Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Passenger Trains > Caltrain’s Evening Peak in Belmont

Date: 09/19/22 17:13
Caltrain’s Evening Peak in Belmont
Author: broken_link

During the morning and evening rush hour commutes, Caltrain will run four northbound and four southbound trains per hour. These are a mix of Local, Limited, and “Baby Bullet” trains. After dropping my daughter at her dance class in San Carlos on the evening of Tuesday, September 13, 2022, I headed to the Belmont Caltrain Station to see what I could catch during the 55 minute window of her class. Caltrain didn’t disappoint, as I managed six trains in 42 minutes between 6:09 and 6:51. The lighting wasn’t ideal, as I would have preferred that the sun was lower behind the Santa Cruz Mountains or below the horizon, but as part of my quest to photograph Caltrain’s diesel fleet before they’re gone I fired away.

Photo 1: JPBX 906 “Burlingame” shoves train 311 northbound

Photo 2: Fifteen minutes later JPBX 907 “Mountain View” is pushing northbound train 413

Photo 3: Train 413 was barely out of earshot when southbound train 128 came into view running a minute or two behind schedule with JPBX 915 “South San Francisco” in the lead

Continued…

Date: 09/19/22 17:15
Caltrain’s Evening Peak in Belmont

Photo 4: Not looking like much of a bullet train, southbound “Baby Bullet” train 712 highballs Belmont with JPBX 900 “San Francisco” on point

Photo 5: Train 711 is train 712’s northbound counterpart, seen here highballing past Belmont two minutes later with JPBX 922 “Tamien” giving it a push

Photo 6: I stuck around for one more. Northbound local train 129 with JPBX 902 “San Mateo” as motive power was running a few minutes behind schedule but the lighting conditions were more to my liking. This train departed San Jose four minutes prior to train 711, but 711 passed it on the four track main near Lawrence Station.

Cheers,
Sean

Date: 09/19/22 17:38
Re: Caltrain’s Evening Peak in Belmont
Author: Peak45068

Great pictures!

I visited in January this year for nearly a week. My quest was to try and ride behind all of Caltrains engines.

I missed out on a few of the F40’s. 905 was sat coupled to an East Coast Toaster, and 910 was sat all week on the far side platform in Frisco station on a rake of coaching stock.

I didn’t even see the 902, so I was pleased to see your picture of it, now knowing it’s still in service.

After the holiday season and in the early New Year, I’ll make one more trip over to see if I can ride the few I still need for haulage.

Englishman in America

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/19/22 19:10
Author: atsf121

Peak45068 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> all week on the far side platform in Frisco
> Englishman in America
>

Careful peak, "Frisco" is fighting words for some folks in the Bay Area!  :)

Nathan

Date: 09/19/22 19:11
Author: atsf121

Nice photos broken_link.  Some of those F40s are looking a little rough around the edges.  But then again, I think they were rebuilt when I first started working in The City more than 20 years ago.

Nathan

Date: 09/19/22 19:36

Thank you. Hopefully you caught 919 the "County of Santa Clara," as that unit was involved in a collision with maintenance of way equipment and subsequent fire back in March. I'm not sure if this unit is or will be put back in service.

Sean

Peak45068 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great pictures!
>
> I visited in January this year for nearly a week.
> My quest was to try and ride behind all of
> Caltrains engines.
>
> I missed out on a few of the F40’s. 905 was sat
> coupled to an East Coast Toaster, and 910 was sat
> all week on the far side platform in Frisco
> station on a rake of coaching stock.
>
> I didn’t even see the 902, so I was pleased to
> see your picture of it, now knowing it’s still
> in service.
>
> After the holiday season and in the early New
> Year, I’ll make one more trip over to see if I
> can ride the few I still need for haulage.
>
> Englishman in America
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/20/22 09:13
Author: PasadenaSub

Great group of photos from Belmont station.  Here's one to complement your recent photos from nearby San Carlos.  On Friday, Sep. 2 my wife and I were dining at El Charrito Taqueria (on the corner of El Camino Real and Holly Street) and I snapped this southbound from the patio of 906 'Burlingame' leading a southbound into the San Carlos station.  A nice restaurant to watch trains out the window or from the patio.

Rich

Date: 09/20/22 14:59
Author: texchief1

Great shots!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds