Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Passenger Trains > NJ: State plans update to New Brunswick NEC station

Date: 09/24/22 14:20
NJ: State plans update to New Brunswick NEC station
Author: Lackawanna484

Governor Phil Murphy announced plans to update and modernize the New Brunswick Amtrak station used by Amtrak and NJ Transit, as well a number of local and intercity bus lines.  Amtrak had previously invested funds in the station during 2019. The station is located adjacent to the Rutgers University main campus, the world headquarters of Johnson & Johnson, and the Robert Wood Johnson medical complex.

The station is located directly across from space intended to house a 550,000 sf medical research and development site. The research site is partly on the ground once occupied by a great train watching location, a three story garage on the sunny side of the tracks.  The picture with the NJ.com article shows one of the two high rise parking garages which are also excellent train watching locations. One on each side of the tracks

Paywall possible:  https://www.nj.com/politics/2022/09/hub-city-train-station-to-get-49m-upgrade-murphy-says-it-will-be-a-point-of-pride.html

Date: 09/24/22 14:37
Re: NJ: State plans update to New Brunswick NEC station
Author: jeff56

I worked in that station back in the 80's. We had steam heat in the ticket office; and in the basement
looked like a coal fired boiler. That's where our restrooms were with plenty of passageways to ger lost in,
it was spooky. I remember a big rain storm which screwed up the city sewer, and it all flowed through the basement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/22 14:37 by jeff56.

Date: 09/24/22 17:48
Author: Passfanatic

As a person who has used the New Brunswick Station many times and has railfanned from there plenty, it's time for those upgrades. It would be nice if the platforms were lengthened. The station lighting could be replaced. I haven't used the station at dark in a few decades.

Date: 09/25/22 03:45
Author: joemvcnj

The platforms are too narrow, but I don't know if there is anything they can do about that given the constraints by the retaining wall. 
Before high level platforms, the low level platforms stretched much father east than today. There was a also a very wide portion near the eastbound ticket office witha canopy and long benches. Perhaps it overhang the retaining wall, but I forgot exactly where it was. 

Date: 09/25/22 06:16
Author: Lackawanna484

You are right about the wider space by the east bound ticket hall, but that's where the ramp to the high level platform is now.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0315 seconds