Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Passenger Trains > Feds arrest 4 in fraud against Amtrak

Date: 06/24/22 06:42
Feds arrest 4 in fraud against Amtrak
Author: Lackawanna484

NJ.com reports an Amtrak employee in NY, a doctor, acupuncturist, and others have been arrested in a healthcare fraud scheme.

The allegation says that Amtrak employees were recruited and paid to sign multiple undated forms which would then be submitted to healthcare providers.

An undercover investigator was paid $1,000 to sign forms which eventually brought the conspirators about $30,000 per employee for work not done on them.

The acupuncturist is charged with 15 counts, suggesting more people may be involved.

NJ.com offers a few free looks, then sets up a paywall.

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/06/feds-charge-4-people-in-a-multimillion-dollar-amtrak-health-insurance-scam.html

Posted from Android

Date: 06/24/22 07:47
Re: Feds arrest 4 in fraud against Amtrak
Author: GenePoon

It is not the first time this scam has been tried and the perps caught...in nearby New Jersey, even. The full weight of prosecution should be brought upon the perps and the involved Amtrak employees terminated with no chance of return even after serving well-deserved imprisonment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/22 07:54 by GenePoon.

Date: 06/24/22 08:47
Author: milepost180

I retired from a Transportation company that had thousands of employees nationwide.  While I was still working,they did an insurance audit to verify the employees and elgible family.  They found people that had their neighbors on their insurance and many other types of fraud.  I was amazed.  I heard around 6000 employees were found to have violoated their insurance benefits.  It is more widespread than most people think.

Date: 06/24/22 09:58
Author: Heath_Tower

milepost180 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I retired from a Transportation company that had
> thousands of employees nationwide.  While I was
> still working,they did an insurance audit to
> verify the employees and elgible family.  They
> found people that had their neighbors on their
> insurance and many other types of fraud.  I was
> amazed.  I heard around 6000 employees were found
> to have violoated their insurance benefits.  It
> is more widespread than most people think.

One word describes medical/insurance fraud: Rampant.

Similiar situation where I worked with 1000 employees, indivduals were discovered to have brothers, sisters, cousins, uncles, etc. on their insurance.
The Company offered a no-questions-asked policy to remove the ineligible persons on the Medical Plan, with a 90 day window to get this 
accomplished. The majority of the offenders did the right thing, but a few didn't get it done for whatever reason, these employees were fired.

Some people just don't get the message...

Date: 06/24/22 09:58
Author: scraphauler

Insurance fraud is everywhere.  Ambulance chasing lawyers perpetuate it.  I was involved in a chain reaction rear end collision a number of months ago.  An unlicensed and uninsured moron plowed into the back of the car behind me who got shoved into me. No one injured, but substantial damage to the vehicles.  Within 4 hours of the accident, I had attorneys contacting me wanting to represent me.  One of the sleazier ones want me to drop everything and get to his chiropractor to check for injuries I may not know I have.  

It's funny how this stuff goes on day in and day out, yet we only get appalled and indignant when a sacred choo choo is involved.  It's like putting the work Amtrak in the story makes it a much more heinous act.

Date: 06/24/22 10:09
Author: DevalDragon

scraphauler Wrote:
> Insurance fraud is everywhere.  Ambulance chasing
> lawyers perpetuate it.  I was involved in a chain
> reaction rear end collision a number of months
> ago.  An unlicensed and uninsured moron plowed
> into the back of the car behind me who got shoved
> into me. No one injured, but substantial damage to
> the vehicles.  Within 4 hours of the accident, I
> had attorneys contacting me wanting to represent
> me.  One of the sleazier ones want me to drop
> everything and get to his chiropractor to check
> for injuries I may not know I have.  
>
> It's funny how this stuff goes on day in and day
> out, yet we only get appalled and indignant when a
> sacred choo choo is involved.  It's like putting
> the work Amtrak in the story makes it a much more
> heinous act.

Probably because this is a railroad discussion board and members are respectful enough not to discuss car accident fraud which would be off topic.

Date: 06/24/22 10:13
Author: GenePoon

It should be a heinous crime no matter who is involved and all..
"clients" and ambulance-chasing lawyers alike, should be prosecuted. But with the majority of legislators and virtually all judges coming from being lawyers, that will never happen. Sleazeballs look after their own.

Date: 06/24/22 10:24
Author: amtrakbill

Only in Dirty Jersey!

Date: 06/24/22 11:58
Author: Lackawanna484

amtrakbill Wrote:
> Only in Dirty Jersey!

Fuhgeddabowdit

There was a much bigger scandal a few years ago with the Long Island Rail Road. About 97% of employees were retiring with disabilities, entitling them to larger payouts. A few doctors were in on the game. And a  union official. and Railroad Retirement staff.

When the dust cleared, the total take was about one billion dollars from Railroad Retirement, and eleven people in prison. Most employees agreed to settlements allowing them to pay back their ill gotten gains over decades. LIRR established a disability fraud inspector which has apparently resolved the railroad's end of the issue.

About a year later there was another uproar as employees were found to be running their own scrap metal sales business. Not all the stuff was used...

Date: 06/24/22 12:18
Author: PHall

amtrakbill Wrote:
> Only in Dirty Jersey!

Nope, this has happened in many other areas too. Greed lives everywhere.

Date: 06/24/22 20:07
Author: MaryMcPherson

rantoul Wrote:
> FBI publishes a real time list....a couple of
> weeks June 2022...open link, scroll to bottom...
>
> Health Care Fraud FBI

I would hope the fraud list mentions the insurance industry as a whole...

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0714 seconds