Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Passenger Trains > Lancaster, PA Station from the Air

Date: 08/04/22 07:34
Lancaster, PA Station from the Air
Author: bandob

A chance to go flying Tuesday, 8/2, with a pilot friend from here on Trainorders resulted in these photos of the Lancaster, PA station.

B&OBill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/22 07:37 by bandob.

Date: 08/04/22 07:52
Re: Lancaster, PA Station from the Air
Author: widowsihler

Neat. It looks like there's fairly abundant parking, if the lot across the street from the station (and down the street) are OK for passengers. As the truisim has it, if you're in the public transportation business, you're also in the parking business, like it or not. When the (then) Soo line inaugurated Metra service between Antioch, Ill, and Chicago, some carpers pointed out that most of the stations on the Antioch line were ony a few miles from the roughly parallel Milwaukee Distric North line, which is true: but the real point is that, that way, the Antioch service basically doubled the available parking for would-be commuters in that neck of the woods.

Date: 08/04/22 07:57
Author: mbrotzman

Didn't that field across the tracks used to be some kind of industry?

Date: 08/04/22 08:26
Author: amtrakbill

I believe that field across the tracks was an old stockyard at one point.  I see the restaurant that use to sit next to that parking lot is knocked down.  It was a called the Stockyard Inn.  I stand corrected with those more familier to the station.  Great photos!  Reminds me too when a friend who was a pilot flew out of Lancaster during the 3-mile Island panic.  We flew over the cooling tower and I live to tell it today.

Date: 08/04/22 11:19
Author: CPMorris

The stockyard was on the right side or east side of the highway bridge.
The large open space in the upper-left and left-center is the former 
Host Farm Restaurant and motel or hotel. Surprised to see it gone!
Anyway, what a great view - thank you!

Date: 08/04/22 17:25
Author: LakeStL

Nice fodos, Bob.

Date: 08/04/22 18:58
Author: Mgoldman

Nice overview - my frist thought was this could've been Trenton, if they didn't bulldoze
the old station and put up what ironically looks like the facade of Madison Square Garden...

/Mitch

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds