Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak SW Chief short consist loses a passenger

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/23/22 01:30
Amtrak SW Chief short consist loses a passenger
Author: GenePoon

Short consist of the Southwest Chief has caused the loss of a passenger who really wanted to ride:

"So frustrated… We booked a Superliner Bedroom from Los Angeles to Chicago four months ago. One week before departure and Amtrak completely canceled us, saying they took the car that we were supposed to be in off of the train. Something about staffing. All they had left was coach, which we were not about to do. No bedrooms available on any trains immediately before or after ours, either. I’m a lifelong railfan, and big Amtrak supporter. For us, the trip was supposed to be the destination."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/22 01:47 by GenePoon.

Date: 06/23/22 02:03
Re: Amtrak SW Chief short consist loses a passenger
Author: PVSfan

I watched #3 arrive at Raton NM on 5/27/22.  Consist that day was:  2 locomotives, 1 baggage, 2 sleepers,
1 diner. 1 sightseer lounge, and 3 coaches.

Date: 06/23/22 04:20
Author: dcfbalcoS1

At the prices Amtrak is charging for rooms along with apparently no internal control over making schedule and moreso no desire to, there is no way we would ever gamble that much money and expect to arrive on time ( not even within 10 hours ), have acceptable meals, probably not have a clean room or even coach seat, or even be able to return once we got where we were going. Don't even know if we could completely get where we were going either. Why does anyone continue trying ??

Date: 06/23/22 05:11
Author: DavidP

PVSfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I watched #3 arrive at Raton NM on 5/27/22. 
> Consist that day was:  2 locomotives, 1 baggage,
> 2 sleepers,
> 1 diner. 1 sightseer lounge, and 3 coaches.
>  

The first sleeper behind the baggage car is usually a transition-dorm car, which has roomettes, but not bedrooms, for sale.  Hence the lack of a bedroom for the passenger Gene refers to.

Dave

Date: 06/23/22 07:19
Author: skyview

Amtrak is in complete melt down.  Sorry you lost your trip, and dont blame you about coach.  Ive supported Amtrak for since it was formed, but what I see now and the last few years begs the question, whats the point.  Epic amount of money going for incredably poor service and management.

Date: 06/23/22 07:45
Author: robj

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
>             At the prices Amtrak is charging
> for rooms along with apparently no internal
> control over making schedule and moreso no desire
> to, there is no way we would ever gamble that much
> money and expect to arrive on time ( not even
> within 10 hours ), have acceptable meals, probably
> not have a clean room or even coach seat, or even
> be able to return once we got where we were going.
> Don't even know if we could completely get where
> we were going either. Why does anyone continue
> trying ??

Right, you could get left at other end.  I just don't see the 1 weeek notice.   There was some unseen circumstance OR they were just hoping things would work out?
I have done 1 night in coach with dining service, 2nights and s eating out of snack car would be too much,

Bob

Date: 06/23/22 09:17
Author: Mudrock

They did the same thing to Elizabeth and I. We had to be rescheduled to Memorial Day as they told us they did not have a sleeping car crew member . We have been ticketed for May 25th and everything was sold out until then. We did get our Deluxe Bedrom.

Chris

Date: 06/23/22 09:21
Author: dan

i was thinking it was lack of equipment, seems deliberate, before covid

Date: 06/23/22 09:54
Author: DevalDragon

Amtrak didn't loose the passenger if they couldn't accommodate them.

Date: 06/23/22 09:54
Author: AndyBrown

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
>    Why does anyone continue
> trying ??

Some of us REALLY like riding Amtrak.  Even as crappy as they've made it, it can still be enjoyable.  Being priced out of the sleepers is a big disappointment though.

Andy

Date: 06/23/22 10:36
Author: TAW

DevalDragon Wrote:
> Amtrak didn't loose the passenger if they couldn't
> accommodate them.

How so? When the reservation was made, they became passengers. When the reservation was cancelled, they lost passengers.

TAW

Date: 06/23/22 10:49
Author: BRAtkinson

Unfortunately, Amtrak isn't the only carrier that has insufficient staff to run what's needed.  Freight railroads are suffering as well.  Like Amtrak, they made major cuts in T&E crews due to Covid and most have found employment elsewhere.  Meanwhile, new hires refuse to tolerate being on the extra board with no set schedule, or simply want to be home every night.  And those that do 'stick it out', no longer 'value' work as important in their lives, so attendance is spotty. 

From what I've read, the airlines are even worse off, cancelling 100s on weekdays, and even 1000s of flights on weekends.  Airlines, like Amtrak, put in place a rule that only vaccinated employees will be permitted.  The rest were laid off or terminated.  Those still flying claim they are being overworked 'to the legal limits' and are considering other work.  Meanwhile, the FAA or some other government agency now requires 1200 hours (or some unreasonable number) of cockpit experience for new commercial airline pilots, making hiring even more difficult. 

Date: 06/23/22 11:19
Author: Flyer92122

The FAA requires 1500 hours flight time to fly as an airline pilot. That's roughly 2 years experience basically zero to airline pilot in 2 years if someone's semi motivated.  The problem was and still is the $100,000 required for flight training. The military isn't producing pilots like they were in the 90s. Up until recently an airline pilot could expect to make $20,000 a year for their first couple years and below $50,000 until year 5 or so. These are all plus or minus numbers but they are correct. I did it, I lived it and am still doing it. I've flown with junior pilots with less than 2000 hours some are great, the vast majority ok and a few are a handful and headache to babysit. Sometimes it's not skill but maturity level.  The 1500 rule for now works in the US and makes the skies safer. We may see programs like in other counties where pilots are sponsored by airlines from day one, taught in academies run by airlines and get in the cockpit with 500 hours, interesting enough it's still 18 months to 2 years. The big factor is the airlines are paying for most of the training.

The current lack of pilots is due to huge educational expenses upfront and extremely low pay and long hours. Think 16 hour days. Slowly these issues are being resolved but more pilots need to get in the training pipeline.

Date: 06/23/22 12:00
Author: joemvcnj

They played musical sleeping cars at the 11th hour, and there's the result. 
At least give the displaced passengers tossed into coach vouchers to enter the diner as a consolation prize. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/22 13:40 by joemvcnj.

Date: 06/23/22 13:06

TAW Wrote:
> DevalDragon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Amtrak didn't loose the passenger if they
> couldn't
> > accommodate them.
>
> How so? When the reservation was made, they became
> passengers. When the reservation was cancelled,
> they lost passengers.

Technically they are not passengers until they are physically on board the train.

Date: 06/23/22 15:37
Author: texchief1

Sorry  you are goping to miss the trip!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 06/23/22 16:37
Author: RRBMail

skyview Wrote:
> Amtrak is in complete melt down.  Sorry you lost
> your trip, and dont blame you about coach.  Ive
> supported Amtrak for since it was formed, but what
> I see now and the last few years begs the
> question, whats the point.  Epic amount of money
> going for incredably poor service and management.

DITTO!

Date: 06/23/22 18:21
Author: ProAmtrak

dan Wrote:
> i was thinking it was lack of equipment, seems
> deliberate, before covid

That's what some don't see, The downgrades began under Airline Boy, and it seems some people don't view it as such with the shortages, Amtrak hasn't been the same since!

Posted from Android

Date: 06/23/22 18:47

ProAmtrak Wrote:
> dan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > i was thinking it was lack of equipment, seems
> > deliberate, before covid
>
>
> That's what some don't see, The downgrades began
> under Airline Boy, and it seems some people don't
> view it as such with the shortages, Amtrak hasn't
> been the same since!

I wonder why. It's not like we had a global pandemic or something....

Date: 06/23/22 20:55
Author: alan2955

skyview Wrote:
> Amtrak is in complete melt down.  Sorry you lost
> your trip, and dont blame you about coach.  Ive
> supported Amtrak for since it was formed, but what
> I see now and the last few years begs the
> question, whats the point.  Epic amount of money
> going for incredably poor service and management.

Sadly I have to totally agree with you. It’s to the point of why bother. But the Amtrak apologists just keep pretending like everything is OK. That new Kansas City St. Louis Chicago run through train is a complete disaster. Tonight it’s 2 1/2 hours late approaching Chicago. Just another reason to drive next time for most of the people that are suffering on it.

Posted from iPhone

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0687 seconds