Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Passenger Trains > 65/66/67 returning

Date: 06/22/22 06:44
65/66/67 returning
Author: lordsigma

65/66/67 are returning July 11/12 but it will be without a sleeper and baggage due to changes in the Virginia corridor service. 66 will now be a northbound out of Roanoke and will turn from 151. 65/67 will continue to operate to Newport News but will turn as 124 the following day on weekends and 186 on weekdays.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/22 06:48 by lordsigma.

Date: 06/22/22 06:57
Re: 65/66/67 returning
Author: joemvcnj

That sleeper did quite a good business north of DC, but this shows they have no intention of bringing it back, unless they cut and add the car at Washington. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/22 06:59 by joemvcnj.

Date: 06/22/22 09:44
Author: lordsigma

Arrow actually does show baggage between Boston and DC in Arrow so maybe they are going to cut out/add the baggage at Washington. We’ll have to wait and see. Though I have seen on Facebook no baggage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/22 09:47 by lordsigma.

Date: 06/22/22 10:01
Author: twropr

lordsigma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Arrow actually does show baggage between Boston
> and DC in Arrow so maybe they are going to cut
> out/add the baggage at Washington. We’ll have to
> wait and see. Though I have seen on Facebook no
> baggage.
I checked with Amtrak and was told "no baggage nor sleeper"; however, it is possible the sleeper will return next year.
Andy

Date: 06/22/22 10:27
Author: BRAtkinson

WOW!  That got me to thinking about my own trip on the Cardinal from WAS on the 13th.  I'm taking Amtrak the morning of the 12th to WAS and then spending a night in a hotel close to a Silver Line WMATA station. 

If they restored the sleeper, I'd switch my reservation in a heartbeat and cancel the hotel reservation.  Unfortunately, it has to be 'no bed, no #66' for me.

Date: 06/22/22 10:39
Author: joemvcnj

If they had a lights out, Amfleet-2, quiet coach, it could be a good substitute, and does not require extra staff. Swap one off the Maple Leaf. It doesn't need 3 of them. Less than a bus load head into Canada. Albany - Buffalo needs more coach capacity anyway. 

Business class 2+1 seating still has a tight seat pitch and near a noisy snack bar. But lights on, blathering PA system every stop all night in a 72 seat coach like it is broad daylight, forget it. 

Shows Amtrak's inattentiveness to detail. Nothing new. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/22 10:40 by joemvcnj.

Date: 06/22/22 11:16
Author: DavidP

joemvcnj Wrote:
> If they had a lights out, Amfleet-2, quiet coach,
> it could be a good substitute, and does not
> require extra staff. Swap one off the Maple Leaf.
> It doesn't need 3 of them. Less than a bus load
> head into Canada. Albany - Buffalo needs more
> coach capacity anyway. 
>
> Business class 2+1 seating still has a tight seat
> pitch and near a noisy snack bar. But lights on,
> blathering PA system every stop all night in a 72
> seat coach like it is broad daylight, forget
> it. 
>
> Shows Amtrak's inattentiveness to detail. Nothing
> new. 

When I last rode 67 in 2018 it had an Amfleet II just ahead of the business class car/cafe.  We had biz class tickets but took the Amfleet II seats instead as they're more comfortable.

Dave

Date: 06/22/22 20:02

DavidP Wrote:
> When I last rode 67 in 2018 it had an Amfleet II just ahead of the business class car/cafe.  We had biz class tickets but took the Amfleet II
> seats instead as they're more comfortable.
>
> Dave
That must have been to 'make up for' the AM I Business Class car masquerading as an AM II LD coach on 448 that I had to endure for a couple hours Springfield MA to Albany about the same time.  I'm guessing the AM II coach from 448/449 went to Sunnyside for repairs and BOS grabbed an AM 1 NEC BC car in its place.  Besides 2" less legroom than the AM 2 coach, the lack of flip up leg rests from under the seat must have made a bunch of overnight passengers less than happy about their trip.

Date: 06/22/22 20:09
Author: alan2955

BRAtkinson Wrote:
> WOW!  That got me to thinking about my own trip
> on the Cardinal from WAS on the 13th.  I'm taking
> Amtrak the morning of the 12th to WAS and then
> spending a night in a hotel close to a Silver Line
> WMATA station. 
>
> If they restored the sleeper, I'd switch my
> reservation in a heartbeat and cancel the hotel
> reservation.  Unfortunately, it has to be 'no
> bed, no #66' for me.

I’m taking the Cardinal East in mid October and I would love to be able to use a sleeper from Washington to Boston. It would save me the cost of a night in a hotel, and make me able to connect to the Lakeshore Limited to make a nice circle trip. And I would pay Amtrak a high fare for a roomette on that train because I’d still be saving money versus a hotel plus a train ride. As usual Amtrak is leaving money on the table while they have numerous sleeping cars sitting around earning no money.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/22 20:10 by alan2955.

Date: 06/23/22 20:23

alan2955 Wrote:
> I’m taking the Cardinal East in mid October and I would love to be able to use a sleeper from Washington to Boston. It would save me the cost of
> a night in a hotel, and make me able to connect to the Lakeshore Limited to make a nice circle trip. And I would pay Amtrak a high fare for a roomette
> on that train because I’d still be saving money versus a hotel plus a train ride. As usual Amtrak is leaving money on the table while they have
> numerous sleeping cars sitting around earning no money.
>
I'm doing a circle trip from Springfield MA to WAS, CHI, then back on 48/448.  As I mentioned, if they had restored the sleeper, I'd go for it in a heartbeat to save the cost of a hotel in WAS.  Thankfully, I booked the entire trip on points as sleeper prices have gotten beyond my financial 'pain' levels.

Date: 06/24/22 17:26
Author: ProAmtrak

What's their excuse with not restoring the bag and sleeper on a train that was always popular on overnight travel on the NEC, goes to show how Ammaanagment is, and they'll probably restore 98 and 97 and eleminate something on that come October (if that is still gonna happen that is!)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds