Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Passenger Trains > Meet me at Andesite, Starlight

Date: 08/03/22 09:57
Meet me at Andesite, Starlight
Author: Goatboat

The Coast Starlights are meeting in the shadow of Mount Shasta now at Andesite siding in Siskiyou County. Southbound train 11 sat in Klamath Falls for nine hours last night, departing this morning at 7:30.  Northbound train 14 was parked at Sacramento for two and a half hours.  Amtrak Alerts attributed the delays to "weather issues."  Can anyone in NorCal elaborate on what sort of an issue this might have been?

Date: 08/03/22 10:07
Re: Meet me at Andesite, Starlight
Author: sphogger

Washout near Andesite.  

sphogger

Date: 08/03/22 10:16
Author: photobob

I believe Whitney Creek turned into a flash flood with runoff from Mt Shasta.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 08/03/22 10:26
Author: Goatboat

photobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe Whitney Creek turned into a flash flood
> with runoff from Mt Shasta.

I remember when that happened in 1997.  The debris closed US 97 for a while.

Date: 08/03/22 10:53
Author: TCnR

Agree with most of that, apparently there was a washout at Andesite, also some Flash Flood warnings went out for other MP's. The news folks say 97 is open again, they had mud and debris flows at Whitney Creek but also around the summit burn areas, closures, CalTrans cleanup and open, repeat, etc. No longer tracked on CHP website.

Apparently they held trains in Dunsmuir last night, the Z went past but I don't know how far it went. Lots of Radio chatter with Amtrak this morning.

Should have been good news for the McKinney Fire as well. The thunder, lightning and rain was quite a show in Dunsmuir. There was a forecast for rain but this was big time.

+ the trails in the Andesite area probably took a hit as well. I was at Dry Canyon yesterday and noticed a lot of recent significant washouts and that was before the storm. Heard thunder and saw the washouts, did the math and scooted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/22 10:55 by TCnR.

Date: 08/03/22 11:44
Author: TCnR

Just left Dunsmuir with an Operation Lifesaver yellow and blue scheme as the second unit.

No doubt buried it so it doesn't get damaged.

Date: 08/03/22 15:55
Author: bkban

Coast Starlight just passed through Yuba City/Marysville on a hot afternoon at almost 10-hours late.  Still has a long way to go.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/04/22 06:49
Author: gonx

Nice video.

Was this video taken at the west end (south) of Berg?

-Lee

Date: 08/04/22 09:34
Author: bkban

Yes, the video was taken at the south end of the Berg siding along Live Oak Boulevard.  

Date: 08/06/22 16:39
Author: ProAmtrak

Cool video, he must've been behind someones block since he wasn't going that fast!

Date: 08/06/22 19:15
Author: donner_dude1

ProAmtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool video, he must've been behind someones block
> since he wasn't going that fast!

Pretty sure there's a speed restriction just beyong this location to cross the Feather River and just beyond that is Binney Junction where they will make a right turn onto the Sac Sub. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds