Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak hauling...SUGAR??????!!!!!!!!!

Date: 09/23/22 01:11
Amtrak hauling...SUGAR??????!!!!!!!!!
Author: GenePoon

Amtrak train derailment shuts down tracks in Jackson County
  • Published: Sep. 22, 2022, 10:43 a.m.
  • Advance Local Media
    By
GRASS LAKE, MI -- An Amtrak train car hauling sugar was derailed while passing through Grass Lake Wednesday night, though the incident did not cause a hazmat issue, police said. 

Jackson County Sheriff’s Office and Grass Lake Township Fire and Rescue crews responded to the derailment at about 9:31 p.m. Sept. 21, in the area of North Lake Street and Michigan Avenue in the village of Grass Lake, police said.  A single car of a westbound train had become detached and was off the tracks when emergency crews arrived. The was no spillage reported from the derailed car, police said, adding that the still-upright car did not present a hazmat emergency.  

No injuries were reported, Jackson County Undersheriff Chris Simpson said.  The derailment is still under investigation as of Thursday morning, Sept. 22, and it is unknown when the rail line will reopen. Amtrak was notified and immediately responded to the scene to begin accessing damage to the track, police said.

https://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/2022/09/amtrak-train-derailment-shuts-down-tracks-in-jackson-county.html

Date: 09/23/22 03:55
Re: Amtrak hauling...SUGAR??????!!!!!!!!!
Author: engineerinvirginia

Could this be one of Amtrak owned lines in the Detroit area with freight services provided by whomever? I reckon it's whomever whose sugar went into a cornfield...but of course a TV station would have no clue about that!

Date: 09/23/22 04:36
Author: jp1822

engineerinvirginia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could this be one of Amtrak owned lines in the
> Detroit area with freight services provided by
> whomever? I reckon it's whomever whose sugar went
> into a cornfield...but of course a TV station
> would have no clue about that!

I thought the same thing and think you may be right!

Date: 09/23/22 06:15
Author: Genesis803

Her name was Sugar and she was the only passenger on the train when it derailed. Therefore, an Amtrak train hauling Sugar derailed. :-)

Date: 09/23/22 06:45
Author: RevRandy

I am thinking it is a local freight (Amtrak tracks, carrier unknown) probably making a sugar delivery to Chelsea Milling (home of "Jiffy" mixes - yum!) in Chelsea.  

Date: 09/23/22 07:05
Author: sf1010

...or maybe just a reporter who knows almost nothing about railroads, and thinks every train is Amtrak.

Date: 09/23/22 07:42
Author: dan

It was my sugar momma  coming to visit!....or was it Tony the Tigers sugar going to Battle Creek ? for our frosted flakes?

Date: 09/23/22 07:47
Author: randgust

And the award for Topic Drift for 2022 goes to......

Date: 09/23/22 09:40
Author: pennsy3750

There was probably sugar in the cafe car, next to the coffee pot; so maybe the headline's actually accurate?  ;)

Date: 09/23/22 17:42
It was a Norfolk Southern train
Author: toledopatch

The derailment involved NS freight train B25, the Jackson-Wayne turn. On its way back to Jackson, a journal burned off and one car derailed.

I suspect all of the information in the story came from the sheriff's office and they didn't know who the freight operator was, either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/22 17:43 by toledopatch.

Date: 09/23/22 18:14
Author: swaool

There are a bunch of former Amtrak "material handling cars" now in the CMHX 71000 series which are indeed assigned to hauling sugar out of Florida.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3525527

mike woodruff
spokane 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds