRA line is risking your life.

The cars are not safe when operating at track speed thru too many communities that have MESSES at their downtown crossing areas currently.

Clarendon Hills has been a shitshow for almost a year now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/22 06:06 by Plowhandle.

Date: 05/12/22 07:18
Author: filmteknik

From the WGN TV video.  This is the RIGHT side of the cab car.  Front is to the right.  So much for being safer in the trailing compartment.

The damage is to the trailing compartment, not the lead.  Apparently the truck swung around and impacted the car as shown.  Note also the popped out window on the upper level.  While the damage was mostly on the bottom it will be interesting to learn where the fatality woman was sitting.

There is talk about construction at the site and whether a large steel plate placed on the road was the cause of the truck getting stuck.

Date: 05/12/22 07:19
Author: geeb557

I'm puzzled by how this accident is being handled.  Metra has had plenty of fatal accidents, why is this one receiving the investigation it is?  Not being allowed to move the train. not being able to stop in Clarendon HIlls.  Metra is on a modified Saturday schedule today.  I"m not complaining about the investigation, just trying to understand why this one is different.

Date: 05/12/22 07:37

The train was moved back in to the station and is blocking the platform at Clarendon Hills which is why Metra trains have to bypass the station. It appears that the NTSB has taken over the investigation which means it will take longer than normal.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0765 seconds