Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Passenger Trains > Trans-border service returns

Date: 06/20/22 06:50
Trans-border service returns
Author: RevRandy

On Monday, June 27, #63 will finally cross the border at Niagara Falls,NY, and proceed from Niagara Falls, ON as VIA train #98 to Toronto.  On June 28, VIA # 7097 will leave TWO to become Amtrak #64 at Niagara Falls, ON, and move on toward NYP.

This is the first (I believe) restoration of service to Canada since the pandemic. 

Date: 06/20/22 06:59
Re: Trans-border service returns
Author: NPRocky

We're still being told December for restoration of service between Seattle and Vancouver, BC, though our senator on the U.S. Senate Transportation Committee, Maria Cantwell (D WA), and the Washington and Oregon departments of transportation have complained bitterly about the long delay and there are rumors that we might end up doing better than that.  It sounds like Seattle has greater crew base shortages than any other Amtrak base in the country.  We have less local service restored than anyone else that I know of.

Date: 06/20/22 07:19
Author: MEKoch

Is Canada absolutely sure that U.S. citizens will not bring strange diseases into their  country??

Date: 06/20/22 08:11
Author: P

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Canada absolutely sure that U.S. citizens will
> not bring strange diseases into their  country??

Lol

Posted from Android

Date: 06/20/22 08:13

All I know is that planes and buses have been going back across the U.S. Canada border between Seattle and Vancouver BC for months now, though probably still with reduced schedules due to their own crew shortages.

Date: 06/20/22 09:55
Author: Passfanatic

It's great that the Maple Leaf train will finally live up to its name again very soon. It's certain progress to hear that Amtrak cross border service will be resuming very soon. That's already 1/3 of the game.

Date: 06/20/22 13:52
Author: ProAmtrak

Get the Adirondack and the 2 sets in the Cascades and things'll be normal again!

Posted from Android

Date: 06/20/22 14:14
Author: cabsignaldrop

Hope the Adirondack will be restored. It seems to have a much higher number of people actually crossing the border, often 100 to 200 depending on the day of the week and time of year.

The Maple Leaf on the other hand often has well under a busload.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/20/22 16:42
Author: march_hare

Great news for me. 

Wife and I just bought a Toronto-Vancouver round trip (double bedroom, aka cabin for two) for November. We were willing to drive to Toronto if necessary, but this means we can go out of Albany instead. 

Two nice layover nights at the Royal York will just make it nicer. 

Date: 06/20/22 18:28
Author: Passfanatic

Next March, it's possible that I might be riding the westbound Canadian with a couple of friends from Toronto to Vancouver. I would consider taking the Maple Leaf westbound to Toronto but I'm thinking about the possibility of flying to Montreal and meeting up with my friends there so that way we can ride the brand new Siemens trainset on the VIA Corridor.

Date: 06/21/22 08:45

That trainset isn't in service yet, is it? I heard it was supposed to be testing until this fall.

Date: 06/21/22 08:46
Author: march_hare

Hmm, hadn't thought about the Siemens stuff. Maybe if they restore the Adirondack by then....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/22 17:33 by march_hare.

Date: 06/22/22 10:18
Author: DrawingroomA

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MEKoch Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is Canada absolutely sure that U.S. citizens
> will
> > not bring strange diseases into their 
> country??
>
>
> Lol

One thing to note: proof of vaccination requirements have not changed, according to information on Transport Canada.  

Date: 06/25/22 12:12
Author: NiagaraMike

Any idea the time it 97/98 hits the Border at Niagara Falls???

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds