Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Passenger Trains > Meow! Bark! On Surfliners

Date: 05/18/22 15:31
Meow! Bark! On Surfliners
Author: GenePoon

Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Trains to commence carry-on pet program

CENTRAL COAST, Calif.- Dog and cat lovers alike can rejoice now that a new carry-on pet program will be available on Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Trains.

Beginning May 20th, Amtrak passengers will be allowed to bring their furry companions for $26 or 800 Amtrak Guest Reward points as long as they weigh 20 pounds or less and are secured in a carrier underneath the seat.  "Allowing pets to come along for the ride is something customers have expressed a strong interest in," said Jason Jewell, the Interim Managing Director of the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency.

Each customer is entitled to 1 pet reservation per trip as long as they confirm pet eligibility through the Pet Release and Indemnification Agreement. Service animals will continue to be brought on board at no additional cost.  This will be available across the coast since the Pacific Surfliner covers 351 miles of terrain, which includes the counties of Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego.

https://keyt.com/news/santa-barbara-s-county/2022/05/17/amtrak-pacific-surfliner-trains-to-commence-carry-on-pet-program/

Note that pet policy on the Surfliners has been governed not by Amtrak, but by the regional commuter agency LOSSAN, for which Amtrak operates the Surfliners as a contractor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/22 15:37 by GenePoon.

Date: 05/18/22 19:35
Re: Meow! Bark! On Surfliners
Author: ProAmtrak

That's cool

Posted from Android

Date: 05/19/22 05:56
Author: howeld

Unpopular opinion: leave the pets at home. It is getting ridiculous. I don’t want to travel, shop, or eat next to your dog, cat, turkey ect.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/19/22 11:16
Author: tq-07fan

Cute Cat! 

Jim

Date: 05/19/22 11:38
Author: CPMorris

"Service  Animals"  are bad enough, but now a "pet shop" on wheels!
Complaints will soon follow. Let's see how long this new policy lasts -
probably shorter than Nina Jankowicz as DHS "Disinformation Czar."

Also, what about passengers will allergies?

Date: 05/19/22 13:51
Author: anthracite

CPMorris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, what about passengers will allergies?

Seconded. I'm sure I'm not the only person with near-crippling lifelong respiratory allergies who thinks this idea is nuts. Sure hope it doesn't become the next big fad across the whole system. Good luck, California.

Date: 05/20/22 11:42
Author: BoilingMan

It’s cool how much stuff you can complain about as a railfan!
SR

These are like the golden years!

Date: 05/21/22 07:23
Author: GenePoon

anthracite Wrote:

> Sure hope it doesn't
> become the next big fad across the whole system.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?

Pets on board IS across the entire Amtrak system where Amtrak sets policy, except Auto Train. Other than that, only where a few operating authorities in two states do not yet allow them, are pets not allowed on the trains.

"...not available on Auto Train, Keystone Service, Pennsylvanian, San Joaquins, Capitol Corridor or Thruway Connecting Services..." -amtrak.com

As for properly qualified service animals, neither Amtrak nor the states have any say in the matter. They must be provided for under Federal law.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/22 07:26 by GenePoon.

Date: 05/21/22 16:04
Author: anthracite

GenePoon Wrote:
> anthracite Wrote:
>
> > Sure hope it doesn't
> > become the next big fad across the whole
> system.
>
> WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?

When I'm not in my car, I'm reading forums with a more favorable signal-to-noise ratio. Thanks for your expression of interest.

Date: 05/23/22 06:42
Author: rbenko

BoilingMan Wrote:
> It’s cool how much stuff you can complain about
> as a railfan!
> SR

Brevity is the soul of wit - totally on point, and very amusing!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds