Home Open Account Help 145 users online

Passenger Trains > Silver Star missing a sleeper

Date: 09/19/22 08:43
Silver Star missing a sleeper
Author: scraphauler

An over two hour late train 92, the northbound Silver Star, blasts through Aberdeen NC at 0905 this morning, Monday 9/19/22.  Today's edition is short a sleeper with only 4 in tow..  Train has almost always had 5 coaches and 5 sleepers, with an Amfleet Cafe, Viewliner Diner, and a baggage car to round out a 13 car train set, and it is not uncommon to see a 6th coach.  

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/19/22 09:34
Re: Silver Star missing a sleeper
Author: boejoe

Nice.  Do I guess that the former station is to the left of the scene?
jb

Date: 09/19/22 09:58
Author: scraphauler

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice.  Do I guess that the former station is to
> the left of the scene?
> jb

Yes,  Two tracks in foreground, closest to the street is the base of the ACWR wye track connecting north and south legs, second track is the stub into the Depot that has a A&R Caboose display at the end of it (live track though) .  There is a second A&R caboose across the CSXT mainline in front of the A&R office, also on live track.  Covered hopper on right is background is setting on the switch from base of wye to south leg of wye and is rear car of an empty grain train returning to CSXT from ACWR, waiting on a CSXT crew to take to Hamlet and points beyond.  ACWR has a train 200 tied down on their main about 2 miles to the right waiting for CSXT to depart with the grain train so they can get into the yard to make interchange.  200 is the Candor/Aberdeen turn that handles all the non unit train business.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/22 10:02 by scraphauler.

Date: 09/19/22 10:34
Author: sethamtrak

Southwest chief is down one coach, and the Zephyr is down one sleeper. 

Date: 09/19/22 14:46
Author: jp1822

Seems to me that I've seen the Silver Star with just four sleepers for a few weeks now, down from the five as mentioned. Not sure if this was a post-Labor Day move or not. Removing a sleeper and not adding it somewhere else, or not adding an "attendant" position somewhere else on the Eastern LD trains, is counter productive. It could bump employees to becoming non-employees of Amtrak.........just saying! It's been rumored that the Silver Meteor is NOT coming back online with three sleepers, but rather just two sleepers. Thus, two sleepers for the Silver Star and only two sleepers (as opposed to three) for the Silver Meteor. Is Amtrak parking more Viewliner I sleepers in Hialeah with the other Viewliner sleepers as their routine maintenance clock comes due??? Not seeing too many Amfleet I's from the NEC parked.....

Date: 09/19/22 15:32
Author: jeff56

It's been 4 sleepers for a month. or anytime I watch it go by. Nice video, love to see smoke puffing from the engines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/22 15:33 by jeff56.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds