Home Open Account Help 397 users online

Passenger Trains > Three PV's on CSX at Waycross GA

Date: 08/03/22 13:56
Three PV's on CSX at Waycross GA
Author: boejoe

A CSX GP unit just placed three passenger cars (one stainless sided car with a Southern Pacific letterboard) on the siding by the depot and visible on the railcam.  Anybody have any info as to origin/destination etc?  Have not done a search on T.O. yet but don't recall seeing anything in past day or so.
jb

Date: 08/03/22 18:29
Re: Three PV's on CSX at Waycross GA
Author: scraphauler

Let me guess, the GP was 6025?  What you saw was not PVs - it was CSXT W001-03, the track geometry train.  Consists of CSXT 6025, followed by Southern Pacic sleeper Birch Grove, then CSX baggage car Florence, and TGC 2 bringing up the markers.  The Birch Grove and Florence are the support cars for the track geometry car.  

Birch Grove was purchased back in 2019 or 2020 from The Cincinnati Railway Company in the same transaction that saw the Moonlight Dome go to CSX. The dome was repainted and is now part of the Office Car Train, while the Birch Grove was pressed into geometry train service as is.  Tommorrow, W001-04 is scheduled to rub to Manchester GA

Date: 08/03/22 18:39
Author: boejoe

Thanks so much scraphauler.  At this late date I'm surprised the ESPEE name still appears.  (unless, maintained for "heritage' purposes)
jb

Date: 08/03/22 20:05
Author: scraphauler

I don’t think the SP paint is maintained for any other reason other than it’s simply not a priority to change. Cincinnati Railway was operating the Moonlight Dome in as delivered C&O livery and Birch Grove in its Sunset Limited livery as a paired PV charter set. As the Moonlight Dome was one of a handful of low profile “Stratodomes” built for the C&O then transferred to the B&O, CSX wanted it badly for their executive fleet. Cincinnati didn’t want just a 10/6 sleeper without the dome, so they told CSX they had to buy the Birch Grove too - so they did. Didn’t want it, just had to take it. CSXT has done NOTHING to the car - in fact, it still runs with mark/number of PPCX 800736. I honestly don’t know if they use it as sleeping quarters for the geometry guys or if it’s just an “axle count” car for the train.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/22 20:06 by scraphauler.

Date: 08/05/22 02:11
Author: dan

they would have probaly found a freight car if no one ever used it

Date: 08/05/22 14:25
Author: knoxcola

Per the railcam, CSXT engine 6025 this morning coupled to the cars and then proceeded northwest up the CSX Fitzgerald sub in South Georgia.  Unsure if it was occupied or not.

Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds