Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Passenger Trains > Well Done DC Metro...well done!

Date: 05/16/22 04:11
Well Done DC Metro...well done!
Author: mp208

With 50% of its fleet out of service for nine months due to "loose wheels"' METRO has suddenly "discovered" 50% of its operators have certifications that have LAPSED. Service has been reduced accordingly.
Leaderless and adrift!!

Posted from Android

Date: 05/16/22 05:08
Re: Well Done DC Metro...well done!
Author: SDGreg

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/Rail-Operator-recertification-lapse.cfm?fbclid=IwAR3Th_rVSWr4mW_kEkZsUUYfVyGQXzNf6RbYyhqfP45vdZ2MK-quna6DZ2Y

"Metro’s Chief Safety Officer reports that nearly half of Metro’s 500 rail operators have lapsed recertification, which includes classroom instruction, and supervised testing in the rail yards as well as on the mainline."

"In consultation with the Board of Directors, Metro management is taking immediate corrective action to remove from service 72 train operators who became out of compliance prior to May 2021. This will result in a temporary reduction in Green and Yellow line service from every 15 minutes to every 20 minutes due to an operator shortage. In addition, extra trains to relieve crowding, support special events, or replace out-of-service trains may not be available. Service impacts are expected to continue until the end of May."

"Recertification is important because it gives every train operator time to refresh on the rules, reinforce their knowledge, and benefit from evaluation. Also, it’s vital that Metro management complies with policies they established to ensure safety for the traveling public. The process to recertify more than 250 rail operators will take an estimated two to three months."

Date: 05/16/22 06:01
Author: Lackawanna484

Nobody keeps track of this stuff? What's wrong with these people???

In my former life, each company had a person / department whose principal responsibility was to notify you that your securities / insurance etc licenses were about to expire, and you needed x amount of continuing credits to renew. If you didn't, they couldn't pay you. And you could potentially be in criminal violation if you didn't renew, and you sold or serviced a product. I was registered federal plus 32 states, so there was lots of paperwork for me alone.

My brother in law was a plumber,and he had to renew his license annually. 

Date: 05/16/22 06:04
Author: Dcmcrider

Look on the bright side. At least this time they acknowledged the issue and took action. ​Unlike so many times in the past where management covered up deficiencies, some of which had fatal consequences for the passengers and employees.

The out-of-gauge wheels problem with the 7000s festered until it caused a derailment.

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/22 06:42 by Dcmcrider.

Date: 05/16/22 06:39
Author: NormSchultze

The good news is that the lack of re-certification caused no accidents.  Thus recertifcation is usefull, but at bottom a paperwork problem that can be easily remedied.   

Date: 05/16/22 07:18
Author: robj

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nobody keeps track of this stuff? What's wrong
> with these people???
>
> In my former life, each company had a person /
> department whose principal responsibility was to
> notify you that your securities / insurance etc
> licenses were about to expire, and you needed x
> amount of continuing credits to renew. If you
> didn't, they couldn't pay you. And you could
> potentially be in criminal violation if you didn't
> renew, and you sold or serviced a product. I was
> registered federal plus 32 states, so there was
> lots of paperwork for me alone.
>
> My brother in law was a plumber,and he had to
> renew his license annually. 

Possibly covid realted?   Classes suspended I would guess or some were on layoff.  But they have been operating this long and someone just decided to check on this.

Bob

Date: 05/16/22 09:10
Author: MEKoch

Remember this is DC and WMATA is an employment agency first and transportation of people is second

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/16/22 12:13
Author: DevalDragon

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nobody keeps track of this stuff? What's wrong
> with these people???

This is what happens when you put unqualified friends in key jobs instead of qualified people.

WMATA is chock-full of people like this.

Date: 05/16/22 15:44
Author: gbmott

Also, the FTA operates very differently from the FRA.  It is essentially a transit cheerleader with nothing like the regulatory and enforcement role of the FRA.  For WMATA it is largely a case of the fox guarding the hen house.  Paul Wiedefeld, the GM, is leaving soon.  I think he has really tried and has made some headway, but the hole they are in is simply too deep.  

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/22 15:44 by gbmott.

Date: 05/16/22 15:58
Author: fooshie

Well, as somebody who rides the Metro to work every day, I'm just glad this doesn't affect the Blue Line.

The DC Metro's service is a national embarrassment.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0722 seconds